When did student accommodation become stupidly expensive?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    Greatape said:
    ....on top of tuition fees and other expenses. 

It's insane. 
    My first year on campus in 1997 was a shade over 1500 for the academic year (September to the end of May). Roughly 35 quid a week. Going by the Bank of England inflation calculator, the figure for 2020 had it followed inflation would be £2,978 for the 44 week term. 

That same accommodation is £142 per week for the 2021-22 academic year. All tenancies cover the 44 week term so a total of £6,248. 

Staggering. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    Rocker said:
    Slightly off topic but self catering in Rye is not far off the cost of one of the better B&Bs in the area. And B&B give a cooked breakfast and your bed is made!
    When I was a student there was quite a nice hotel next door to the main lecture buildings and there were certainly students who stayed in there. No additional costs, you don't have to pay for the whole year or even holiday periods. I never went into the detail of it but it worked out for some people. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Is it because, with the generous terms of student loans, they have no need of ever actually paying it all back so the landlords see it as free money?
    Fixed that, to reflect the fact Martin Lewis keeps going on about, which is that most students don't repay their loans, so it's not actually a loan at all.

Having said that, the student loan system does scare a lot of people off, disproportionately those from lower income backgrounds. That must mean that the average university goer is now significantly richer, and I wonder if they are consequently happier to pay much higher rents than students would have paid in the past.

As @Greatape says, some of it is overseas students, but from the purpose-built student blocks around here, it's certainly not only overseas students.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    it varies a lot from one Uni to another, and not always the way you might expect, Some Unis milk it
    The place I went to when I was a student is very basic in Manchester, and is around £110-£120 a week
    the ones owned by Unis only charge usually for 38 or 41 weeks, and are far more likely to give refunds than privately owned halls

Some cities have far cheaper accom, some not. First year is best done in Uni-owned halls I think

What City is it?

I know that Liverpool Uni charges a lot, Birmingham is much cheaper, Manchester in the middle
    Some top London Unis have cheap accom, but presumably only for 1 year

I hope you can get the full maintenance loan
  • paulcayepaulcaye Frets: 68

The uni in question is Norwich (NUA) which is a good 4 hours from miseryside and we cannot even visit to have a look at places at the moment, which is a shame. 

We already have one child finishing uni this year, but she spent her final year at home after she transferred for her final year so no direct accommodation costs (which has been a bonus).  Her accommodation in the first two years was just over 4k per year.    

There does seem to be a lot of private companies and unis trying to get as much out of students as possible, which has probably always been the case just never seen it until recently. 

I did think about being a really cheap bast**d and make her get the train every Monday morning and put her in a cheap B&B until Friday then she can get the train home, but the mrs seems to have put the blockers on that.  :)
  • In leicester I think i paid about 50 quid a week in 2007 ish 
  • watch out for the great council rippoff too.    Students dont pay council tax. but the moment their course finishes they become liable. No problem but what happened to my daughter and countless others lets the council make millions out of students. Her course finishes and she graduates, fine, but her rent is paid up for two more months so she stays there. end of tenency she leaves. the council wait to the next term to send the bill, apparently, even though her mail is forwarded it never gets to her. So they add on £125 collection charge, then give it to bailliffs twho add on their charges. We had a massive battle with the council to get them to revoke the charges. according to the letting agents this is a big scam by the council, thousands of students get caught out on this. The council have records of whose living there so could easily send the bills out in time.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3492
    mart said:
    Is it because, with the generous terms of student loans, they have no need of ever actually paying it all back so the landlords see it as free money?
    Fixed that, to reflect the fact Martin Lewis keeps going on about, which is that most students don't repay their loans, so it's not actually a loan at all.

Having said that, the student loan system does scare a lot of people off, disproportionately those from lower income backgrounds. That must mean that the average university goer is now significantly richer, and I wonder if they are consequently happier to pay much higher rents than students would have paid in the past.

As @Greatape says, some of it is overseas students, but from the purpose-built student blocks around here, it's certainly not only overseas students.
    No, indeed. There are a lot of wealthy, British students there. 
    paulcaye said:

The uni in question is Norwich (NUA) which is a good 4 hours from miseryside and we cannot even visit to have a look at places at the moment, which is a shame. 

We already have one child finishing uni this year, but she spent her final year at home after she transferred for her final year so no direct accommodation costs (which has been a bonus).  Her accommodation in the first two years was just over 4k per year.    

There does seem to be a lot of private companies and unis trying to get as much out of students as possible, which has probably always been the case just never seen it until recently. 

I did think about being a really cheap bast**d and make her get the train every Monday morning and put her in a cheap B&B until Friday then she can get the train home, but the mrs seems to have put the blockers on that.  :)
    this one is £102
    Beechcroft Accommodation | Norwich University of the Arts (nua.ac.uk)

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    paulcaye said:

this one is £102

That doesn't look like an Ensuite, looks like a shared bathroom?
    paulcaye said:

this one is £102

That doesn't look like an Ensuite, looks like a shared bathroom?
    heh
    went through that conversation here
    After insisting on en suite, our daughter ended up in one with shared bathrooms, and it's been great for her