Covid vaccinations for children

What's Hot
chris78chris78 Frets: 4718
What are people’s view on this? We know some clinical trials are going on, but has the fact that some vaccinations aren’t being given to under 30s due to the risk changed views?
I was discussing this with my mum this morning as I don’t believe it makes sense to vaccinate kids when they have such little risk from the actual illness. Clearly for stuff like MMR the risk balance changes and I believe kids should be jabbed
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monkey42monkey42 Frets: 288
    Currently, i would say No, not needed. My guess is that they are testing in case the virus mutates enough to pose a bigger risk to children going forward. If that were to become the case then i may change my opinion.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 9624
    surely easy to calculate the benefit to risk ratio with current info

my guess is no need under 20, with current variants

Some are getting bad long-covid in late 20s, so not sure what threshold should be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 7796
    My wife and I have had the vaccine.  At this point in time, we are not planning to get our daughters vaccinated - especially as we are pretty certain they have had it already.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 502
    I don't think it's a good idea ...they should just be vacinating the vulnerable ..vacinating children is not going to do anything ...just wondering how long before they will be wanting to inject when born ...terrifying thought..!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 13587
    It would have to be on the basis of preventing spread rather than any risk reduction for the children and that being the case I imagine a lot of parents won't go for it.
  • 77ric77ric Frets: 467
    But children are a know vector of transmission, and as I understand it the trials are not just about whether it’s safe to vaccinate children but also if vaccinating children breaks that vector of transmission as well. If it’s safe and breaks that link then yes they should be vaccinated. If in the other hand it’s safe but doesn’t break that link then it’s mostly likely a pointless endeavour to vaccinate children. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 22864
    Have infection rates gone up significantly since the schools went back? 

I think the schools as cesspits of coronavirus idea has been overplayed over the last year just a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1054
    Should you vaccinate children when for them, the risk of them having the vaccination is higher than the risk of having the virus. But, it means that they are less like to pass it on the fat or the elderly,where the risks are the other way round.

But then the vaccination doesn't stop you catching it, or passing it on, but is likely to prevent you having any noticeable symptoms (or something like that).

What a dilemma!
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 4718
    77ric said:
    But children are a know vector of transmission, and as I understand it the trials are not just about whether it’s safe to vaccinate children but also if vaccinating children breaks that vector of transmission as well. If it’s safe and breaks that link then yes they should be vaccinated. If in the other hand it’s safe but doesn’t break that link then it’s mostly likely a pointless endeavour to vaccinate children. 
    Is it right to inject them in order to help older people when the jab carries a greater risk to them than the illness?
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 799
    edited April 18
    Perhaps we should leave it up to grandparents to decide whether they want their grandchildren to take that risk on their behalf. 
    edited April 18
    chris78 said:
    77ric said:
    Is it right to inject them in order to help older people when the jab carries a greater risk to them than the illness?
    As I quite clearly said if it is SAFE to vaccinate them, AND it breaks the chain of transmission then yes it’s good to do so. I never said that we should vaccinate them regardless. 

Where is your evidence that the vaccine is more dangerous to children than the virus itself. Or are you just being an anti vaxer. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 3719
    It's an academic question.  None of the vaccines are licenced for use in under 18s, as the initial clinical trials to demonstrate their safety and efficacy were conducted on over-18s only.

Clinical trials are currently underway to test the Pfizer, Moderna and AZ vaccines in children.  Until these are completed, no-one actually knows whether they're effective or if there's any safety concerns for children.

Aside from that, it's important to remember that some children may have conditions rendering them clinically extremely vulnerable to COVID.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    77ric said:

As I quite clearly said if it is SAFE to vaccinate them, AND it breaks the chain of transmission then yes it’s good to do so. I never said that we should vaccinate them regardless. 

Where is your evidence that the vaccine is more dangerous to children than the virus itself. Or are you just being an anti vaxer. 
    Yeah, I'm such an anti-vaxer that I've had both doses of the jab myself, my wife has had her first and my children have received all of their vaccinations for all of the illness that kids get protected from. I'm also up to date with tetnus and I've had yellow fever when I've been abroad.
    Now we've got the stupid insults out of the way as it appears that nobody these days can have civilised debate......

As you clearly know, no vaccine is 100% safe. We also know that many people have had mild illness from their jabs to date and a tiny tiny number have had serious illness or died. From what I've read so far, the likelihood of blood clots is higher in those of a younger age, but given the scarcity of data, that might be rubbish. 
    We do know that for under 30s, the AstraZeneca jab, for example, carries higher risk than the virus itself. Thats why the JCVI have recommended that the under 30s should be offered alternatives.

I've also read an article in the Times that no child without serious pre-existing health conditions has died of covid in the UK.

I hope that clarifies the point I was trying to make and my current thought process. Maybe you'd do me the courtesy of an intelligent response if you're able?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    @chris78 fair enough, but you quoted me and asked if it was fair to vaccinate children to save others when the vaccine is more dangerous than the virus itself. Do you understand why I reacted like I did. 
  • peanutspeanuts Frets: 49
    Average age of death 82.3 years  - slightly higher than average age of death from anything - why are you vaccinating your children ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 3719
    peanuts said:
    Average age of death 82.3 years  - slightly higher than average age of death from anything - why are you vaccinating your children ?
    Why are so many babies dying of Covid-19 in Brazil? 

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 1906
    Cols said:
    peanuts said:

Possibly, even probably, for all kinds of reasons -  many of which mayl have been “exploited” by covid.  Although it may change, in terms of deaths per population the UK was worse than Brazil when I looked a few days ago but I can see that Brazil is going to be used as the example for scaring everyone here on in.  Brazil is a very specific country and like any other there will be all sorts of reasons for things being as they are.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 588
    Cols said:
    peanuts said:

Not like the Beeb to be peddling fear. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    peanuts said:

Infant mortality in Brazil is around 4 1/2 times higher than in the UK.

You might find this interesting though for some balance:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanchi/article/PIIS2352-4642(21)00066-3/fulltext

Covid represents around 0.48% of child deaths from all causes.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 12277
    I'd seen the Brazil figures elsewhere than the BBC. 
    I think the interesting bit was that Covid can present itself differently in children, tends to be more gastrointestinal. 
    I don't think people with kids should be paranoid about this but maybe should know that the symptoms can present differently. 
    Inhale away Jackson Jeffrey Jackson.