Rockin' all over the world - and other covers

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
in Music tFB Trader
Decorating last bank holiday weekend - Had the R2 radio on and a show all about cover songs - Knew most they talked about - But never knew Rockin all over the world by Quo was a cover

Knew it was a cover, but forgot all about it - Janis Joplin and 'piece of my heart' - Not really a JJ fan, but that version is excellent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Quo did a few interesting covers in their early days like Shirley Bassey’s I who have Nothing, and the Bee Gee’s Spicks and the specks. A limited band at the time searching for their sound. 
    By the time of Rocking all over the world they had their sound and style, and Fogertys classic fit right in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Sometimes a song is covered so well it becomes forever associated with the performer rather than the originator. 

The best example for me is Al Green's "How can you mend a broken heart". it is simply his song, and once heard you can't bear the Bee Gees own version of it.  

• Otis Redding’s Hard to Handle is great, but the The Black Crowes version is bloody great too.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    edited April 2021
    I assumed for a long time that The Sky is Crying was an SRV original - simply because he absolutely owned it on the album. Turns out it was originally by Elmore James.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    The Quo arrangement of RAOTW owes much to Fogerty's original.

Shakin' Stevens' version of This Ole House was hugely indebted to NRBQ. Perhaps, he should have cloned the Rosemary Clooney version? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    HAL9000 said:
    I assumed for a long time that The Sky is Crying was an SRV original - simply because he absolutely owned it on the album. Turns out it was originally by Elmore James.
    The SRV version was based on the Albert King version although I’d presume Stevie was aware of the James one. That single line the sky is crying look at the tears roll down the street is so evocative. 
    Puts me in mind of I Feel So Bad which I know by a dozen blues artists ( including Elvis Presley) with it’s line feel so bad, feel like a ballgame on a rainy day  but I didn’t know the original at all..

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    HAL9000 said:

You could say this about so many SRV numbers though, Texas Flood being another that has his unique stamp on it.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    Lots of Dylan songs have been covered successfully and are perhaps better known than the original recordings. Tambourine man, Mighty Quinn, All along the watchtower, To make you feel my love, Wheel's on fire, for example.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4997
    Otis Redding’s Hard to Handle is great, but the The Black Crowes version is bloody great too.
    The crowes version never had as much swing, always felt a bit lumpen in comparison 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136
    Hanging on the Telephone, originally by The Nerves.

Tainted Love, originally performed by Gloria Jones in 1964, then re-recorded by her in 1976 after the original became a Northern Soul hit.

Both well and truly overshadowed by the versions you know.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.