Freda Payne - Band Of Gold

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
A song about matrimonial night impotence and subsequent sexual frustration!

Great tune, and oh my, Freda Payne makes me swoon. She looks amazing and so do the guys and gals in the audience.

https://youtu.be/bByhEYXJO84

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Fantastic song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Check out the “Afro Sheen” advert at the end of the video! 

• yockyyocky Frets: 809
    Amazing song. The contrast between the lyrics and music is quite jarring.

Afghan Whigs did a great cover and put some of the desperation in the music too

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I was 14 when that came out and I remember our daily newspaper published a photo of Freda in a dress with a full length slit down the side, far too much for a pubescent teenager to take I can tell you.  

1970 was a cracking year for number one singles, apart from In the Summertime and Band of Gold we had Spirit in the Sky, Tears of a Clown, Voodoo Child, I hear you Knocking, and thanks to Rolf Harris' antics we will never have to listen to Two Little Boys ever again.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    The lyrics would pass as a country song. 
    ( Wikipedia says) Ray Parker Jr on guitar and Dennis Coffey on sitar, I presume a Danelectro Bellzouki. 
    Ray did loads of sessions and songwriting but best known as a one hit wonder artist. Nice interview with him on Tim Pierce’s YouTube channel. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    ( Wikipedia says) Ray Parker Jr on guitar and Dennis Coffey on sitar, I presume a Danelectro Bellzouki. 
    Ray did loads of sessions and songwriting but best known as a one hit wonder artist. Nice interview with him on Tim Pierce’s YouTube channel. 
    Maybe, if they were cousins and the guy had just lost his dog and had his truck stolen.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Such a weird song. Was he impotent, or was he gay?

According to Wikipedia the recorded song was edited for time. Cut lines include: 

"And the memories of our wedding day, and the night I turned you away" 

"Each night, I lie awake and I tell myself, the vows we made gave you the right, to have a love each night."

I'll try telling Mrs_bob that's how wedding vows work.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Looking at Freda, I'd say insane.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18679
    edited April 2021
    I just did a major double take there. Thought you'd said 'Denise Coffey on sitar'   :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denise_Coffey
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Number one on the day I was born.   =)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289

According to Wikipedia the recorded song was edited for time. Cut lines include: 

"And the memories of our wedding day, and the night I turned you away" 

"Each night, I lie awake and I tell myself, the vows we made gave you the right, to have a love each night."

I'll try telling Mrs_bob that's how wedding vows work.

The lyrics also include the lines:
    Hoping soon/That you'll walk back through that door/And love me like you tried before

which suggests that there was once a physical relationship (then again "tried before" suggests it wasn't suuceesful.

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3003
    Neill said:
    I was 14 when that came out and I remember our daily newspaper published a photo of Freda in a dress with a full length slit down the side, far too much for a pubescent teenager to take I can tell you.  

1970 was a cracking year for number one singles, apart from In the Summertime and Band of Gold we had Spirit in the Sky, Tears of a Clown, Voodoo Child, I hear you Knocking, and thanks to Rolf Harris' antics we will never have to listen to Two Little Boys ever again.
    Freda Payne  Vintage black glamour Black beauties Beautiful black women

I never realised she was such a good looking lady. Great voice, great song, probably underrated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom