John Mayer?

What's Hot
KeikoKeiko Frets: 993
I see this guy mentioned all the time on guitar channels on youtube. Sounds like someone I should be into, but am not. The few songs I tried just sounded dull to me. What am I missing? Any song recommendations?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22786
    No, you were right, he's just dull.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11892
    Keiko said:
    I see this guy mentioned all the time on guitar channels on youtube. Sounds like someone I should be into, but am not. The few songs I tried just sounded dull to me. What am I missing? Any song recommendations?
    what artists do you like on the bluesy-rock side of things?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Well crafted songs with stellar bands and good chops both vocally and on guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    Check out Continuum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited April 2021
    I'd go with Continuum, too, and the live 'Where the light is' DVD shows him playing a regular set, then an acoustic set, followed by a bluesier set.
    The live acoustic version of 'Neon' is good for showcasing the man's guitar skills, voice and songwriting 

One of my favourite tracks of his is 'Shadow Days'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I love his stuff but his recent albums have been dross. His best stuff by a mile is his live output - Where The Light Is and Try.

Studio-wise, Continuum is his best IMHO.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7125
    edited April 2021
    Try is fantastic for showcasing his guitar playing imho.

I thought his new album was weak on first listen but my wife plays it all the time and it’s really grown on me. It’s pop basically but with the odd well crafted guitar lick in there too.

this always makes me chuckle too -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahhvmzr_pZo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    You can't go wrong with Continuum imo. The last record of his that hit home with me was Born and Raised. There are some good songs but he's obviously having a NY/Buffalo Springfield phase - depends on whether you like that sort of stuff.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Aside from the trio stuff (on Try and part of Where the Light is) his Americana period had some songwriting gems. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    He is fairly bland blues pop so may not be your thing.

Try by the John Mayer trio is the only thing I ever come back to.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    As everyone else says the studio output is dull, basically watered down for the soccer mom radio market. live though, you get to hear how well he can play and the guy is seriously good.
    His lead chops are well known but listen to some of his playing under the vocal, it's exceptional. 

His chuck and pluck method is great and probably the most effective means of backing yourself with one guitar I have ever heard. Listen to Stop this train or Heart of life and if you ever fancy a serious challenge try playing Neon and singing it at the same time .... it's just incredibly hard to do but he seems to do it effortlessly.  

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    When my band plays live, we usually put a couple of easy songs first.

Have to admire the balls of JM to open up a show with just him on an acoustic playing something as goddamn tricky as Neon - brilliant playing and singing.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    My particular fave is Paradise Valley, totally different vibe.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    edited April 2021
    I've a lot of respect for John Mayer as he's an incredible musician, his guitar playing by itself is very skilled and tasteful but to do it whilst singing at the same time, it's truly impressive.

However, in the same way that I respect amazing sports people in sports I don't watch, or brilliant chefs that do French style food, I'm happier if I don't really have to experience the output. ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    He's a bit of a fanny magnet and his music is too soft for me but he is a very talented guitar player.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    We're more Dua Lipa kinda guys.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I bought Continuum and loved it (great Hendrix cover). Bought two other albums and found them dull, couldn't get into them at all.

An essential purchase though is Where the light is - brilliant double live album (already mentioned). Acoustic set, fabulous blues trio then full band on the hits. One of my all time top live albums.

As for John Mayer, I do find him to be annoyingly arrogant. Some musicians you love, some you have no real opinion on and some you really don't love, and for me he is in the latter camp.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Who?
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    Who?
    No that was Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    I like his earlier stuff much more than the more whimsical Americana he’s been turning out of late. I have Prime music playing in the background a fair bit when I’m working and heard Paradise Valley for the first time the other day. It’s very well done for what it is, but to me it’s better as background music than something I’d deliberately sit down to listen to. Try and Where The Light Is are definitely  his best albums as far as I’m concerned.