Modding a Mustang or Duo Sonic to a "Musicmaster"?

What's Hot
Seems like a fairly simple mod. A hardtail Mustang or Duo Sonic and just get a new pickguard with neck pickup only and voila. Perhaps a 3 saddle old style bridge too if it's a direct replacement.
My question being, is the Squier bullet Mustang worth a look at here?
I had a bullet strat before which I modded. It was as light as a feather though, but played reasonably well for the price. I also think these bullets have enough space under the stock pickguard where a single coil and a new pickguard could work easily.
Are they worth a punt, or worth holding out for a used duo sonic or player series Mustang?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The main worry with a replacement pickguard mod is fastening screw alignment. 

Both versions of the current MIM Fender Duo-Sonic are routed to accept HS pickups. A P90 should squeeze into the bridge position cavity. A Jazzmaster pickup would not. (Just sayin'.)

New or used, there will be a significant price difference between Squier Bullet and Fender Player series.

If you really want a Fender Musicmaster, PM HarrySeven.
    Be seeing you.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    a bullet will convert easily, plenty of room under the guard 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    @WezV good to know thanks! 
    @Funkfingers I never thought of the screw placement issue
    Much depends upon whether you desire a Musicmaster format guitar for its look or its sound.

If you are committed to the costs of changing at least one pickup and the pickguard, it might be more affordable to simply change the pickups to humbucker-sized single coils.

Alegree offers his Conflagration neck position.

Eastwood Airline VVSC pickups are single coils under a humbucker cover. The neck/Rhythm unit does smooth 'n' chimy. The bridge/Treble unit is all sorts of nasty - instant Jack White.
    Be seeing you.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited April 2021
    This is a Bullet, I might still have the scratchplate....

https://i.imgur.com/oVoV2P1.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Sweet. 

Obvious question. Where did you get the white and pearlescent blue 'plates?
    Be seeing you.
    edited April 2021
    Sweet. 

Obvious question. Where did you get the white and pearlescent blue 'plates?
    Me?
    The blue one came from Scratch-it
    The white one form earlpilanz on ebay of you message him he will do custom stuff my bullet Mustang ( work in progress) currently has 3 full size humbuckers...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/earlpilanz

edit, they both came from the above ebay seller

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

@Funkfingers going for the look similar to @paulnb57 pic. Wouldn't need to put a period correct pickup in the neck, but a regular/modern output neck pickup. I don't think I'd stick a hotrails or anything like that in there.
    edited April 2021
    I tried a Hotrail in mine, it didnt suit it at all, a decent single coil is fine...

@Creed_Clicks I have the white scratchplate going spare if you would like it...it fits the Bullet Mustang with Standard bridge...(which with a small amount of fettling is fine)

https://i.imgur.com/JoNmjsZ.jpg

Current state of play with my clunker...very much work in progress...

https://i.imgur.com/oj1F6ft.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @paulnb57 was that bridge a direct drop in ?
    @paulnb57 was that bridge a direct drop in ?
    No, it's a different shape, but you can modify the standard bridge to three saddle

Wonder would a tele half bridge work....
    edited April 2021
    It will but the mounting holes dont line up, the half bridge plate only just cover the original holes...so I didnt bother....actually I did but the original holes just showed, so I removed it...

Easiest option is to mod the original bridge plate, source 3 saddles, drill three intonation screw holes in between the original 6, job done.....works well....Wilkinson Tele saddles work well...

My Bullet Mustang has had several interations, so much so Ive had to dowel the scratchplate screw holes as repeated removing and refitting saw the holes strip and the screw wouldnt hold, feel free to ask what works and what doesnt....Ive always kept them top loading....

paulnb57 said:
    It will but the mounting holes dont line up, the half bridge plate only just cover the original holes...so I didnt bother....actually I did but the original holes just showed, so I removed it...

Easiest option is to mod the original bridge plate, source 3 saddles, drill three intonation screw holes in between the original 6, job done.....works well....
    Good to know. Is it even worth replacing the stock bridge with something of better quality, as in the base metal? Or just replace the saddles? Looks like this could be a nice cheap project.
    No idea what pickup would work well in the neck. Something by Iron Gear etc?
    edited April 2021
    I, personally dont think replacing the bridge plate is worth the expense, I modded mine to a modded Toronado bridge as I saw someone else do it and liked the look, but the original bridge is perfectly good as standard, of you fettle it a bit, some of the intonation screws are a bit long and can foul the wound strings, depends on gauge....frets will more than likely need at least a good polish. It all works ok, but its a cheap platfrom ripe for modding
    Any reasonable quality single coil will work ok, Iron Gear are ok...

Standard tuners are ok and do the job, but I replaced mine with lockers from Axetec, just cos I can and enjoy modding...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    I really.like the look of these cheap Squier bullet Mustangs.... may get one for my daughter. 
    Loads of great mod threads for these all over the internet.
    paulnb57 said:

Easiest option is to mod the original bridge plate, source 3 saddles, drill three intonation screw holes in between the original 6, job done.....works well....Wilkinson Tele saddles work well...

My Bullet Mustang has had several interations, so much so Ive had to dowel the scratchplate screw holes as repeated removing and refitting saw the holes strip and the screw wouldnt hold, feel free to ask what works and what doesnt....Ive always kept them top loading....
    I would also topload. I had a bullet strat a few years back and was pretty happy with the mods done to it. (Just changed it to a H only guitar at the bridge). I am just convincing myself that as they are so cheap, they have to be rubbish!!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I went to through body stringing as I much prefer it to top loading bridges, but i would only recommend it as a mod of its something you are used to doing.   

I would also topload. I had a bullet strat a few years back and was pretty happy with the mods done to it. (Just changed it to a H only guitar at the bridge). I am just convincing myself that as they are so cheap, they have to be rubbish!!
    They are a basic, build down to a cost guitar, but they are not rubbish....

@Creed_Clicks ;

This is your fault!   ;)

https://i.imgur.com/TzkMYPi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5kcZnHV.jpg

Waiting for the postie to drop new scratchplate screws through the door..