It was a different time, the 70s...Mungo Jerry 'In The Summertime'

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2411
    This was probably a bad idea even at the time.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    sticker said:
    Danny1969 said:
    He was a good guy, produced an EP for some friends of mine in the early eighties at his home studio.  Earned a fortune from that song apparently 
    and a shed load more for Kelly Marie's "It feels like I'm in Love" ...
    I think it was originally for elvis , then elvis died , scoot on a year or two and it turned into the disco classic by Kelly Marie ,  with those synth drum sounds that go bdooo bdoooo 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wittenhamwittenham Frets: 9
    edited April 2021
    Neill said:
    scrumhalf said:
    Gary Puckett's "Young Girl" wouldn't be allowed these days.
    Too bloody right  - shame, it's a really good tune.

More recently ABBA's "Does your Mother Know" is sailing pretty close to the wind these days, and even the ever popular "Dancing Queen" can be heard in a very different light now.  
    as well as Abba's 'I Kissed the Teacher'.  Or Kenny Rogers' 'Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town' [if I had a gun, I would put her in the ground].
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    edited April 2021
    'Young Girl' is the one I usually reference in these conversations but recently I heard 'Annie I'm Not Your Daddy' by Kid Creole & The Coconuts and some of the lyrics are savage for such a happy, party, sunshine song. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    "Seventeen" by Winger is an uncomfortable one, even in 1988 it seemed a bit weird, I wonder how Kip Winger would feel singing it now?

Going back even further, "Sweet Little Sixteen" by Chuck Berry doesn't really say much in the lyrics, but still...

But most likely with all these songs, the bands concerned just play them and neither they nor the audience give much thought to the words.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    It's a shame  (or is it..?) we have these discussions because you can tear apart an awful lot of great songs from the past.

"My Sharona" is another one that surely wouldn't be written today.   
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2411
    There is a live version of 'Mellow Yellow' in which Donovan makes uncomfortably clear what he means when he sings 'I'm just mad about fourteen, fourteen's mad about me'.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171

...and poor old Ray Dorset would get cancelled big time for promoting drink driving
    On the other hand...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 281
    Slade's Skweeze Me Pleeze Me - 'And I thought you might like to know
    When a girl's meaning "Yes", she says, "No"
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Philtre said:

...and poor old Ray Dorset would get cancelled big time for promoting drink driving
    On the other hand...

That's cognitive dissonance right there. Ray got royalties for a song that promoted care free drink driving that was was also used in a public information film highlighting the dangers of drink driving. 

Fuck.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255

That's cognitive dissonance right there. Ray got royalties for a song that promoted care free drink driving that was was also used in a public information film highlighting the dangers of drink driving. 

Fuck.
    It’s arguable that the second redeemed the first, given how effective it was.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• How is this tune any more immoral and offensive than Wet Ass Pussy, out of interest?

Bye!

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Phrases like "political correctness" and "woke" are just the words angry people use to decry and diminish decency. 
    or to poke fun at the ridiculously over sensitive, snowflake attitude that has pervaded society where it's possible to be offended and outraged by literally anything including the smell of your own farts. 

Or not enough Union Flags around the place. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    Philly_Q said:
    "Seventeen" by Winger is an uncomfortable one, even in 1988 it seemed a bit weird, I wonder how Kip Winger would feel singing it now?

Going back even further, "Sweet Little Sixteen" by Chuck Berry doesn't really say much in the lyrics, but still...

But most likely with all these songs, the bands concerned just play them and neither they nor the audience give much thought to the words.
    There’s ZZ Top’s Francine too, about a guy who loves a girl who just turned 13. It was cringey even back then. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Well never mind lyrics, a long time ago it OK for Jerry Lee Lewis to marry his 13 year old cousin ... that still amazes me and horrifies me now, just mental !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    Philly_Q said:

Can’t see anything wrong from a U.K. point of view