New binding jig day.

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16665
edited April 2021 in Making & Modding
I ordered a binding cutter jig from Radius Dish UK last week, along with a cheap katsu router to permenantly live in it.

These are the parts ready for assembly.

So far it looks pretty good.   It was quite a bit cheaper than the other versions out there, so I'm keen to see how it works once it's all together.

https://www.radiusdishuk.com/blank-page/Binding-Cutter-Jig-p304705510

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    Nothing wrong with those Katsu routers :+1: 

Interested to see how the jig works ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2347
    tFB Trader
    It will be interesting to see if this jig can cut the binding channel on drop tops. I’ve never managed to get the StewMac jig to do drop tops properly.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Wow!  That IS a lot cheaper than the other ones on the market.  I think thats the birthday present sorted ;)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    GSPBASSES said:
    It will be interesting to see if this jig can cut the binding channel on drop tops. I’ve never managed to get the StewMac jig to do drop tops properly.
    It probably won't do anything the stew-mac one can't as it's pretty similar under the router cradle.

I'm hoping it does as much as the stew-mac one for half the cost.

TTony said:
    Nothing wrong with those Katsu routers :+1: 

Interested to see how the jig works ....
    Its my first venture into the knock off router world, so very interested to see how it works out.  I might pick a couple more up if I like it... always handy having dedicated routers for certain tasks.

Wow!  That IS a lot cheaper than the other ones on the market.  I think thats the birthday present sorted ;)
    I'm just hoping it still works well.   It's cheaper materials than the stew mac one, but still seems very solidly built 
  • WezV said:
    Its my first venture into the knock off router world, so very interested to see how it works out.  I might pick a couple more up if I like it... always handy having dedicated routers for certain tasks.

Couldn’t agree more. Currently on four! One for truss rods, one in a simple table, one really cheap one (Lidl) that is the utility router (template trimming, bindings, cavities etc) and works brilliantly even if it is starting to sound a bit dodgy. The only one that doesn’t get used is a mighty Triton buster that is just too much for everything and doesn’t work that well (for me). I might have to consider a Katsu or two. 
    mounted the router base.  Everythign moves freely.   I will probably grease the rails to ensure it all moves as smoothly as possible

just looking at the base board too, think i need to modify it to work with small bodies and cutaways, but that's why this comes undrilled for the body supports

it gets to the waist of a LP shape just fine

but its not making it to the cutaway

the side supports get mounted with some bolts and threaded inserts.  It comes undrileld so you can decide on teh best location.  I think i am going to do 2 sets of holes and add additional inserts.   The way its marked below will give me from 12-18" on the lower bout

WezV said:

Couldn’t agree more. Currently on four! One for truss rods, one in a simple table, one really cheap one (Lidl) that is the utility router (template trimming, bindings, cavities etc) and works brilliantly even if it is starting to sound a bit dodgy. The only one that doesn’t get used is a mighty Triton buster that is just too much for everything and doesn’t work that well (for me). I might have to consider a Katsu or two. 
    the triton would probably be good for a thickening jig ;)

• WezV said:
    WezV said:

the triton would probably be good for a thickening jig ;)

Good idea ... 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2347
    tFB Trader
    I had the same problem on the stew Mac jig in that it wouldn’t go into the tight corners on a LP. I overcome this by not using the base plate supplied with the jig. I made a new base plate the same shape as the guitar I was going to cut the channel in, about 40mm thick and about 25mm smaller. I stopped using the plastic supports that lifted the guitar off the base plate and stuck my new Jig to the body with double sided tape, I could then cut the channel in to very tight corners.
    I wouldn’t recommend grease on the runners, it tends to pick up sawdust and get very sticky. Axminster do some very good dry sprays that work well on that type of rail.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Yeah, ive made do without on previous LP builds, but the next is another archtop carved top and back.  I skipped binding on the last like this, but don't want to this time 
    also picked up a body mold from Radius Dish 

this one is for a Taylor GS mini, which i think will work nicely as a  shape for more mini archtops and thinlines.

I've used the binding jig now, and it worked very well

firstly, it used it with a flush cutter to trim top and back

then i used it with the stew-mac binding router set to cut the binding channels

only issue i had was the waist area on the top.   this guitar has a full depth archtop carve on a smaller body, so its quite steep in places.  This stopped the router reaching full depth for an inch or two of the waist.     No issue though, I tidied it up with a carving knife.  this wouldn't be an issue on 99% of bound instruments