Ring Doorbell annoyance

RabsRabs Frets: 2608
in Off Topic tFB Trader
Anyone have a Ring?

We put a doorbell and a floodlight at my mums...

They are both wired in and the floodlight has been fine.. 

But the Doorbell is starting to play up a bit. What I have found out is that when you get it wired in first you have to have a small transformer box installed to reduce the voltage (as its a US device) and not just that, but that power doesnt actually power the doorbell, it just trickle charges the battery.....

The problem being that today (after working ok for about 7 months) the battery was for some reason down to 21%...  I went and checked the electrics.. No problems there and the floodlight is still working.... So I charged the battery a bit by plugging it into the wall to see if I could like, wake the battery up if you like.. It charged to 24%, since I put it back in it went to 25% within the first few hours and I thought great it worked.. But it now just seems stuck at 25%?  (been about 8 hours since I put it back).

Anyone have issue with Ring, any advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Sounds like it just needs a new battery. And this will be a recurring problem

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    We have one but just rotate 2 batteries every 6 weeks or so as it takes 1 minute to switch them out and was much less faff than hard wiring. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3045
    We stuck with using batteries too. Much less fuss that way.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Sorry I can’t help. We’ve got a battery only installation here I’m afraid. 

We didn’t have a hardwired bell to replace so took the easy option! 

You get plenty of weeks out the battery and rotate between two as others mentioned.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    Well the whole thing here was its for my mum.. I had no idea how long the batteries last so we just got it hardwired cos we have a Floodlight too which has to be hard wired so we just thought get both done at the same time.. No bother with swapping batteries... But of course nothing is ever just that simple any more :) 

They are only twenty quid anyway, much cheaper than I thought they would be, so maybe we should get a reserve battery just in case.
  • danodano Frets: 1592
    Rabs said:
    Well the whole thing here was its for my mum.. I had no idea how long the batteries last so we just got it hardwired cos we have a Floodlight too which has to be hard wired so we just thought get both done at the same time.. No bother with swapping batteries... But of course nothing is ever just that simple any more :) 

They are only twenty quid anyway, much cheaper than I thought they would be, so maybe we should get a reserve battery just in case.
    Wow £20 for a battery  ;)

I remember the days when someone knocked on your door and there was the anticipation and guessing who it was when you opened it.

• RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    tFB Trader
    dano said:
    Rabs said:

Wow £20 for a battery  ;)

I remember the days when someone knocked on your door and there was the anticipation and guessing who it was when you opened it.

Lol.. yes.. I dont have one myself..  As said, this if for my mum who lives alone...

And actually for a big lithium ion battery I think £20 is pretty good.. Its like a phone battery but much bigger.