GAK vs. Andertons

What's Hot

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited April 2021
    I've always used Andertons and used their price match to get a good deal. However, these days they seem to have the highest prices, no visible price match link, and a lot of stock "Preorder".  Did something change?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    Philtre said:
    I've always used Andertons and used their price match to get a good deal. However, these days they seem to have the highest prices, no visible price match link, and a lot of stock "Preorder".  Did something change?
    Pandemic happened.  Supply and demand.

Shops don’t really need to price match these days, getting stock is a win and it will sell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Gassage said:
    I'd rather shit in my own hands and clap than use Anderton's.

I really despise them.
    I’d subscribe to the YouTube channel you post that on!!!!!

do it!... ffs do it!!!!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Gassage said:
    I'd rather shit in my own hands and clap than use Anderton's.

I really despise them.
    They speak highly of you!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Philtre said:
    Pandemic happened.  Supply and demand.

Shops don’t really need to price match these days, getting stock is a win and it will sell.
    Yep. You should try buying IT equipment in bulk at the moment after the government bought 1 million laptops and handed them out. Then add in the Suez backlog, factory closures due to Covid and a plethora of other delays...
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I've used both this year. Both times I've had issues with new products and both times I've been dealt with fairly and swiftly.

The Andertons one was for something under £100 yet they replaced it (twice) at their cost and on overnight delivery. The first swap was an exchange at my front door, actually. The courier gave me the replacement as he took the faulty unit away.

For GAK, the product was £450ish. They don't do doorstep swaps. They did a collect, test immediately and ship the replacement out the same day for overnight delivery.

All free-of-charge by both. No complaints from me. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    Used GAK a few times, no complaints.

Used Andertons once, poor experience on a few levels.

So would use GAK.

I may have just been unlucky with Andertons, but you know what they say, fool me once shame on you...
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    I am also perplexed as to why there seems to be such a hatred of Anderson’s round here? I haven’t got any personal experience of buying from them so can’t weigh in, but I’m also not aware of anything they/Lee has done that is morally wrong?
    There was a bit of outrage recently when they announced they were starting a subscription channel on YouTube where you paid to access their back catalogue of videos advertising the products they sell....
    Just read the thread, hopefully the same reasoning prevails that stopped them making a limited edition Miku. 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Rocky1991 said:
    I am also perplexed as to why there seems to be such a hatred of Anderson’s round here? I haven’t got any personal experience of buying from them so can’t weigh in, but I’m also not aware of anything they/Lee has done that is morally wrong?
    There was a bit of outrage recently when they announced they were starting a subscription channel on YouTube where you paid to access their back catalogue of videos advertising the products they sell....
    Just read the thread, hopefully the same reasoning prevails that stopped them making a limited edition Miku. 

You should see the comments on their YouTube video announcing it....

If Gassage had put his shit on a sandwich it would have gone down better... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Stevepage said:
    Always had great service with online orders from GAK. Never bought in store from them though. 

Andertons have been fine but better service in store.

don’t get me started on GuitarGuitar’s online service... 
    Buying at GAK in person is one of life’s little pleasures I’d recommend. Mostly because afterwards you can wander round the lanes and get a beer in a quirky pub.. 
    The one time I did walk past GAK's front door I'd been out with old mates the night before for too much beer in several quirky pubs. That and I was already cutting it fine for a train, otherwise a look at some guitars and a cheeky hair of the dog might have been just the thing.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    I went off Anderton's entirely after they let Mason from Vertex effects take the piss out of them and then made excuses on his behalf.

I've used GAK a few times in the past and had service varying from good to indifferent.

Merchant City Music in Glasgow are my shop of choice for new gear but they're not as big as the bigger boys so depends if they stock what you want. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I think doubting Lee Anderton's moral compass and calling him greedy is harsh seeing as he just raised over £100,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust.

I've used both shops with no issues for what it's worth.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Oh dear, what have I started.... :)

Just to be clear, it was meant as a light-hearted thread, I'm not really having a go at Andertons.  Although I might if the item never turns up...

If I could've ordered both items from one shop I would have, but I couldn't find them anywhere.  It was fairly random that I ended up with GAK (never ordered from them before) and Andertons (have used them before, with... OK results).
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 451
    Never really had a problems with either although I ordered my latest bit of gear from GAK (rarely use them) - good price and arrived on time as promised. They used FedEx though. Only ordered from GAK because they were £100 less than Andertons (£949 vs £1055) and Andertons weren't interested in a price match (and nor were Peach) Andertons are not far from me so would have preferred them but hey ho...... 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited April 2021
    I really don't understand the hatred for Andertons. They're just a shop who are probably the best in the game at marketing and doing well as a consequence. The paid subscription, not something I'd pay for but happy to continue to watch their normal YouTube stuff for free. 

I've had good experiences with both shops. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I've used both, GAK more so. I've noticed that GAK seem to be a lot cheaper than most places. I also use GuitarGuitar quite a lot. I did the same thing, ordered two separate things from GG and Andertons over the Easter weekend, the Andertons parcel arrived first haha!

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Having been in both a few times I would pick Andertons over GAK. Have always found the staff in andertons to be friendly and helpful compared to totally indifferent staff in GAK. 

Ordered a squier from andertons that had a rubbish nut, they offered to have it back at their expense but I took it to a local shop instead. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I favour GAK. The other shop has become too much like a nauseating cult. Familiarity breeds contempt.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited April 2021
    They’re both okay, but also poor in some ways. 

I prefer to use my local PMT over anything but they’re poorly stocked with lots of stuff. Other than that, I think Guitar Guitar is the best for online stuff. 

I can’t watch Danish Pete, Chappers etc anymore but I like Jack who does the synth stuff. He lives for the low end. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    I ordered a DV mark little Jazz one afternoon from GAK .It was marked out of stock but it arrived the next morning .Great service.
This discussion has been closed.