Android phones: If OnePlus is the alternative, what is the alternative to OnePlus?

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5442
Dropped my 6T tonight and the volume up/down buttons are playing up. I'm a OnePlus fan but the new 9T Plus is £829...

I like top end phones with top end cameras. Any other options?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17555
    tFB Trader
    I've got an 8 pro which is great

You can get the top spec 12 GB model for £649 which is a good deal
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5442
    Just tried rebooting and power button isn't working either.
    Piss.
    I've got an 8 pro which is great

You can get the top spec 12 GB model for £649 which is a good deal
    what size internal memory?
    edited April 2021 tFB Trader

The lower spec one is £100 less

• roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    Moto G
    They're just releasing a new series, G10, G30, G50 and G100 I think. Great value, starting at £159 I believe

The lower spec one is £100 less

My 6T is 256 and currently 44% full.
    8 Pro is in with a shout! How do you find the camera?
    tFB Trader
    It's fairly decent but not as good as my wife's Pixel which is the current benchmark.

The Macro cam is quite fun.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26553
    To be honest...I've got a Pixel 3a, and it's ace. The wife's got one on my account too, and the pair are costing me £38/month all in.

Admittedly, the camera's a bit limited relative to all the multi-lens options available these days, but I'll use a real camera if I need anything to look amazing anyway, and there isn't a phone camera out there that can compete with a budget mirrorless camera even with a kit lens; none of the AI processing tech available right now can overcome the basic physics of a real lens with a large sensor.
    <space for hire>
    Yeah tbh I've love my 6T and despite it being 'obsolete' in ridiculous terms it's a beast and the best phone I've ever had, hands down. Gutted that it got dropped.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 979
    I dropped my OnePlus 3 last Autumn in a car park & even in a case it was ruined.
    Didnt want to spend so much on a phone again (it was £330 new) so I went with a Nokia 5.3 for £150. 
    There’s is a big gulf between the 2 phones in terms of daily use & taking photos. I was actually surprised how a 4.5 year old phone bettered the newer Nokia model (much better camera & faster/snappier to react when swiping across the screen) The Nokia’s excellent battery life is its biggest advantage.

My advice would be to get another OnePlus or equivalent spec alternative. I couldn’t justify it as the latest OnePlus model was £799 (Quite a leap from the £330 I paid for the OnePlus 3) & I was still on furlough, so didn’t know how my work situation would end up like. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 979
    edited April 2021
    A couple useful links I found helpful to help you on your search: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVLN0tY51ewH44wUtx3YZTA

Useful side by side specs comparison table, for when you have narrowed it down to 3-4 different models: https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/compare-best-phones
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    Heat the back of the phone up with a hair dryer and once the adhesive has softened remove the back cover with a thin guitar pick. Unscrew the little metal plate that's over the battery connector so you can disconnect the battery and proper reboot the phone.
    Make sure the board is sitting against the PWR and VOL buttons correctly so none of them are pressing constantly on the micro switchs on the board. You might find that's all the issue is, the board isn't sitting against the frame correctly because it's been dropped

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1015
    How can anyone justify spending £800 on a phone, utter madness ! 
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Heat the back of the phone up with a hair dryer and once the adhesive has softened remove the back cover with a thin guitar pick. Unscrew the little metal plate that's over the battery connector so you can disconnect the battery and proper reboot the phone.
    Make sure the board is sitting against the PWR and VOL buttons correctly so none of them are pressing constantly on the micro switchs on the board. You might find that's all the issue is, the board isn't sitting against the frame correctly because it's been dropped

That's exactly what I think has happened; the volume UP/DOWN was constantly firing last night and the power button isn't working today to boot it up so maybe the board has ever so slightly moved.
    I was wondering how to open it up and hadn't considered that it might be glued! I'll maybe give that a go today. If I disconnect the battery then how will I reboot the phone?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    edited April 2021
    Well disconnecting the battery will reset the SMC but yeah you need to reconnect it to boot the phone back up. The reason for this is the buttons aren't hardwired to anything, they perform functions according to code in the SMC. So back off, disconnect battery, make sure board is sat in frame correctly, connect battery back up and then see what you have. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4131
    I got a Realme X50 Pro 5G. Same parent company as OnePlus. Phones are pretty much the same. But cheaper.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11740
    How can anyone justify spending £800 on a phone, utter madness ! 

You've not seen the hi-fi thread then? ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How can anyone justify spending £800 on a phone, utter madness ! 
    It's not just a phone you're buying tho. Camera, games console, TV, music player, office tasks, clock alarm, Web browser etc.. etc.. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4131
    And for many it's their most used piece of tech. Might as well go for the best you can afford with that much use. 

And think of what kind of forum we're on anyway, the amounts we'll pay for a bit of wood with some wires on. 

Danny1969 said:
    Well disconnecting the battery will reset the SMC but yeah you need to reconnect it to boot the phone back up. The reason for this is the buttons aren't hardwired to anything, they perform functions according to code in the SMC. So back off, disconnect battery, make sure board is sat in frame correctly, connect battery back up and then see what you have. 
    You've lost me now! What's the SMC and will my phone wipe if I disconnect the battery?
    I've tried a hairdryer on the back of it for ages but I can't get the back to budge.