My lockdown guilty pleasure on TV has been .....

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Going off topic...
    Fretwired said:
    Escape to the country ... something I've been thinking of doing.
    Do it. We’ve recently moved from a large-ish (115,000 ish population) town to a village with about a thousand people, a shop, a pub, and a church. Best thing we’ve ever done, and should have done it years ago.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DonnyMacDonnyMac Frets: 43
    Tenable & Tipping Point. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7117
    axisus said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Guilty pleasure?

Not sure it was even a pleasure, but I do feel a bit guilty about watching Gordon Ramsay's Bank Balance.  The whole series. 

There was a strange fascination in the fact that they managed to find contestants so stupid, ignorant and unlikeable that, in comparison, Ramsay himself seemed slightly less of a cunt.
    Ramsay is the celeb I most detest. I absolutely hate him, a disgraceful bully who should never have been given any kind of celeb status. 
    I thought the same until my sons mate (chef) worked for him a few years ago for a period of time . He said he was a caring bloke who always had time for a chat , no hint of aggression.

My sons mate is a 6 ft 5 kick-boxer though tbf
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    HAL9000 said:
    Unforgotten - Decent, but every series is essentially the same
    Nashville - Utter tosh, but has lots of guitars
    The Bay - Not bad but somewhat predictable 
    Nashville I watched the first season of but couldn’t carry on. I think Brad Paisley popping up was the hilight ( Mrs Paisley being one of the lead actors). 
    I’ve started on Unforgotten with MrsTheWeary and it seems okay. A bit unlikely maybe, it’s no Line of Duty. I think some characters are named after blues/ jazz musicians? Might just be coincidence. I don’t think it’s like The Fall where the adherence to guitar brands as names drove me slightly mad watching it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Workaholics 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    Philly_Q said:
    Guilty pleasure?

Not sure it was even a pleasure, but I do feel a bit guilty about watching Gordon Ramsay's Bank Balance.  The whole series. 

There was a strange fascination in the fact that they managed to find contestants so stupid, ignorant and unlikeable that, in comparison, Ramsay himself seemed slightly less of a cunt.
    LOL, I knew you'd get there in the end, @Philly_Q ; ;)  I don't believe the game can actually be won, even if you enough answers on all 12 topics.  I'd like to see them make GR actually do it!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Nitefly said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Guilty pleasure?

LOL, I knew you'd get there in the end, @Philly_Q ; ;)  I don't believe the game can actually be won, even if you enough answers on all 12 topics.  I'd like to see them make GR actually do it!

@Nitefly No-one even got close, did they?  I think there were maybe two couples in the series who actually understood the basic concept of balancing the thing, but there's still a large element of luck.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Life In Pieces 
    Sitcom on Prime. I’m not sure I like it (there is definitely the sense of elites looking down on regular plebs) but I’ve watched 23 episodes and it’s still making me chuckle. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited April 2021
    HAL9000 said:
    Going off topic...
    Fretwired said:
    Do it. We’ve recently moved from a large-ish (115,000 ish population) town to a village with about a thousand people, a shop, a pub, and a church. Best thing we’ve ever done, and should have done it years ago.
    Us too. Went from busy suburbs in Surrey to a small village in the Kent countryside. Two pubs, a community store/post office/coffee shop run by volunteers, a butcher and an art gallery full of stuff done by local artists. Plenty of things to do at the local hall when lockdown is eased, which is one of the things we looked for as we didn’t want to be totally cut off from people or a community. There’s a small ex WW2 aerodrome nearby that has Spitfires and Hurricanes visiting in the summer, phwoar!

Seriously the best thing we ever did too, we love it here. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Diagnosis Murder.
    Quite simply the most realistic police procedural ever broadcast.
    Murder She Wrote comes in a close second.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    In the same way that nobody would live in Midsomer due to the likelihood of being murdered by a loony I'm amazed that the woman in "Murder She Wrote" has any friends left since they seem to get bumped off with alarming regularity.

I will admit to liking Midsomer Murders. It's beautifully shot (as are many of the victims) and it provided useful employment for middle-class actors.

There's also loads of good stuff on Talking Pictures. 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    boogieman said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Going off topic...
    Fretwired said:
    Us too. Went from busy suburbs in Surrey to a small village in the Kent countryside. Two pubs, a community store/post office/coffee shop run by volunteers, a butcher and an art gallery full of stuff done by local artists. Plenty of things to do at the local hall when lockdown is eased, which is one of the things we looked for as we didn’t want to be totally cut off from people or a community. There’s a small ex WW2 aerodrome nearby that has Spitfires and Hurricanes visiting in the summer, phwoar!

We are just about to try - albeit looking to swap London for a leafier part of Bath.

I’m quite nervous about it, as have spent the last 35 years in Brixton and Stoke Newington, so quite used to a mixed urban bag.

But am ready for a bit more p’n q. Can’t stand Escape to the Country though.
    edited April 2021
    boogieman said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Going off topic...
    Fretwired said:

We are just about to try - albeit looking to swap London for a leafier part of Bath.

I’m quite nervous about it, as have spent the last 35 years in Brixton and Stoke Newington, so quite used to a mixed urban bag.

The thing is that lots of the things that make a town - theatres, bars, museums, etc - are currently closed anyway so the change won’t be as dramatic as you might expect. Also, sounds as if Bath will be within easy reach anyway. We’re getting on fifteen miles to the nearest decent sized towns and it’s not really been an issue. The advantages of village life certainly outweigh the inconvenience of not being able to walk into town.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780

I've lived in Streatham, so not far from Brixton, for 30+ years, but I went to university in Bath.

It's a long time since I've been to Bath, but I doubt you'll find it too much of a culture shock.  Bath is small but it has all the things you'd want in a bigger city, just a bit closer together and not far from the countryside!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    I'm doing the whole of Star Trek. 7 shows and about 7 seasons for each and about 26 episodes per series.

Currently watching Voyager. I loved them all back then, so thought I would love them now. But there's no getting away from the fact that they are pretty bad - amazing for a weekly network show, but very ropey. But I can't stop. I have to finish them all now. :anguished: 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    goldtop said:
    I'm doing the whole of Star Trek. 7 shows and about 7 seasons for each and about 26 episodes per series.

Currently watching Voyager. I loved them all back then, so thought I would love them now. But there's no getting away from the fact that they are pretty bad - amazing for a weekly network show, but very ropey. But I can't stop. I have to finish them all now. :anguished: 
    I'm rewatching Enterprise - I like it, shame there was such a crappy ending.  Also sticking with the original Battlestar Galactica, but it is hard going .....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    boogieman said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Going off topic...
    Fretwired said:

Bath is a decent sized town, can’t see you’ll have too many problems adapting. The pace of life might be a bit gentler maybe. I think your biggest problem will be coping with all the tourists; a friend lives in a seaside town in Dorset and it drives her nuts in the summer when she can’t even park her car anywhere near her house because everywhere is rammed with grockles, I imagine Bath might be similar. 
    edited April 2021
    Just started another thread...

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/204220/escape-to-the-country#latest

...to avoid derailing this one any further.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    I’ve watched a shocking amount of crappy gameshows... at one point I could have easily got through about 3.5hrs in a row, every day. Tenable, Tipping Point, The Chase, Pointless and then House Of Games.... mind numbing really. 

Also, A Place In The Sun.  Worth watching when Danni Menzies is presenting and also tempted me into exploring the possibility of buying a holiday home in Bulgaria. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    @RobDavies - Impossible is a good one, makes a change from the others...