RIP HRH Prince Philip

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    Just how unpleasant a person do you have to be to come to a tribute thread to insult someone? Some pretty shameful members here ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Shame, he just missed out on getting a letter from the Queen.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• He was great.
    Nice interview.  Sharp as a tack and clearly in touch with the really important things the role needed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I've been watching Aljazeera News, damn sight more balanced than all this bollocks comparing Phil the Greek to Mother Theresa
  • I'm not unpleasant at all. It's my tribute to reality rather than the full whitewashing of someone's rather dodgy legacy. I know someone who's 13 year old daughter was personally insulted by Phillip when he came to open the youth club they had raised a million quid for. He told her she was fat and needed to lose a few pounds; she was devastated. That's the way he treated people. Now he's some God with magic powers. He will have cost the nation millions of pounds over his lifetime. My aunt died a horrible death with no palliative care last month. She was 99. Bet Phil wasn't wanting for palliative care.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Some people's idea of what hard graft is here is mad. Swanning around chatting and being fed and never having to worry about bills, a mortgage, or bring made redundant.The chatting part can't have been hard for Phillip as he basically just said what he wanted and didn't care about upsetting people. Hard graft-bonkers!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Some people's idea of what hard graft is here is mad. Swanning around chatting and being fed and never having to worry about bills, a mortgage, or bring made redundant.The chatting part can't have been hard for Phillip as he basically just said what he wanted and didn't care about upsetting people. Hard graft-bonkers!
    I would much rather do what I do, than have to do what they do. Their role would be my idea of hell.

In any case, this is really the wrong thread for a discussion on the merits or otherwise of royalty. Would be better off doing that in a dedicated thread in off topic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it the wrong thread to point out you are all paying tribute to a racist and a bully? I felt sorry for the people at my work this week who are of the demographics that Phil liked to insult, because most of the white British people were crowing about how great he was. Are we going to have tributes to Gary Glitter here? 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/04/09/uk/prince-philip-outbursts-legacy-intl-gbr-cmd/index.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    Is it the wrong thread to point out you are all paying tribute to a racist and a bully?.........
    Yes. And why shouldn’t need pointing out to a grown up. Clearly you feel strongly about it, so start a thread in the appropriate place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    He was neither a racist nor a bully and using Gary Glitter as a parallel is just offensive.
    Your link has some tenuous and de-context remarks that are designed to paint a tainted picture by a certain type of activist.
    The Chinese reference is actually a well accepted and known joke amongst the Chinese about the Cantonese (in the same way that English people call people from Wigan 'pie-eaters '
    The "lucky you weren't eaten " Papua New Guinea remark was an innocuous joke in a land that perpetuated cannibalism until well into the 1970s.........it doesn't mean he was a racist.
    A certain element like to alight on these remarks and twist them or spin them until they smell of abject bigotry that sufficiently connotes some kind of malice .
    I wouldn't doubt he was arrogant and impolite.
    I'm not a Royal fan ,I care not for the institution but why must these boring and exaggerated tropes get hauled out together with the crocodile tears of how sorry you felt for the people at your work because some patriotic people dared to express their respect for the consort of their queen (and also the queen of everybody else who has citizenship here ).
     I was in Manilla when Aquino was brutally murdered .He was the Anti-Marcos Hero of the people -people regaled me with tales of how great he was .....I didn't need anybody to feel sorry for me because it really made no difference to me one way or the other.
    I am fully aware of the little known fact that his 3 sisters all married senior Nazis in the 30s and 40s ,rather like the Mitfords but that also doesn't make him a racist any more than it makes his mother (who saved many Jews in Thessaloniki from Nazis ) a Saint.
    He was his own man forever condemned to live in his wife's shadow , upper class and increasingly out of touch in his bubble but he was not a racist nor a bully.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    I liked the old guy.  Never pulled his punches.  Did a lot of useful stuff behind the scenes, never sought the limelight.
    But I guess haters gonna hate . . . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3199
    edited April 2021
    If this is the wrong place to suggest this then I apologise.

Like a number here have stated, I’m a staunch republican but equally have the humanity to empathise when someone loses a family member. Yes, said family member increasingly appeared to be from a bygone age when it came to what are deemed acceptable attitudes, but as a result he must have felt increasingly isolated and should that really detract from the good he did do? The DofE scheme for one does a fantastic work. 

My one and only concern in all of this, is the message it is sending as royal couple after royal couple roll in to see the queen and ‘pay tribute’. Are they meeting outdoors, socially distanced, etc? The number of people who have talked of the heartbreak of not being able to ‘hug mum’ after losing family members during this pandemic, just makes me wonder if the rules for one family have been heavily relaxed -if they have then it feels insensitive and immoral. However, I accept it is conjecture and we probably won’t know for several decades at the very least. 

May the old boy rest in peace, I’m sure the media in their usual inimitable way will do everything they can to rake up every mistake he ever made in the coming years putting his family through hell. Whatever way you view it, that’s a horrendous position to be in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    If this is the wrong place to suggest this then I apologise.

Like a number here have stated, I’m a staunch republican but equally have the humanity to empathise when someone loses a family member. Yes, said family member increasingly appeared to be from a bygone age when it came to what are deemed acceptable attitudes, but as a result he must have felt increasingly isolated and should that really detract from the good he did do? The DofE scheme for one does a fantastic work. 

My one and only concern in all of this, is the message it is sending as royal couple after royal couple roll in to see the queen and ‘pay tribute’. Are they meeting outdoors, socially distanced, etc? The number of people who have talked of the heartbreak of not being able to ‘hug mum’ after losing family members during this pandemic, just makes me wonder if the rules for one family have been heavily relaxed -if they have then it feels insensitive and immoral. However, I accept it is conjecture and we probably won’t know for several decades at the very least. 

May the old boy rest in peace, I’m sure the media in their usual inimitable way will do everything they can to rake up every mistake he ever made in the coming years putting his family through hell. Whatever way you view it, that’s a horrendous position to be in.
    The announcement says that the funeral will be conducted as per current guidelines ( max 30 people? ) and have asked the public to stay away. 
    I’ve no idea how the royal family are bubbled so who can hug whom ( or if one can hug one) although they’ll be vaccinated up to the eyeballs. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11753

My one and only concern in all of this, is the message it is sending as royal couple after royal couple roll in to see the queen and ‘pay tribute’. Are they meeting outdoors, socially distanced, etc?
    I suspect, given the army of circling media vultures, they are being extremely careful to obey the rules.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3199

My one and only concern in all of this, is the message it is sending as royal couple after royal couple roll in to see the queen and ‘pay tribute’. Are they meeting outdoors, socially distanced, etc?
    I suspect, given the army of circling media vultures, they are being extremely careful to obey the rules.

For the sake of the rest of the public I hope you are right. My cynical side suspects that because it is behind palace doors that this won’t be the case, but time will tell. 

As for the circling media, it’s rare that you can almost sense their desire to pounce or turn - really is vile isn’t it? It’s a family who have lost a loved one after all, regardless of ones political ideals.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590

Why do you feel the need to post this stuff in a tribute thread, in the Tribute section?  This belongs elsewhere. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735

Why do you feel the need to post this stuff in a tribute thread, in the Tribute section?  This belongs elsewhere. 
    It has all the markings of a sense of entitlement, leading to a belief that one’s opinion is required. Regardless of whether it’s either appropriate or acceptable. An irony overload of sorts. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    It was a bit annoying that I went to the Windsor Farm shop this morning and it was closed, but otherwise I think he had a fair old go of things and we've all got to pop off some time.