BFD3 Drama

What's Hot
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem I have! Got a new laptop from Scan the other day and I am in the process of installing all of my software. The machine is ASIO optimised, has an i7, 32gig of RAM and both an NVMe and SSD, so it shouldn't be a system issue.

I have installed BFD3 after a huge headache - none of the links on the product pages work, I had to take the installer from my old machine via Google Drive, hope I have the installers for my expansions - got it to the latest version through the licence manager, but something is up with it.

The cymbals cut short and certain snare hits will play the wrong hit type e.g. a drag instead of a rimshot or just drop completely. I have tried everything on the engine preference window, but nothing has resolved it. It works just fine on my old machine, I have uninstalled and reinstalled without updating to the latest version and still get the same audio issues. 

There used to be a forum but all of the Google entries for forum posts go to Roli which seems had no useful info. 

Any ideas?? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Heya,

We're currently in the process of moving everything over to the new inMusic platforms. But that said, the download links should be working - they're working here! Are you using Google Chrome?? I know the fxpansion website is having some problems with Chrome right now.

Cymbals cutting short could be a machine configuration; happy to diagnose, but would need more information about your machine, particularly the hard-drives. If they're older mechanical HDD's then you would definitely benefit from an upgrade to an SSD.

Hits not playing correctly could be a keymap issue, but difficult to know without having something specific to look into.

Bye!

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Yes using Chrome, I'll give it a go with whatever Microsoft's browser is called this week.

The laptop is a brand new i7 10750H, 32gig of RAM (DDR4 2666mhz) has a 1TB Samsung NVMe drive and a 500 gig Samsung Evo 870 SATA SSD. It has come from Scan and they set them up for audio before shipping, so I am surprised to see any problem.

Installed the core library from the USB, I have tried moving it from the main drive to the secondary, still getting the same issue. The keymap loaded is BFD 3.0.

Let me know if you need any more info and thanks for looking at my post! 
  • What soundcard are you using, is this happening in standalone mode or inside a host??

Ping me tomorrow and I can help you diagnose the issue.

Bye!

Using an Audient ID22, also tried it through my HX Stomp. Happens in both standalone and within a host. I'll DM tomorrow, thanks for the help! 
    Here is a video is the snare dropping out:
  • @IMC1980 ;

In the preferences you'll find a sub-page called Engine. That's where all of the engine parameters are defined - try tweaking the RAM and STREAM buffers to find the right balance. It sounds like those need changing to me.

Bye!

@WiresDreamDisasters - I have tried every combination of RAM and STREAM buffers; it results in the same issue. I have tried the different kit details and that doe not help either, if anything the economy level detail was dropping out more.

I also uninstalled BFD3 and the content library, re-installed the latest version of BFD3 and downloaded the content library from the website rather than installing from the USB stick like last time, still have the same hits dropping/cutting out at the same time.

I have tried every sample rate and buffer size on my interface, still have the problem. Really not sure what to do next....

• Downloading and re-installing stuff won't do very much; it's all the same audio content.

If you look in task manager and look at all of the charts for your devices, do you see any spiking or unusual activity that occurs at the same time as the dropouts?

Does it happen inside a DAW?

It definitely sounds like the hard-drive not being able to deliver the data in time to me, but a Samsung 870 should be plenty for BFD3; I have Samsung drives in my machine.

It could also be related to the audient drivers not playing nicely with our standalone. @Cirrus I know you use this combination, have you ever seen anything like the OP's ????

Bye!

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    No, never - listening to that vid it sounds like sometimes the snare drops out altogether, and sometimes it's a lower velocity.

I do sometimes have cut off tails - more obvious on cymbals, if the HDD is running hard eg while stuff's loading in when first opening a project. Always put that down to available hdd bandwidth.
    Downloading and re-installing stuff won't do very much; it's all the same audio content.

If you look in task manager and look at all of the charts for your devices, do you see any spiking or unusual activity that occurs at the same time as the dropouts?

Does it happen inside a DAW?

It definitely sounds like the hard-drive not being able to deliver the data in time to me, but a Samsung 870 should be plenty for BFD3; I have Samsung drives in my machine.

It could also be related to the audient drivers not playing nicely with our standalone. @Cirrus I know you use this combination, have you ever seen anything like the OP's ????
    It happens at exactly the same point in a DAW. 

Added a video of the Task Manager, disk use is 0%:

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2192
    edited April 2021
    Do you have any other VSTi's that use sample libraries? Do those work OK? Just trying to narrow down whether it's BFD3 specific.

Btw. I recently contacted BFD3 with a minor issue and got very good support. But obviously you've got a BFD3 contact on this thread.

It's not a competition.
    Do you have any other VSTi's that use sample libraries? Do those work OK? Just trying to narrow down whether it's BFD3 specific.

Btw. I recently contacted BFD3 with a minor issue and got very good support. But obviously you've got a BFD3 contact on this thread.

I have Addictive Drums 2, a demo of EZ Drummer 2, Cakewalk Studio Instruments Drum kit and they all work fine. BFD3 sounds the best though!
  • That's very weird. Out of interest, if you change the snare out, does it happen with other snares?? I notice you're using the same preset in both videos, just with different grooves... does it happen with other presets too??

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's very weird. Out of interest, if you change the snare out, does it happen with other snares?? I notice you're using the same preset in both videos, just with different grooves... does it happen with other presets too??
    No it doesn't! I swapped out the snare and a fair few of them played fine. The Blues Snare 1 did the same thing, but most were OK. The snare from that preset - Tama brass bell snare - There are two entries in my snare list, the second one down works fine... Hopefully this sheds some light on what the issue might be if it is only affecting certain snares?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    What velocity are you at, does it vary or is every snare hit say, 123? Could it be that one of the round-robin samples is corrupt?
  • I'm not gonna lie, that certainly could be a possibility!! Unlikely, but possible.

@IMC1980 what articulation on the snare are you triggering? I'll have a listen through them tomorrow and see if any of them are fucked.

Bye!

I'm not gonna lie, that certainly could be a possibility!! Unlikely, but possible.

@IMC1980 what articulation on the snare are you triggering? I'll have a listen through them tomorrow and see if any of them are fucked.
    I will check in the morning, it is the first loop in the Rock 1 Grooves from the BFD3 library.
    edited April 2021
    IMC1980 said:
    No it doesn't! I swapped out the snare and a fair few of them played fine. The Blues Snare 1 did the same thing, but most were OK. The snare from that preset - Tama brass bell snare - There are two entries in my snare list, the second one down works fine... Hopefully this sheds some light on what the issue might be if it is only affecting certain snares?

Under the drums browser, in the Snare options, I've only got one 'Tama Bell Brass Snare' listed, when I set the Processed selector to 'Off'.

When the Processed selector is 'On', I see options for 'Blues Snare 1 JM' and 'Blues Snare 2 JM', but the latter is 'Tama Tempesta Snare SnOff'.

I've no idea if this is relevant, unless there's might be an issue with duplicate paths perhaps.

It's not a competition.
    IMC1980 said:

Under the drums browser, in the Snare options, I've only got one 'Tama Bell Brass Snare' listed, when I set the Processed selector to 'Off'.

When the Processed selector is 'On', I see options for 'Blues Snare 1 JM' and 'Blues Snare 2 JM', but the latter is 'Tama Tempesta Snare SnOff'.

I've no idea if this is relevant, unless there's might be an issue with duplicate paths perhaps.

I was selecting the snare from the mixer window in the standalone app:

I'm not gonna lie, that certainly could be a possibility!! Unlikely, but possible.

It is the rimshot being triggered in that loop .
    edited April 2021
    Below is a pic of what I see. You appear to have some duplicates in your list, whereas I only have single listings.

https://i.imgur.com/SXLUQ6C.png

It's not a competition.