DIY Content : I made a thing.

What's Hot
BodBod Frets: 1298
edited April 2021 in Off Topic
So I made this over the last 2 days. 

I've never been much of a practical person but, over the last few years, things have progressed and I've been turning my hand to a bit of woodworking.  I'm really proud of this one as I designed it on SketchUp and it's pretty much millimeter accurate.

Now to finish the bit of mahogany that resembles the start of a Les Paul Junior DC - that actually scares me though.
0reaction image LOL 30reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Link doesn't work for me

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    Link doesn't work for me

Fixed
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    For me, the link leads to a 404 error message, above an advertisement for hæmorrhoid treatment (complete with charming cross-sectional colon diagram), above a photograph of the self-styled Duke and Duchess of Sussex. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Works for me. Nice job.  ;)
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Bod said:
    So I made this over the last 2 days. 

I've never been much of a practical person but, over the last few years, things have progressed and I've been turning my hand to a bit of woodworking.  I'm really proud of this one as I designed it on SketchUp and it's pretty much millimeter accurate.

Now to finish the bit of mahogany that resembles the start of a Les Paul Junior DC - that actually scares me though.
    Looks awesome, nicely done :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I can recommend uBlock Origin for that particular issue :)

Sorry folks, had trouble posting the pics, but they're showing ok inline now I think?  They are here anyway...
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Good work! Did you build the lovely little dog too?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 123
    Looks great, can I ask where you got the cushions from? I'm planning on doing a campervan conversion and looking for similar sofa/bed style cushions.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Link just leads to a shitty pile of wooden pallets made to look like a bench.
     :) 

Seriously though, nice job.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Looks great, can I ask where you got the cushions from? I'm planning on doing a campervan conversion and looking for similar sofa/bed style cushions.
    I’m sure you know this but several large groups on Facebook for self build campervans ( ours isn’t self built, just had to wait for an inheritance!) if you want to browse but I’m sure they’ll gleefully share information. 

Anyway, as a DIY incompetent myself I’m very impressed @Bod  :smile: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    They're IKEA cushions.  They're pretty good, but stock was a bit erratic so we had to order what was in stock as and when it appeared online - three separate orders by the end of it.  About 70 quid per seat (back and base).
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 123
    Thanks @EricTheWeary and @Bod I'll have a look
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Looks fantastic, I'm jealous.  I'd buy all that wood and let it taunt me for a good year before I got around to butchering the project.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Looks good. Are the cushions weatherproof? 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    How did you prevent the wood twisting? I find timbers are never straight from the timber yard and unless you have (I forgot the name) that machine which plane the wood flat, when you build something that long, the corners are seldom level.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Wish I could do that. Chapeau!
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    How did you prevent the wood twisting? I find timbers are never straight from the timber yard and unless you have (I forgot the name) that machine which plane the wood flat, when you build something that long, the corners are seldom level.
    One of the clever things about the OP’s design is where the construction uses one board set at right-angles to another - it adds strength and can be useful for getting a slightly warped or twisted board to conform.

Planer/thicknessers are useful for preparing material to a consistent width and depth, and if the knives are sharp enough you’ll get an edge jointed well enough for gluing boards together to make a table top (for example). You’re not going to be able to use one to correct the deviation in a 2400 length of material though, that’s just a case of going through the available material and finding the truest bit you can.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    The proportions of that design are spot-on too, it looks really good. I'd be well happy to have that in my garden. 
  • hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Excellent looking thing!
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 367
    Very nice indeed and the dog obviously approves  =)
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!