Full English Breakfast

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I'll be having eggs & bacon for lunch in a while.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Funniest breakfast moment for me was in 2008 at the Boston Burlington Marriott Hotel, Massachusetts. A colleague and myself sat down for breakfast and after perusing the menu we settled on the American Breakfast.

Bacon, eggs, griddled potatoes, mushrooms, the usual stuff and choice of toast or muffin. I chose toast my mate ordered the muffin.

When the plates came out there sat this huge blueberry muffin plonked in the middle of his eggs and bacon. The waitress asked in my mate wanted ketchup, "Go on Mark have some ketchup on your muffin" I piped up.

He politely declined and after the puzzled waitress had left he simply uttered "filthy fuckers"

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I stayed at the Empire Hotel in Brunei, there were British, american, continental, Malay and Indian breakfasts. 

The Chinese guests didn’t seem to eat courses or have separation. They had sausage, eggs, pancake, syrup, curries all on a single plate and just mixed it all up and shoveled it in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1513
    munckee said:
    I stayed at the Empire Hotel in Brunei, there were British, american, continental, Malay and Indian breakfasts. 

The Chinese guests didn’t seem to eat courses or have separation. They had sausage, eggs, pancake, syrup, curries all on a single plate and just mixed it all up and shoveled it in. 
    I drove touring coaches for a few years and took Chinese people on UK and European tours. I can say without fear of contradiction that I have never seen anyone eat so much. I still can't work out where they put it all. My Grandad was Chinese but I've not inherited that gene.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1276
    hywelg said:
    axisus said:
    When eating a FEB and your doing the every bit on your fork thing, does egg yolk count or does it actually have to be a piece of egg?
    I've never done that. Ever. 

Love a massive fry up brekkie though, could be my favourite food to be honest.
    Nor me. Egg gets paired with bacon, mushrooms with sausage and beans with fried bread/hash browns. 

While we're on the subject. Recommendations for black pudding. Tried just about every version even went to Bury market just to try what was available. Nothing comes close the the black pudding we used to get from E.Grimley, Butchers of Loughborough ,long since gone. 
    Owen Taylor of Alfreton. I’ve yet to find any better black pudding anywhere....and trust me, I’ve tried. 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    I'd love a 'gutbuster' full english but just can't eat them these days, I end up tired all day and wanting to sleep.

Best one to date was at a portakabin in Newhaven before I went sea fishing a few years back, a real health and safety hazard type of place. It was £10 and they let you have it for free if you could finish it. Came on a platter with half a loaf of buttered bread on the side. Me and my mate Clive managed it and we were greeted like conquering heroes the next time we went there :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16084
    I have to say that an English breakfast comes pretty low down the World ranking for me .I much prefer a Spanish Breakfast such as Ensaimada with coffee ,then, bread rubbed with Garlic and Tomato and some Manchego and Iberico Jamon on the side and some olives .
     I love Chinese breakfast ;Congee, Dim Sum or some soup and Noodle and I love Indian Breakfasts of Mango and Papaya followed by Dhosas and Sambar, Chapathi or Sri Lankan breakfasts of Hoppers  with egg and Sambal or Water Buffalo curd with Jaggary
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10183
    A good full English is one of the greatest breakfasts known to man. I will argue this to the death. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    edited April 2021
    Dominic said:
    I have to say that an English breakfast comes pretty low down the World ranking for me .I much prefer a Spanish Breakfast such as Ensaimada with coffee ,then, bread rubbed with Garlic and Tomato and some Manchego and Iberico Jamon on the side and some olives .
     I love Chinese breakfast ;Congee, Dim Sum or some soup and Noodle and I love Indian Breakfasts of Mango and Papaya followed by Dhosas and Sambar, Chapathi or Sri Lankan breakfasts of Hoppers  with egg and Sambal or Water Buffalo curd with Jaggary
    ...and then we ended up picking Papayas whilst strolling along Anjuna beach with Hayley Atwell..... which was nice. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DonnyMacDonnyMac Frets: 43
    Anyone still eat fried bread? Or is that a no-no these days? 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10183
    DonnyMac said:
    Anyone still eat fried bread? Or is that a no-no these days? 
    In moderation, every now again it's fine, every day, not so much. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Ironically the best English breakfast I've had was in the Bally Gally Castle near Larne. Runner-up was in Canal Court in Newry.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited April 2021
    Dominic said:
    I was working at the Shanghai Expo about 7 or 8 years ago. They put us up in the Westin Hotel in the Bund (Waitan). Proper self-service eat-as-much buffet style European breakfast.English as English, plus croissants, Danish etc etc. Tucked away at the side in a very quiet corner was the full Chinese, several congee varieties. The French and Romanian contingent of our party went full fry-up every day.

I went congee. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    The inclusion of a fried slice in a full English is like slipping one more bullet in the Russian Roulette revolver.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Fried bread is way better than toast! Always reminds me of going camping with my Grandad, he'd always do a great fry up on the camping stove then do the bread in all the bacon & sausage fat.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    When I was teaching English in Prague, my students regularly chucked around a few  common phrases.

Two of the most popular being Princess Diana (this was 1991), and ‘Full English Breakfast’.

Here’s the thing; they thought it was an antiquated myth, and quite hilarious when I explained that yes it is a much loved meal, and yes I was partial, particularly when decorating or on the road.

Fortunately, I was skinny at the time...
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Hattigol said:
    mbe said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    I've never understood the appeal english breakfast - even at midday with a hangover 
    You need to try the Full English at the Midland Hotel in Morecambe.

They lay out a bottle of Scotch next to the porridge for you to help yourself. Maybe that's really a Full Scottish Breakfast.
    A Scottish breakfast is just two paracetamol isn’t it?
    Deep-fried paracetamol, you mean...

What about clootie dumplin'?
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

What about clootie dumplin'?
    WANT
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    I haven't had a fried slice for minutes. I'll quickly fry one up before I forget how amazing they are....
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    mbe said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    I've never understood the appeal english breakfast - even at midday with a hangover 
    You need to try the Full English at the Midland Hotel in Morecambe.

They lay out a bottle of Scotch next to the porridge for you to help yourself. Maybe that's really a Full Scottish Breakfast.
    A Scottish breakfast is just two paracetamol isn’t it?

*Deep fried paracetamol*, you mean?