GAK vs. Andertons

What's Hot

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    One can say it is in a way a perona on his channel, it's only a nickname.  Honestly, I don't really care or see how it matters to anyone.  It's just a name he now adopted on Andertons.  In a sense he is the captain of his own company. Afterall, he does own it.  He is not suggesting he is in the army or on a literal boat.

Plus in the army a Captain is still a junior officer rank, in the Navy it's pretty senior, the equivalent of Lt. Colonel in the army.

Lee hasn't clarified which kind of Captain he thinks he is, and without his uniform and a cap on, he shouldn't be saluting all the time.

Plus you have to EARN those ranks dammit!

I'll get me coat ;)

When I used to work for a helicopter chartering company, the pilot was called Captain, so if you have a Pilots license, you can legally be called Captain (apparently!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4166
    So far I've not used Andertons, they don't seem to crop up much in internet searches when I'm looking for guitar accessories, amp or pedalboard stuff - mainly seems to be Gear4Music and Richtone, sometimes GAK.
    It can a self-fulfilling prophecy with Google - go to Anderton's website, have a look around, buy a packet of strings. I'd make a small bet that you'd see more of them in your searches immediately afterwards.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    munckee said:
    For me Lee’s great strength was always not being Rob in the same way Mick is very successful at not being Dan on that pedal show. 
    I understand the analogy, but unfortunately Mick is also very successful at being Mick.  I don't watch That Pedal Show.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    randella said:
    So far I've not used Andertons, they don't seem to crop up much in internet searches when I'm looking for guitar accessories, amp or pedalboard stuff - mainly seems to be Gear4Music and Richtone, sometimes GAK.
    It can a self-fulfilling prophecy with Google - go to Anderton's website, have a look around, buy a packet of strings. I'd make a small bet that you'd see more of them in your searches immediately afterwards.
    Switch to Duck Duck Go as your default search engine.  They don't track you everywhere.
  • I've used both online before and had no problems with either so far
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 232
    Both have been really good, the only small niggle I had with GAK was their "Sale" where guitars discounted in the "Sale" were actually ex-display with rusty strings in my case (they actually included a new set in the case but no mention of whether that was OK).  Still, it was a very good discount for 30 mins cleaning the guitar & restring/quick setup
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    edited April 2021
    munckee said:
    One can say it is in a way a perona on his channel, it's only a nickname.  Honestly, I don't really care or see how it matters to anyone.  It's just a name he now adopted on Andertons.  In a sense he is the captain of his own company. Afterall, he does own it.  He is not suggesting he is in the army or on a literal boat.

Plus in the army a Captain is still a junior officer rank, in the Navy it's pretty senior, the equivalent of Lt. Colonel in the army.

Lee hasn't clarified which kind of Captain he thinks he is, and without his uniform and a cap on, he shouldn't be saluting all the time.

I'll get me coat

He could be a merchant navy captain or US police Ed. 

That's a very good point, there is WAY too much going on unexplained here...

of course technically the master of any vessel is called "Captain" as a convention regardless of actual rank, so if Lee was a simple Midshipman but floated Andertons (haha - see what I did there) he would be "Captain".

Of course that's where the other ranks came from between Lieutenant and Post-Captain, "master and commander" for those commanding unrated warships became commander, then later senior Lts. commanding small sloops, bomb ketches etc. got "Lieutenant Commander"....

...well I'll take naval history over bitching about retailers any day of the week :lol:
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    Jetfire said:

I'll get me coat ;)

When I used to work for a helicopter chartering company, the pilot was called Captain, so if you have a Pilots license, you can legally be called Captain (apparently!)
    You can legally call me captain. You wont get put in jail, I promise. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Jetfire said:

I'll get me coat ;)

Captain Polarity Man does sound like a pretty naff superhero tho....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Jetfire said:

I'll get me coat ;)

He used to go so far as when filling in a form, if it didnt have Captain as an option, he would add his own.  He'd make a check box and add Captain as an option and then tick it...
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    edited April 2021
    ennspek said:
    ennspek said:
    I think doubting Lee Anderton's moral compass and calling him greedy is harsh seeing as he just raised over £100,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust.
    Jimmy Saville is estimated to have raised over £40 million for charity. What is your point? Was he a man of sound morals?

More so than ever public donations are more of a PR exercise.
    The man runs a business employing 10's of people, successfully, in the UK and payed his taxes.
    He runs the business in what I assume is a lawful and correct manner and makes money. What a deviant, lock him up.

I just thought the moral compass comment was in bad taste. That was before you demonstrated to me what bad taste really is by using that, patently utterly ridiculous, comparison.
    I will apologise to the OP for derailing the thread in advance. 

I was trying to convey that generous acts for charity aren't always made by good men. History is literally littered with 100s if not 1000s of cases of these actions. You can even look at the people that operate within these charities and see how good their moral compasses are (say hello Oxfam).

You made a point that my opinion was harsh because Lee has raised money for a charity. Hence my follow up with Jimmy Saville. I wasn't implying he was as bad as Jimmy, just giving you an example that charity work/money does not vindicate shitty behaviour. Me, or google can provide you with lots more examples of people with bad morals giving money/performing charitable acts for charity. 

When you look into his fundraising, he is getting common folk to pledge money to a just giving page or via a raffle. The money is not from his own pocket.
    Yes kudos for him for using his public profile for increasing awareness that is a good deed.
    However did you know that charitable donations are tax deductible for a limited company? Realistically the action is of no cost to the business but it does generate more PR (quite arguably a good incentive right?).  Hence my second comment

Not sure what relevance to his tax payments are to the conversation or your retort about locking him up. These are completely irrelevant to my response. You have made an assumption or taken something out of context.

Happy to pick it up on PM if you feel the need to go back and fourth any more and save this thread from going off on a bigger tangent. 
    I agree your general point, that charitable donations and activities are often done for selfish reasons (eg PR) and are not necessarily an indication of generosity.  But I have to take you up on the tax deductibility thing.

Charitable donations are deductible for but the savings are at the rate of corporation tax.  If you make a donation of £10K and you pay tax at 20% you will save £2K tax.  So the donation still costs the company £8K.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I prefer G4M to both of them, though GAK have always been brilliant: Anderton's are... erm, a mixed bag. PMT can feck right off.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited April 2021
    ennspek said:
    I think doubting Lee Anderton's moral compass and calling him greedy is harsh seeing as he just raised over £100,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust.
    Jimmy Saville is estimated to have raised over £40 million for charity. What is your point? Was he a man of sound morals?

More so than ever public donations are more of a PR exercise.
    That's a bit of a ridiculous comparison.

And yes, public donations are often a PR exercise, but that doesn't mean that all of them are PR exercises. Andertons could easily have just bunged £20k (or whatever the second-hand value of those guitars is...doubt it's much more than that) at a charity and called it quits; the raffle approach meant that they could get a lot more to the charity, and that necessitates it being a public affair.

And anyway, the notion that it's impossible for a company to do anything genuinely charitable just because it's publicised is rubbish, really. It's not a zero-sum game; the charity doesn't get any less out of it just because the company gets some kudos at the same time.

Using this as an excuse for bashing Lee Anderton is...just silly.

EDIT: As for the idea that he's getting it deducted on his taxes and just getting the public to put up the money...no. The company is giving away the guitars, and the money is (I believe) going straight to the charity. Even if it was deductible on the taxes, the company would be making a significant loss on it anyway.

It really does amuse me that some people are so desperate to malign Lee Anderton and his company that they'll manage to find something bad in raising £100k for a good cause, all because they don't like the way he makes videos. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 27reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9273
    I’ve bought a few bits from Andertons over the years. They aren’t my favourite, but I’ve only ever had one issue with a pre-order where they took my money and the amp got delayed and delayed until I eventually cancelled.
    GAK I’ve only had one experience of and that was positive. They price matched a vela for me and everything else was fine.
    Neither come close to Coda/Peach personal service of course
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Gassage said:
    I'd rather shit in my own hands and clap than use Anderton's.

I really despise them.
    Now that I'd like to see a video of!!  =)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    seems to me they are cornering a fair chunk of the boutique pedal market in  the UK...and they aint shy in charging top whack
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I bought some pups from Andertons.
    They all died a week later.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited April 2021
    Sassafras said:
    Were they humbarkers?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Used Andertons a few times and they’ve always been great. Like many others here I don’t get the bashing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Sassafras said:
    Were they humbarkers?
    ..or Jackson Russells.
This discussion has been closed.