SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold Pending 1965 SG Special - players grade - price drop

What's Hot
designerseye88designerseye88 Frets: 987
edited April 2021 in Guitars £
Hi Guys,

An impending move means I have to put this screamer up for sale. Bought last year from a well known dealer in the US this is an 1965 SG special which has been modded over the years. This is a players grade example and sounds great. 
What makes this one a players grade is obviously at some point someone has routed it for humbuckers, Pretty much as per Robben Fords SG Special. The routs are very clean and certainly look professionally done and will try to add pics very soon. 

Its had a number of changed parts over the years. Finish is original alongside the pick guard and a few other parts but the electronics, tuners and bridge are replacements. Frets look original to me and the board I assume is Indian rosewood given the 65 manufacture date and the description when i bought it (Their were no issues shipping this from the US). The pickups are Alegree old timer pickups (different from whats shown in the pics but the covers are aged nickel). These sound really nice in it and its got a really nice top end. 

The guitar shows no breaks or cracks and this was confirmed by the dealer when i bought it, the finish has a lovely patina and the neck has some really nice mild flame in the mahogany. 
Main thing to bear in mind here is it has the smaller nut width but the neck feels nice and full. Im used to the bigger nut width and for me this one was absolutely fine to play, I personally love SG body shapes for the better fret access. 

Player grade stuff is always difficult to price but I'm pricing it similar to a custom shop guitar so looking for £2600   now £2500

Based in Bristol, id ideally not want to post it but it does come with a fitted hard case. 

I'm not sure of the weight right now but i can weigh it when I'm home - It's very light!, Any questions feel free to ask. I'll post here first but this will be going up on the various sales sites soon so let me know if you're interested as I'd always rather my gear stays on the forum. 

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    big wow, what a cool guit!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30873
    Stunning...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7102
    always nice to see one that avoided the Townshend treatment

GLWTS
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 181
    edited April 2021
    How is the neck profile, slim tapered like most of the SG's or chunkier? 
    Update:
    Apologies, I read your description about the neck just after my comment. I think it is rounder and thicker.
  • Gassage said:
    Stunning...
    Thanks mate, yeah it’s the player grade stuff that always draws me in! Bet this one had some stories to tell 
  • Friday night bump 
  • Price drop bump
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    How so many of these have the trem taken off....no good ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240 said:
    How so many of these have the trem taken off....no good ?
    Not sure tbh, I’ve never tried one with the term. I think a wrap tail is always super popular so maybe there was just no need for the trem
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22708
    That looks great, what a cool guitar.  I like P-90s but I think the combination of the humbuckers with the bound, dot-neck board and the wraparound bridge is brilliant.
  • Philly_Q said:
    That looks great, what a cool guitar.  I like P-90s but I think the combination of the humbuckers with the bound, dot-neck board and the wraparound bridge is brilliant.
    Thanks @Philly_Q yeah its got so much 'mojo'. I like the wrap tail and the hum bucker combo too, For all those who have asked I've just ordered a set of calipers so will add neck measurements asap. 
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    Philly_Q said:
    Thanks @Philly_Q yeah its got so much 'mojo'. I like the wrap tail and the hum bucker combo too, For all those who have asked I've just ordered a set of calipers so will add neck measurements asap. 
    I can’t believe this is still here, I need more money!! This guitar is sooo cool. Funny how people will play narrow nut strats no problem but when it’s a Gibson it has to be wide to be considered good! I have a ‘65 SG and it feels so comfortable to play. I would say GLWTS but secretly I’m hoping it sticks around long enough for me to save up for it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @jimmyguitar yeh it’s a great guitar, it’s got a really nice action, I’ve been playing it this evening and it sounds really nice. I’ve just taken some neck measurements;

1st fret - 19.3mm
    12th fret - 24.5mm
  • Pm
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1372
    I can’t believe this is still here, I need more money!! This guitar is sooo cool. Funny how people will play narrow nut strats no problem but when it’s a Gibson it has to be wide to be considered good! I have a ‘65 SG and it feels so comfortable to play. I would say GLWTS but secretly I’m hoping it sticks around long enough for me to save up for it! 
    if it were up to me no guitar would have a nut wider than 42mm!
  • Thanks for all the messages but it's currently sold pending the usual 
  • Whoever bought this guitar. If he wants to sell it to me for more £. We can talk about it. Thanks 
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    Whoever bought this guitar. If he wants to sell it to me for more £. We can talk about it. Thanks 
    It’s sold pending so it would be polite to at least let the deal go ahead before trying to jeopardise it surely? 
  • Jimihendrix1987Jimihendrix1987 Frets: 224
    edited April 2021
    @jimmyguitar ;;;; you don’t know the ins and outs and I am not going to get into details. I enquired about it, about possible trades or if the seller sold it without the pickups.  The seller comes with a lower price of what it is advertised in here. I ask for pictures of the routing cavity and tell the seller that if there is nothing wrong, I am buying it. No response. And all of a sudden they tell me it is sold. Not trying to jeopardise anything. Just letting the buyer to know my interest and my offer.