Should we have Dog Licences?

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
I've been out on a few walks recently where I've seen a number of people with their dogs off leads where they clearly have no call-back control of their dog. I guess this has been made much worse by the number of people who bought dogs over lockdown without really having any dog-ownership knowledge or skills. This is no doubt going in end up in other pets getting attacked/hurt, or even occasions of people being hurt like that elderly lady in the news last week who I think was mauled to death.

We also have the dramatic increase in the cost of dogs and the resulting dog theft.

Are these reasons for introducing a pet/dog licence? Make sure that owners pass an appropriate test before they're allowed a dog, and then give some mechanism or powers to remove licences when people are not behaving appropriately. You could link the licence to that person's specific dogs so that it was possible to confirm if they were the dog's true owner.

There are obviously a range of issues with how to organise and police any such system, but is it a step in the right direction? Other than the costs, would legit owners object to having to do this?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    Mirochipping system would resolve so many issues................just like they are going to do with Humans
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    I'm not sure, people have licences to drive cars and either forget how they obtained such a licence, or just drive without one. Certainly those stealing dogs (or cars) aren't going to be too bothered by not having the licence, that's the trouble
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

I remember the dog licence, just about.

I don't know what percentage of dogs are microchipped these days but quite a lot I should think, the number of strays collected that can't be returned home has pretty much disappeared.

I'd probably prioritize having a test to see if you can bring up children before the dog one.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    IIRC the old dog licence scheme was basically just an exercise in paying a fee. If people are prepared to drop multilpe thousands on a hound, bunging an extra £50 at HMRC for the privilege isn't likely to deter them, nor are they likely to read any associated leaflet on their responsibilities as a dog owner if they're already too dumb to learn up on it ahead of time.

So in principle I don't actually have a problem with it; I just don't think it would have the desired effect. You can't make it properly educational like with a driving licence, because there's no way to assess it all until it's too late. Although it would be one stop on the route to parenting licences, which might also have some value ;)
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    One for the oldies....Would the licence be cheaper for a black & white dog?
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I have a vague memory that the dog licence was scrapped when someone worked out it cost more to administrate than it brought in. 
    Google says the licence was stopped in 1987, more recent than I would have guessed. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I like the idea in principle, but it would be better if the funds raised for it could be put towards proper inspectors who could look after the animals welfare on a regular basis.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4150
    Ban dogs , ban em all. Except professional dogs 

they piss up the walls and on restaurant /cafe/shop signs ,shit all over  kill and maim people and livestock . People get very pissy when I say this and say a few spoil it for others ,but I have seen owners from all walks of life letting them piss against cafe signs /walls then the poor schmuck who works there has to bring it in and get dog piss on him . I had an £80 pair of signature bmx trainers ruined by dog shot a few years ago ,they had to be thrown away ,and were bought with xmas/birthday money. People now take them in pubs and restaurants ,cafes etc where people are eating ,it’s getting put of hand, but it’s a big money making industry  ,puppy farms etc  a lot of people have no idea how to look after them and cannot really afford them if they should get ill, but they just think selfishly like a child ,ooh cute dog must have one.

i will be reviled for saying this but It’s undeniable that these things are true 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    edited April 2021
    I have a vague memory that the dog licence was scrapped when someone worked out it cost more to administrate than it brought in. 
    Google says the licence was stopped in 1987, more recent than I would have guessed. 
    It shouldn't be about making money, it's a public service.

I'd say "yes", and it shouldn't just be about paying money. People should have to prove that they know how to look after a dog and be a responsible owner - if that means bringing real trainers and behaviourists in for a session, then so be it. Lump it in with the cost, and do group sessions.

These are the checks that rescues do with potential adopters. Strikes me that extending that to the population in general would be a very, very good thing.

they piss up the walls and on restaurant /cafe/shop signs ,shit all over  kill and maim people and livestock . People get very pissy when I say this and say a few spoil it for others ,but I have seen owners from all walks of life letting them piss against cafe signs /walls then the poor schmuck who works there has to bring it in and get dog piss on him . I had an £80 pair of signature bmx trainers ruined by dog shot a few years ago ,they had to be thrown away ,and were bought with xmas/birthday money. People now take them in pubs and restaurants ,cafes etc where people are eating ,it’s getting put of hand, but it’s a big money making industry  ,puppy farms etc  a lot of people have no idea how to look after them and cannot really afford them if they should get ill, but they just think selfishly like a child ,ooh cute dog must have one.

i will be reviled for saying this but It’s undeniable that these things are true 
    You know what else is undeniably true?

People kill and maim people and livestock in far greater numbers than dogs do, even proportionally.

Everything else in your post is a function of irresponsible ownership, nothing to do with the dogs, and could feasibly be solved with proper implementation of a dog licence.

Assuming you're right, though...what would you do with all the dogs that are alive now when you ban them?

Seems like something of an overreaction because you got shit on your shoes once.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't know about the general public but the neighbours on one side definitely need one as they just do not seem to know how to deal with their cocker spaniel! Last year there was a thread about them not being able to control its behaviour - letting it out into the garden, locking it out and not opening the door for almost 20 minutes. Meaning it would be barking violently for someone to open the door again. I have spoken to them about it but its not really improved by much.
    I've never seen anyone else's dogs behave this way, so they definitely need some form of training.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2360
    I don't have a dog.  I did work in Denmark for a while.  All dogs there have a tattoo in their ears, so they are easy to identify.  I think greyhounds used in racing in the UK have tattood ears also.

Given how much dogs cost and the trade in stolen dogs, is this not the way to go?
  • dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 150

BMX trainers says it all I think.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    Ddigger said:
    I don't have a dog.  I did work in Denmark for a while.  All dogs there have a tattoo in their ears, so they are easy to identify.  I think greyhounds used in racing in the UK have tattood ears also.

Given how much dogs cost and the trade in stolen dogs, is this not the way to go?
    So if you suspect a dog you've seen I'd stolen, what do you do? Go over to the potential criminal and say "can I look inside your dog's ear please?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I think they need to stop selling those stupid 50ft long stretchy lead things.

There was a bloke of about 80 walking a big dog through the park the other day which was going nuts knocking down children, tripping people over and barking at other dogs. He was totally oblivious.

I don't think a dog should count as being on a lead if it's over 6ft long.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 285
    It's a good idea to introduce a licence, but I doubt that the people who most need to improve their behaviour would be changed by the requirement to buy one. 

It seems that the most dangerous type of dogs are often owned by the least suitable people i.e. people who care nothing for social responsibility and care for nobody other than themselves. 

As for BMX signature trainers - I didn't know such a thing existed. 

I don't have a dog or designer trainers, so I have no horse in this race, but I am saddened every time we hear of someone being killed or injured by an out of control dog. 

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Definitely. Well i've got a licence for my pet fish called Eric. He's a Halibut.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    I think they need to stop selling those stupid 50ft long stretchy lead things.

There was a bloke of about 80 walking a big dog through the park the other day which was going nuts knocking down children, tripping people over and barking at other dogs. He was totally oblivious.

I don't think a dog should count as being on a lead if it's over 6ft long.
    We actually use a 40ft lunge line for our Akita, which actually makes it much easier to control her while giving her a lot of freedom when it's warranted. Used properly, they're far superior to extendables in every way...and they force you to pay attention to what your dog's doing, rather than just letting it run amok, because odds are you are the one who's going to get tripped up if you don't.

The error in the chain here is, yet again, the human. It's not difficult to see when it's appropriate or not, except for careless owners who just don't give a fuck. This is another thing that could be solved with a licence that's more than just a "pay for it" job.

I totally agree about extendable leads, though. They're actually unpleasant for the dogs as well, the way they're mostly used, because there's a sharp jerk on the collar/harness when the stop's engaged or they reach the end.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    As a runner I've had numerous occasions where I've been tripped up by dogs randomly scything back and forth by people who think holding the fully extended lead while looking at their phone counts as being in control.
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    If only we could ban dog owners who let their animals shit all over the place. 
    Or even more oddly, bad up the crap then throw it in the grass.
    Or even worse bag it up then tie it to a bush. 
    I went for a walk in the cold snap a few weeks back and the holly bushes were twinkling in the light, looking closer it was from a load dog shit bags reflecting the light like Christmas tree baubles
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    Ddigger said:

Nah, too much scope for mission creep.
    Hairdressers & footballers dogs would be sporting full sleeves in no time.