Culling my CD/record collection

What's Hot
ColsCols Frets: 6953
I’m having a stab at trimming down my reasonably extensive collection of CDs and records, in order to free up space which I require for other purposes.  I’ve resisted this for a while, as I’m a big fan of holding physical copies of my music rather than leaving everything to the mercy of digital storage.

Any advice on criteria for keeping or chucking?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Have you got a target? A number you want to keep?
    Im moving this week and ive decided to chuck my CDs into sealed boxes in the loft and just keep a bare bones selection out - about 400 or so.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    No numerical target.  Most of the CDs have been sitting in my attic since I moved house over 2 years ago; I’d like to get them out beside the stereo, but sacrifices must be made in order for this to be practical.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    We’ll buy em off ya! What have you got, roughly speaking, in a hoarse voice?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    Rip.  Even huge collections won't take forever if you're consistent. 
    Big fan of the recently discovered open source and free, (and cross platform) Strawberry Music Player  which just looked at the mega folder of all my album folders and said, "I'll sort that for you Oli" -- and did, flawlessly. 
    And the discs all went to Music Magpie I think.  Freeing up space and feeling great!
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    edited April 2021
    I was in the same position and kept all mine , but realised after 5 years I’d not touched them and they were just taking space and  decide to have a cull. Sold some on Magpie and got between  50p to £2 each which was better than throwing them away. It’s a really easy process too. Still heartbreaking though when you realise the  hundreds you’ve spent reduced to fuck all! 
    Firstly though I checked prices on eBay and put some on there and they did surprisingly well, some getting more than I originally paid- made about £100 off four items alone,
    You’ll never make much money back but it can all go to the guitar/amp gadget fund can’t it
    The thing you need to remember is nobody wants them anymore, people consume music differently now and it’s only going to get worse for physical media and I don’t think people will go back to cds as they have with vinyl so it might make sense doing it sooner rather than later.
    ( Cue massive leap in cd values now I’ve got rid!)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676
    Scare yourself - listen to some you haven't listened to in ages, or more than once, or (admit it) at all...

you'd be amazed how many raise a staggering "meh".

Then the culling will be somewhat easier...

I found there are about ten-fifteen bands I love to pieces and still buy their physical media, and the rest I can take or leave alongside new stuff.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    We’ll buy em off ya! What have you got, roughly speaking, in a hoarse voice?
    Too many to list at the minute.  The record pile in particular contains a lot of really obscure Irish music, inherited from my father’s collection.
    So far in the ‘Chuck’ pile there’s a bunch of Guitar mag cover CDs from late 90s/00s.  Can’t see me needing those again.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    As far as keeping the physical copy of digital rips, I've always treated it that the right-to-use goes with the purchased item, but the right to rip at all can be quesioned; of course, you can bin the jewel cases to save space.

If you look to sell without cataloguing them, then you're going to have to let them go as a bundle for pennies in the £.

Going to a shop will be pennies in the £.

Selling individually on ebay adds a load of work to list & post, but rarer/sought-after items will find their value.

Selling individually on non-auction sites means you have to determine the value.

If you want to give them away, there'll be a Freecycle group near you.

Car boot season is about to kick off too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Try Ziffit as well as Magpie. I always get better prices from them
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676
    prowla said:
    As far as keeping the physical copy of digital rips, I've always treated it that the right-to-use goes with the purchased item, but the right to rip at all can be quesioned; of course, you can bin the jewel cases to save space.

As always, me and my esteemed colleague here must agree to disagree on this :)

I think the idea that you need to hang on to a bit of plastic in order to keep the rights to use rips of it is ludicrous in the 21st century, but YMMV and we did that debate a few months back.

In the purest legal sense, ripping CDs in the UK remains illegal, but the law is an ass in this case, IMHO.

That said my honest recommendation would be to just chuck them using one of the options in thread, and sign up for your streaming service of choice and get on with life.  Mothering a digital collection is a PITA.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    I might be interested in some vinyl. You won’t get much for CD’s these days.  If you have a list of everything, happy to take a look
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I still buy CDs, got any prog? Jazz fusion? instrumental? Classic rock?

Typing out a list is a chore, could you photograph a bunch of spines at a time and give a price +P&P for x amount in a bundle, people could pick & choose.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I’ll try and make a list or take some pics over the next few days.  CDs are an extremely eclectic mix of rock, jazzy instrumental stuff, blues, grunge and classical.  Vinyl goes all the way from Irish folk, 70s rock weirdness up to late 80s/early 90s funk metal and rock.  Some nice picture discs and coloured vinyl.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I'd definitely be interested in CDs as well. Happy to pay typical MusicMagpie prices, £2-£3 an album for standard stuff, more for rarities.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Id be interested in a vinyl list 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    Yeah, put a list together. I suspect you’d easily sell a few here.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    Brave decision Cols.  Like many here I suspect, I'd be interested in 70s rock vinyl.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874
    I'm interested in the Irish folk on vinyl.  I'm rebuilding my vinyl collection at the moment, so I'm interested generally, but the Irish stuff is particularly appealing.  I don't suppose you've got Mountain Dew by The Clancy Brothers?
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    I'm also interested in what CDs you have.