Tempo? Really?

Just received notifications of my Gym reopening and it brought someting to mind that's made me giggle every time I experience it.

It's the instructors in the classes.  They can't tell the difference between volume and tempo!

Most of the music played is modern dancey type stuff with repetitive sampled vodcals (I'm sure there's a defining phrase...).  They all have some form of chorus type thing with an apparent rush up to it (machine gun snares or similar), with some sound effect or other.

The instructors urge us all to speed up with the tempo for the chorus...  and they generally go mad and do lots of random movement, that has no relation to the rhythm.

But they're all at a fixed tempo, clearly from some drum synth or other!

Is this normal - or just the gym where I go?

As a slight aside, one asked to recommend a song with a fast tempo that we might know - I suggested "Ace of Spades", Lemmy's anthem.  The instructor had never heard of it (~30yrs)!  The rest of the grey haired class had a good laugh at his expense though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    edited April 2021
    Sounds like theyre trying to describe a crescendo both in terms of music and activity lol. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • I had this once at a spin class thing. I was trying to point it doesn't really get faster just the subdivisions change.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9692
    It's a bit like how guitarists confuse tone and timbre ;) they are just confusing tempo with rhythm
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189
    Sounds dreadful 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    I like it when they shout about "pumping" to which I always mentally prefix "eggy"
  • randellarandella Frets: 4165
    Most of the music played is modern dancey type stuff with repetitive sampled vodcals (I'm sure there's a defining phrase...).  

"Bland commercial house" should probably cover it.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    If it was a real drummer it would just get faster and faster unt everyone had heart attacks. And obviously it would never get quieter again after a crescendo.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • danodano Frets: 1590
    It's the instructors in the classes.  They can't tell the difference between volume and tempo!

It's not tempo vs volume they can't differentiate, it's the transition from verse to chorus by the sounds of it. Volume is constant, tempo is constant. 

It's likely they are musical ignorant, but i bet they can outclass me at taking selfies in a mirror in gym gear.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    dano said:

It's likely they are musical ignorant, but i bet they can outclass me at taking selfies in a mirror in gym gear.
    It's a tad unsettling that a chap (presumably like the rest of us who frequent guitar forums) would know something like that dano..  :)
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    edited April 2021
    Wasn’t Tempo in Denmark Street? No. It was Ealing became Flying Pig
    edited for accuracy 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 984
    dano said:

:)  Absolutely!!!