Modding a Mustang or Duo Sonic to a "Musicmaster"?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    @paulnb57 That's what I´m thinking of doing. Nice touch on the bridge as well. I might go blue bullet and blue pickguard tort style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    WezV said:
    I went to through body stringing as I much prefer it to top loading bridges, but i would only recommend it as a mod of its something you are used to doing.   
    I did a nice mod to my Bullet using a mustang style bridgeplate that was cut for top-mount stringing. It's very tidy, and very effective, and only required the routing of a simple channel for the ball-ends to sit in.
    edited April 2021
    @paulnb57 I just ordered the blue one. I am thinking of a blue pearloid type pickguard and some white volume and tone knobs maybe as well. Might stick a white pickup in the neck only.
    Should I look at new electrics, and saddles for the bridge?
    Can anyone remember the name of the guy doing the pickguards on ebay. Scottish I think? Earpilanz?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    @paulnb57 I just ordered the blue one. I am thinking of a blue pearloid type pickguard and some white volume and tone knobs maybe as well. Might stick a white pickup in the neck only.
    Should I look at new electrics, and saddles for the bridge?
    Can anyone remember the name of the guy doing the pickguards on ebay. Scottish I think? Earpilanz?

Earlpilanz is the ebay seller 
    There is not much wrong with the bridge really, EAB string intonation screws are a bit long, need shortening by about 5mm, but are easily shortened and the saddle height adjustment allen screws are a bit sloppy, but a dab of blue loctite would probably fix that, some bridges seem better than others...

Electrics are ok ish but theres no need to replace straight away...

If it were me doing it again, Id try the bridge first, before replacing...I used solid shaft pots and white Jazz bass knock off knobs....

On my blue one I noticed the skunk stripe filler on the back of the neck seemed to have moved and created a ridge down the neck.....deep joy! I pressed it back in with firm thumb pressure!....amazingly neck relief hasnt moved, God only knows how Ill fix it!....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ai!I hope bits don't start falling off the neck!! I had the bullet strat, modded it, and it was a nice guitar for the money, if not a bit light. But very comfy.
    Custom blue pearl pickguard ordered. Might go for a white or off white pickup and change the volume and tone knobs to white or cream ones as well.
    I suppose in this case, I should be looking for "neck" pickups, or should I consider "middle" etc, as it will be a 1 pickup only guitar...
    Custom blue pearl pickguard ordered. Might go for a white or off white pickup and change the volume and tone knobs to white or cream ones as well.
    I suppose in this case, I should be looking for "neck" pickups, or should I consider "middle" etc, as it will be a 1 pickup only guitar...
    I doubt it matters what pickup you use, mines a middle, single coil size P90...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Neck or middle spec will be fine, and even most 'bridge' ones will be. If you overdo it with a very high winding it might be a bit muddy, but it's probably quite an inherently bright guitar anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hmm lots of options. Think ill go for a regular strat neck pickup or a p90 single coil and won’t go hot/modern output ...
    While I don't want to ovethink the pickup selection, would a Lace Sensor be too sterile? (the light blue one is suggested for the neck, or the purple one for a P90 sound). Other than that, the Iron Gear Pig Iron looks like a good cheap enough choice. I've been happy with IG pickups in the past.
    @paulnb57 out of curiosity where did you get the replacement volume and tone knobs? I am thinking of cream or white replacements and a matching pickup colour...
    edited May 2021