GAK vs. Andertons

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I’ve always thought shop loyalty is as strange a concept as employee loyalty. 

Every shop is out there to make money. They really don’t care where their money comes from, and though some do a better job than others at keeping you happy, the earned loyalty is really only of interest to them if you spend more money.

Personally I never say never. If something is in stock I will go for the cheapest price. I bought a keyboard from Andertons recently - they were actually £25 more expensive than some other shops, but I had somehow accrued about £75 in “loyalty points” from over the years and bought it from them as I got it for £50 cheaper than anywhere else. 

Next time, it might be GAK, PMT, or who knows. The way to keep shops competitive is to vote with your wallet and shop around. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    When I lived in Guildford, I used Andertons a few times. Didn't like the place or their staff or the 'Captain'.
    When I lived in Brighton, I became friends with Gary 'Mr GAK' Marshall.
    There was a far better vibe to GAK.
    Spent thousands there.
    So there you have it, incontrovertible proof of something or other! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the YouTube channel. I haven't bought a thing from them, but I am cheap and buy most things secondhand. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    Bridgehouse said:

You are Mudcrutch and ICM £5
    You are Mudcrutch and ICBM £5. Fixed that for you. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    In terms of internet shopping, I have found GAK to be really good, and really helpful.

But my best experiences have been with PMT - which may sound nuts, but has been the case.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ennspek said:
    I think doubting Lee Anderton's moral compass and calling him greedy is harsh seeing as he just raised over £100,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust.
    Jimmy Saville is estimated to have raised over £40 million for charity. What is your point? Was he a man of sound morals?

More so than ever public donations are more of a PR exercise.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    edited April 2021
    Andertons isn’t necessarily the most expensive.

i have been looking for a Fender Moulded case to replace a no brand tweed case that I have.  Andertons have it for £139 and GAK for £159, PMT is £179.

It depends.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    GAK
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Update:

The Andertons parcel turned up at 8.20pm!

So all's well with the world, GAK are great, Andertons are great... and so are DPD.  ;)

(I haven't opened them yet.  Hope they've sent the right stuff and it all works...)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Philly_Q said:
    Update:

So all's well with the world, GAK are great, Andertons are great... and so are DPD.  ;)

(I haven't opened them yet.  Hope they've sent the right stuff and it all works...)
    How can coming in second be called 'great'?
    Trump would say"LOSERS"!!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    Sassafras said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Update:

So all's well with the world, GAK are great, Andertons are great... and so are DPD. 

How can coming in second be called 'great'?
    Trump would say"LOSERS"!!!
    Is that what he call himself at the moment for the next 4 years?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7114
    I’ll usually try and shop in person at project music, mansons or absolute but if they don’t have what I want I then try peach and coda online because of their presence on here. Failing that I’ll use anyone UK based really and luckily I’ve had no issues . For some reason I’ve used Guitar Guitar more than the rest and they’ve been very good.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    edited April 2021
    Andertons are my no.1 ‘go to’ for most pedals, and other stuff.... never had anything but great service from them; and the returns polocy is superb and fast.

Also, Andertons are really good in rectifying wrongs.

To be fair, GAK have been good too. Both offer next day, DPD have now become the market leader for me. Great App, safe place options etc.

We live in special times with regards to fast delivery, returns and options.

Gear4music and Juno also excellent. GG much improved.

For store visits, and BIG guitar and amp purchases, Coda is my fave.
  • (gushing) Andertons are amazing. They took back a guitar of mine that they really didn't have to and sorted me right out. They've taken other stuff back without hassle, too. Their service is second to nobody, in my book.

That's not to say I've not had great dealings with other shops, we are very lucky here in the UK, blessed with a few great ones. But Anderton's, without doubt, have done me a solid on multiple occasions and if I can repay their kindness by mentioning them here, I will.

They also sold me my pride and joy, Broadcaster, so I'm forever grateful for that too! :-) (/gushing)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    Calls himself the Captain??? Say no more.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    (gushing) Andertons are amazing. They took back a guitar of mine that they really didn't have to and sorted me right out. They've taken other stuff back without hassle, too. Their service is second to nobody, in my book.

That's not to say I've not had great dealings with other shops, we are very lucky here in the UK, blessed with a few great ones. But Anderton's, without doubt, have done me a solid on multiple occasions and if I can repay their kindness by mentioning them here, I will.

They also sold me my pride and joy, Broadcaster, so I'm forever grateful for that too! :-) (/gushing)
    100% agree mate
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Nothing but good experiences of Andersons across 30 years of custom. A few issues along the way, but I've always been looked after. 
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    GAK sold me a partscaster pretending to be a Robert cray strat. That’s enough for me to not return..

No issues with a few purchases from Andertons. Can take or leave their ads/vids on YouTube but they’ve done brilliantly in difficult business to succeed nowadays so hats off to them. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2021
    flyingv said:
    Not that it matters and not want to start another Chapman hating thread but I think...I THINK it was Chapman who called Lee the Captain when Andertons videos was hosted there, Rob introduce the video and he called himself the monkey lord or something and gave Lee the nickname the Captain.
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    flyingv said:
    Not that it matters and not want to start another Chapman hating thread but I think...I THINK it was Chapman who called Lee the Captain when Andertons videos was hosted there, Rob introduce the video and he called himself the monkey lord or something and gave Lee the nickname the Captain.
    Sounds about right 
This discussion has been closed.