Anyone know about AC and heat pumps?

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
I spotted a swallow over the river at St Ives earlier this week, so Summer's obviously almost here. :)

So... I want to add a combined AC/heat-pump thing to my office. Wall-mount air-blower in the office and a heat-exchanger thingy on the outside. Something like one of these: https://www.orionairsales.co.uk/mitsubishi-heavy-industrial-air-conditioning-srk35zsp-w-wall-35kw12000btu-r32-install-pack-11235-p.asp

That's just an example unit - I haven't specced one yet. Daikin and Fujitsu seem pretty similar. The office itself is about 60 cubic meters, and AFAICS, one of these should manage to cool it down in Summer and warm it in winter. I guess there will be some noise, which I can live with - far better than 30+ degrees.

Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Following this. Thats surprised me how cheap that is! 

I wonder what the costs would be for having an engineer fit it, and I presume these need servicing but at what interval and cost I wonded? 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    I am pretty sure they have got cheaper in recent years.

Most require engineers, AIUI, but this one is DIYable (it is claimed): https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/eiq-12wminv/electriq-eiq12wminv-wall-split-air-conditioner#!#specs

Although, in my case, I am useless at drilling holes in brickwork. In any case, a 3.5kW one is possibly deserving of its own contact breaker in the consumer unit?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I've done quite a bit of marine A/C work before, but never domestic. I reckon the principle is the same, though

1. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to under spec the kit. If you need enough for 60 cu m. then don't get one that's less, more is better in A/C world.

2. These things can have a large starting current spike, so make sure the lecky bits can cope. Advice from a pro lecky would be good.

3. Drilling holes in brickwork is easier than changing strings on a guitar with a Bigsby.

4. I would say most of the work you could DIY. They'll come complete with far more comprehensive instructions than IKEA.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    Thanks @chillidoggy 12000BTU seems about right for my space, but if 14000BTU (say), is only about £100 more expensive, then I'll probably go with that.

Drilling holes in brickwork is easier

As long as there's no requirement that they are lined up with the holes of whatever I'm trying to put on the wall, then, I agree.

The electricity requirements are relatively modest, due to the 3:1 or 4:1 efficiencies - under 10A for heating. I'll try to get some info on the in-rush currents.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    We fitted 3 LG units when I had the studio. Not difficult to do but we had them on their own ring. I'm no expert but we lagged the pipes and apart from a bit of condensation in the tray to be emptied and filter to be cleaned they never went wrong
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    I've got that Mitsubushi one that's in your link. It was fitted for me to an outside office / shed building. Haven't had it long but it is nice and quiet.