Sleep apnoea

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I only burn about 7000 cals a week on the bike, and if not doing that I'm yomping around the Peak District on foot, I can't do any more. 

You sound like me, I have mad levels of exercise compared to everyone I know (especially at my age of 57), and yet I struggle to lose weight. Basically I eat way too much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    So,
    my Mrs definitely stops breathing occasionally, but doesn't snore very often
    does that mean she definitely needs a CPAP mask, or do some people just occasionally do it?
    I think you should go see your GP about it to be honest. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    So,
    my Mrs definitely stops breathing occasionally, but doesn't snore very often
    does that mean she definitely needs a CPAP mask, or do some people just occasionally do it?
    I think you should go see your GP about it to be honest. 
    I know, I've been pestering her for a while, just sounded like there was a few people with experiences 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    axisus said:
    I only burn about 7000 cals a week on the bike, and if not doing that I'm yomping around the Peak District on foot, I can't do any more. 

You sound like me, I have mad levels of exercise compared to everyone I know (especially at my age of 57), and yet I struggle to lose weight. Basically I eat way too much.
    When rather than how much you eat is quite important. I put on a stone last year but got it back off within 2 months simply but eating more in the day and only a tiny meal in the evening. I don't eat any less and drink just as much in the evening ... but the majority of the food is consumed at lunch time. The trick is to eat like a pig at lunchtime so you're not really hungry in the evening. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I have sleep apnoea and and it's hell. I stopped using the cpap because it was drying my skin out terribly and I couldn't find a workable solution. It's worth asking to be checked for periodic limb movement disorder which I was also diagnosed with as a severe sufferer. 

Out of interest, do any of you find that your dreams are richer/more intense/more addictive?
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    edited April 2021
    M1ck said:

Though I haven’t had it for a while it could be very scary, being aware, during sleep, I wasn’t breathing and could do nothing about it -
    That way you describe it makes it sound like sleep paralysis!
    Up till now I hadn’t heard of ‘sleep paralysis’ but with the wonder of the internet I looked it up and you could be right - while sleep apnea fits here and there much more of what I had fits with sleep paralysis - I did see my gp at the time but he pretty much dismissed it, I have a different gp now! 
    From the NHS website
    ‘It can be scary but it's harmless and most people will only get it once or twice in their life.’
    ‘Scary’ is a bit of an understatement, I could get it two or three times a night!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    M1ck said:
    M1ck said:

Though I haven’t had it for a while it could be very scary, being aware, during sleep, I wasn’t breathing and could do nothing about it -
    Up till now I hadn’t heard of ‘sleep paralysis’ but with the wonder of the internet I looked it up and you could be right - while sleep apnea fits here and there much more of what I had fits with sleep paralysis - I did see my gp at the time but he pretty much dismissed it, I have a different gp now! 
    From the NHS website
    ‘It can be scary but it's harmless and most people will only get it once or twice in their life.’
    ‘Scary’ is a bit of an understatement, I could get it two or three times a night!
    Speak to them about it! It sounds horrible. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    One thing about CPAP machines is that they are quiet in operation.  Not silent but quiet, though they are loud enough to be a nuisance.  In Ireland, the hire of a CPAP machine works out around €100 per month.  For that you get a machine that works, replacement headgear and hose, also filters every six months.

The air pressure setting is determined by the results of a sleep study in a hospital.  Fortunately the costs of this sleep study and the consultant costs are borne by Medical Insurance as repeat sleep studies are needed every year or so.  And if the study shows that a significant change in the air pressure is needed, a further sleep study is required to check the results of that change.

The crucial thing though is that having sleep apnoea has a direct effect on your driving licence and insurance.  If you don't advise the insurance company of this fact, you are in effect not insured as you are not giving the insurance company all the facts.  The consultant can issue a letter to the insurance company advising them that you have sleep apnoea but that it is under control and is being monitored by him/her.

Another downside is having to transport the CPAP machine when you go on holiday or indeed anywhere overnight.  It is acceptable as hand luggage in an aeroplane but the airline must be advised about this in advance.

As far as I can tell, there is no cure for sleep apnoea,  the CPAP keeps it under control and that is the best that can be hoped for.  Ones weight may be a factor but it is weakness in the neck area that causes the problem by closing off the airways.  Not a situation to be taken lightly.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    @Rocker it sounds like the repeat sleep studies every year are done mostly so they can bill your health insurance for it, I don't think they're repeated nearly as often on the NHS.

The reason OSA is treated is because if you don't get treated you can go on to develop pulmonary hypertension which has a very poor prognosis
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    M1ck said:
    M1ck said:

From the NHS website
    Speak to them about it! It sounds horrible. 
    Fortunately I rarely get it these days, either I’ve learned to manage it or got rid of the root cause! In reality probably a bit of both!
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    gusman2x said:
    Do you have to be clean shaven to wear the full mask?
    No
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    edited April 2021
    Just took delivery of the CPAP machine, just gave it a whirl and it's a bit weird at first, for those that don't know it sort of wooshes air into your airways when you breathe in which feels a bit overwhelming at first but it quickly calms down, the settings are all pre-done by the clinic so can't be fiddled with, it's essential that the mask is snug on your face or the machine keeps blowing air on breathing out as well. Noise levels are pretty quiet when the mask is fit snugly. The full nose/mouth mask is comfortable but then I've not tried to sleep with it on yet.

Just lying down relaxing with it on for ten mins has made me feel oxygenated or I could be imagining it!

I'll give a better report including full snore report from Mrs B in the morning. If it dramatically reduces or stops the snoring then it's a life changer! 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Right, first night done, took ages (over an hour) to get to sleep as it just felt so odd but apparently that's normal at first. I was probably a little anxious about it not working too. But - No snoring! From sounding like a broken jet engine to nowt so that's good. Analysis showed 15 incidences per hour of stopping breathing which is moderate sleep apnoea. The important thing is I didn't wake up because the machine kicked off the breathing again for me. So, I'd say it was a success. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Right, first night done, took ages (over an hour) to get to sleep as it just felt so odd but apparently that's normal at first. I was probably a little anxious about it not working too. But - No snoring! From sounding like a broken jet engine to nowt so that's good. Analysis showed 15 incidences per hour of stopping breathing which is moderate sleep apnoea. The important thing is I didn't wake up because the machine kicked off the breathing again for me. So, I'd say it was a success. 
    Congrats. Do you feel better?
    Right, first night done, took ages (over an hour) to get to sleep as it just felt so odd but apparently that's normal at first. I was probably a little anxious about it not working too. But - No snoring! From sounding like a broken jet engine to nowt so that's good. Analysis showed 15 incidences per hour of stopping breathing which is moderate sleep apnoea. The important thing is I didn't wake up because the machine kicked off the breathing again for me. So, I'd say it was a success. 
    I wouldn't say I feel Better yet but I think once I've got into it a bit then I'll sleep for longer, only got 7hrs last night, but that's because I went to bed late and then couldn't sleep, I will say that I felt oxygenated which is probably something you don't feel unless you have a machine that pump air into you all night!

Because of all the air going in, a lot had to come out which made for some rip roaring farts this morning. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • @jonnyburgo Stick with it :)
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I wouldn't say I feel Better yet but I think once I've got into it a bit then I'll sleep for longer, only got 7hrs last night, but that's because I went to bed late and then couldn't sleep, I will say that I felt oxygenated which is probably something you don't feel unless you have a machine that pump air into you all night!

Because of all the air going in, a lot had to come out which made for some rip roaring farts this morning. 

Is that not what you're supposed to get?

Good it seems to be working for you though. 
    A little update, the machine is working very well, averaging about 8 hrs a night, snoring is eliminated. Should have got one years ago. A few teething problems with the settings but thats why a lot of people give up on it apparently, i do get a dry mouth but its a small price to pay.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"