It's 7 Celsius here...the ice cream man just stopped by

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
edited April 2021 in Off Topic
Now that's optimism!

What with the temperatures being like November and my kids being the youngest at 18 & 19 in what is slowly turning into a pensioners paradise here in the Close...that's some hope Mr. Whippy!

He didn't stay parked up long...  =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2355
    Maybe he wasn't selling ice cream?

Ice Cream Wars in the 80s in Glasgow... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    Took my kids for a walk I had coffee, they all had ice cream.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    We’ve had glorious sunshine and no ice cream. 
    Actually I’ve been avoiding our local park as it’ll be jam packed and the litter louts will make me angry but there’s probably an ice cream van there. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    edited April 2021
    Seems the country is upside down today.

We've had 17 degrees in our back garden this afternoon.

But the forecast for Monday is sub zero and snow.  

A Polish couple moved to our village a few years ago, like most foreigners they couldn't understand why the British talk constantly about the weather.  They understand now...

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2355
    Ddigger said:
    Maybe he wasn't selling ice cream?

Ice Cream Wars in the 80s in Glasgow... 
    Also, a lot of 70 year old have spent the last 50 years getting off their faces.  I remember seeing a report on the ages of some drug offenders.

Maybe that explains why Mrs Jones at No. 74 always seems tired and why Mr Jones was manically manicuring the lawn at half past two last Sunday morning?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I prefer eating ice cream in the cold weather. It stays firm longer.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18662
    Sassafras said:
    I prefer eating ice cream in the cold weather. It stays firm longer.
    Softly whipped Mr.Stiffy I assume?
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    The noisy bastard has kept on round here all bloody winter, at least once a week.  The "Match of the Day" theme played on ice cream van chimes can fuck right off.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Ice Cream Vans have changed;
    There are 2 that pitch at a local garden centre ,
    One is a Crepe Van
    The other is an Oyster Bar but they also do Green Lipped Mussels grilled with  Lemongrass and Chilli , Pan Seared Scallops with Black pudding or Tempura Prawns with Sriracha 
    ...........Try sticking a Flake in that !
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Actually , people only "think" it is Ice Cream..........it's actually grotesque;
    Not many realise that the "Whippy " mix is actually a powdered base of Hydrogenised Beef Fat and Potato Starch and has absolutely nothing Dairy -related in it........it has more genetic relationship to Sunday Roast Dinner 
     Now try sticking a Flake in that !........if the thought doesn't make you feel very ill .
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Ours is very optimistic as well. Still everyone has to make a living.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    The ice cream vans around here are always old with little bits of rust. Does anyone make a brand new ice cream van? Where would you go to buy one?

I'm off to Google that.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10178
    edited April 2021
    I have a huge dislike for ice cream vans. I worked nights for near enough 15 years in a job where I needed to be rested to function properly and those guys would wake me up with their stupid jingles every day in the summer, and once awake in the day I have always found it difficult to get back to sleep. Often multiple vans would come and mostly no one would ever come out!

I tried everything to block the noise and they would often be right outside my window so it was futile. I once asked one guy not to play his music on X days and he basically said he had to and was allowed to. 

No offence to any ice cream van men/women here, but I really think playing that music should be banned because to the many who work nights, it's unbelievablely inconsiderate. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Relatives in Lincolnshire posting pictures of falling snow on far this morning so I guess it’s colder nearer to the OP still. 

The ice cream vans around here are always old with little bits of rust. Does anyone make a brand new ice cream van? Where would you go to buy one?

I'm off to Google that.
    They are about £60k new so I guess if you are trying to make a profit you’d keep it until it fell apart. Commercial diesel engines but I guess ice cream vans usually only usually driven quite short distances so their engines would be good for many years. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Relatives in Lincolnshire posting pictures of falling snow on far this morning so I guess it’s colder nearer to the OP still. 

I'm off to Google that.
    They are about £60k new so I guess if you are trying to make a profit you’d keep it until it fell apart. Commercial diesel engines but I guess ice cream vans usually only usually driven quite short distances so their engines would be good for many years. 
    Yep snowed here this morning. No sign of Mr Whippy. I reckon he'd be better off getting a copy of the Racing Post and putting a few bets on this arvo with a few pints and a pasty.