Double Deckers

What's Hot
Wow - just had my first one in....a very long time.

Hmmmm - it was great. And reminded me of a chocolate bar of Frosties (grrrreaaattt) !
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27460
    Bit early for a summer holiday ?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    They seem so small these days.   Used to love them as a kid
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427
    My favourite bars! I'm eating one right now, a bit squashed because I put it in my jeans pocket and forgot about it but it tastes grrreat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Just ain't the same without the raisins.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    You knew you’d eaten a chocolate bar with the old ones. My jaw used to ache from all the chewing. 

Really want a Double Decker now! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    CHRISB50 said:
    You knew you’d eaten a chocolate bar with the old ones. My jaw used to ache from all the chewing. 

Really want a Double Decker now! 

Texan bars were the ones that gave your jaw a workout!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited April 2021
    A much under-appreciated bar for me. Somehow always in the shadow of the Mars Bar, Snickers and even Cadbury’s Fruit & Nut....

Sad really, because if you were to present me with a selection box that contained one, I choose it over anything else in there.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22786
    I've always found them very variable.  Sometimes the crunchy bit isn't crunchy enough, and sometimes the soft bit is rubbery. 

Maybe it's very sensitive to temperature, or maybe you just have to get them while they're fresh.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Philly_Q said:

A young Peter Firth many years before he freaked me out in Equus. And Brinsley Forde many years before I saw him in Aswad ( which was a lot less freaky).

At some point I went off chocolate bars like that, although not chocolate  per se. I'd still murder a Crunchie.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2044
    Love them. Anyone remember the first boost bars which were coconut based or Secret bars? Yum!!!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    My wife eats them ingredient by ingredient!

Philly_Q said:

A young Peter Firth many years before he freaked me out in Equus. And Brinsley Forde many years before I saw him in Aswad ( which was a lot less freaky).

At some point I went off chocolate bars like that, although not chocolate  per se. I'd still murder a Crunchie.

I watch Ola Englund's YouTube channel.  On Sundays he has a segment called "Ola Tasting Shit" where he and his wife Louise sample snacks and chocolate which people have sent them from around the world.

This week they had stuff from Australia, including something called a Violet Crumble which looked very much like a large Crunchie.  The Englunds seemed quite baffled by it and didn't like it at all.  So I guess they don't have Crunchie in Sweden.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    The Godwin’s Law equivalent for chocolate bar threads is, of course, to mention that wagon wheels are smaller than they used to be...
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I wondered how the campaign against obesity was going.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    CMW335 said:
    Love them. Anyone remember the first boost bars which were coconut based or Secret bars? Yum!!!
    I don't, but I remember Cabana. Coconut and cherries inside and very nice.

Double deckers aren't what they were years ago. The chewy stuff on the top now resembles something like a dumbed down Texan bar (i.e. you don't require jaw reconstruction after eating one). They used to have a more crumbly and nicer texture. Unless I imagined it.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

I watch Ola Englund's YouTube channel.  On Sundays he has a segment called "Ola Tasting Shit" where he and his wife Louise sample snacks and chocolate which people have sent them from around the world.

This week they had stuff from Australia, including something called a Violet Crumble which looked very much like a large Crunchie.  The Englunds seemed quite baffled by it and didn't like it at all.  So I guess they don't have Crunchie in Sweden.
    The Violet Crumble sounds nice. The Australians have what is pretty much the best chocolate biscuit, the Tim Tam ( aka Penguin on acid), so I trust them with a chocolate product. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Deadman said:
    I don't, but I remember Cabana. Coconut and cherries inside and very nice.
    Yeah, Cabana was great, I'm surprised it's never been resurrected.  It was just a tad sickly though, it might have been even better with plain chocolate rather than milk.

The one I miss most is Nutty.  A stick of fudge, wrapped in caramel with an outer layer of unsalted peanuts:

Rowntrees Nutty bar  Nutty bars Retro sweets Childhood memories 70s

Here's someone's attempt at a recreation:

Nuttish - Reverse-Engineering The Rowntrees Nutty Bar - Atomic Shrimp

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    Of course the real reason I posted the thread is that I am "off Topic" these days...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom