It was a different time, the 70s...Mungo Jerry 'In The Summertime'

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
edited April 2021 in Music
Not particularly appropriate on a bitterly cold Easter Weekend but I love this song, top tune!

The lyrics wouldn't pass the Millennial woke PC generations sensibilities and poor old Ray Dorset would get cancelled big time for promoting drink driving and advantageous fornication in a lay-by with working class girls.

"In the summertime, when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's right
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find
If her daddy's rich, take her out for a meal
If her daddy's poor, just do what you feel
Speed along the lane, do a turn or return to 25
When the sun goes down, you can make it
Make it good in a lay-by"

What in God's name do they look like?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    Have a drink, have a drive....

That was a good TV advert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    He was a good guy, produced an EP for some friends of mine in the early eighties at his home studio.  Earned a fortune from that song apparently 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Danny1969 said:
    He was a good guy, produced an EP for some friends of mine in the early eighties at his home studio.  Earned a fortune from that song apparently 
    and a shed load more for Kelly Marie's "It feels like I'm in Love" ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9712
    Was that genuinely how people talked back then? Whenever I listen to 69s and 70s pop I'm always quite embarrassed by how cheesy the words are and how they often basically sound like an often inappropriate love poem by a bloke named Dave down the pub
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I must admit I thought the lyric was "do a ton or a ton and twenty five", but I see there's two versions I wonder which is correct.

I remember the song well, it seemed to be at number one for ever, though I think it was "only" seven weeks.

I heard a story that the band had failed an audition for "Opportunity Knocks" a few months before the song became a hit.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    edited April 2021
    Neill said:
    I must admit I thought the lyric was "do a ton or a ton and twenty five", but I see there's two versions I wonder which is correct.

I remember the song well, it seemed to be at number one for ever, though I think it was "only" seven weeks.

I heard a story that the band had failed an audition for "Opportunity Knocks" a few months before the song became a hit.
    I always hear it as “do a ton” so have a drink then hurtle along in your Triumph Stag at 100mph in the sunshine.

Funny thing is I remember as a kid in the mid 70s that the fella next door to where we lived was a bit of a medallion man swanky 70s dude and had a MGB and he took me and my Dad out for spin in it down the local bypass, which at the time was one of those dangerous 3 lane jobs with the shared centre overtaking lane. I was in the back with no seatbelt leaning forward between the front seats as he roared down the middle lane over 100mph.

it really is a great song

Neill said:

I always hear it as “do a ton” so have a drink then hurtle along in your Triumph Stag at 100mph in the sunshine.

Funny thing is I remember as a kid in the mid 70s that the fella next door to where we lived was a bit of a medallion man swanky 70s dude and had a MGB and he took me and my Dad out for spin in it down the local bypass, which at the time was one of those dangerous 3 lane jobs with the shared centre overtaking lane. I was in the back with no seatbelt leaning forward between the front seats as he roared down the middle lane over 100mph.

it really is a great song
    There's a Richard Thompson song "MGB-GT" that's always annoyed me, the lyric goes "two in the front and two in the back, a hundred and ten on the old hog's back".  I always think yes in your dreams mate there's no way an MGB is going at that speed on the hog's back or anywhere else, with four bods in it.  

But your anecdote makes me think perhaps RT did his research...?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11591
    tFB Trader
    Neill said:

You are correct on the recorded lyric 

The backing vocals are quite similar to what Rex were doing at the time too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11591
    edited April 2021 tFB Trader
    It certainly doesn't stand up to scrutiny in any number of ways lyrically under todays sensibilities: sexism, Drink/drive message etc

However it is one of those songs that had a unique sound that takes you back to where you first heard it 

This song always does the same for me 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    edited April 2021
    In another life, I went, as usual, to the Saturday all nighter at the Temple and, suitably chemically enhanced, got into the spirit of the evening. We were all seriously looking forward to the main event - Juicy Lucy - on stage at about 3.00am only to be shocked into sobriety when told that they had been replaced by this new group who were making a big stage debut here tonight.

And it was Mungo Jerry and they were fucking awful.  Couldn't even go home as there were no trains for another four hours.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    edited April 2021
    Phrases like "political correctness" and "woke" are just the words angry people use to decry and diminish decency. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    tFB Trader
    Agree @RandallFlagg that it is a great track - 
    Phrases like "political correctness" and "woke" are just the words angry people use to decry and diminish decency. 
    or to poke fun at the ridiculously over sensitive, snowflake attitude that has pervaded society where it's possible to be offended and outraged by literally anything including the smell of your own farts. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    or to poke fun at the ridiculously over sensitive, snowflake attitude that has pervaded society where it's possible to be offended and outraged by literally anything including the smell of your own farts. 
    You seem quite offended yourself, young man ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I don't recall the last time I was offended by anything or anyone, annoyed yes, offended? no. and I'm not a young man.

I don't recall the last time I was offended by anything or anyone, annoyed yes, offended? no. and I'm not a young man.
    :)
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809
    Was listening to Black Rose by Thin Lizzy this week (superb album).

The track S&M has some borderline dodgy lyrics, as well as the entirely dodgy "This customer was shady, he kept a rubber hose. He liked to beat the ladies, there's nothing wrong with that I suppose". Although in a nod to more enlightened times the next line was the female backing singers' response, "Yes there is!"
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Gary Puckett's "Young Girl" wouldn't be allowed these days.
    scrumhalf said:
    Too bloody right  - shame, it's a really good tune.

More recently ABBA's "Does your Mother Know" is sailing pretty close to the wind these days, and even the ever popular "Dancing Queen" can be heard in a very different light now.  
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Neill said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Too bloody right  - shame, it's a really good tune.

More recently ABBA's "Does your Mother Know" is sailing pretty close to the wind these days, and even the ever popular "Dancing Queen" can be heard in a very different light now.  
    Next you’ll be telling us “do you wanna be in my gang” was a bit dodgy...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom