Ever walked into a record store and bought the record that was playing ....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 6890
    edited April 19
    Yup a few times.

Portishead Dummy
    Mandaly Empathy
    Ron Sexsmith Secret heart
    SOAD 1st album

Sad part of this, is that I can't remember the last time I actually set foot in a record store... must be at least 10 years and that was most likely an HMV :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • markvmarkv Frets: 235
    I've done this just once that I can recall, which given how much time I've spent in record shops seems low.

It was in an HMV (I think) in Welwyn Garden City. I was in the habit of finding a record shop in whatever city I was in on a Monday (I travelled a lot) and looking at the new singles, since they'd often be heavily discounted the first week.

The Killers' Hot Fuss was playing, having just been released that day I believe. It sounded ace. Me and a colleague both bought copies.

I've listened to it about twice since. :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 362
    Only once, the first Rage Against the Machine album.
    Like an earlier poster though, I used to shop in Bristol's Park Street, and also at the top in Revolver where Roger used to get me into all sorts of good music.
     I also had a similar experience with the Couldn't Stand the Weather album by Stevie, my mate was in a Clash type band when that came out but he was a guitarist and played it for me - before the first track was done I knew I was buying it and moving on from punk.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 1270
    Once. I found the CD again recently, it was the second Grandaddy album and it's actually quite dull. Oh well.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 10241
    Not actually in a record shop, but I was at a film festival once and between films they were playing tracks by what turned out to be a French band called Nouvelle Vague - they did lounge music versions of things like Love Will Tear Us Apart, Making Plans for Nigel and Too Drunk to Fuck.

Anyway, I bought it and it was shite.  One track at a time it was amusing, but as an album it got irritating really quickly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 2103
    edited April 21
    I went to see Cathedral at Manchester in I think 95. Fantastic gig. And the support band Mourn (who I'd never heard of but I believe Reverend of this parish was involved with) were so damn good both me and my mate bought their CD right there. 

Still have the CD. Just as well, it's not on Spotify. 

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 369
    edited April 21
    Meddle by Floyd in my local guitar/music shop after they played it on vinyl record store day 

Hammer Smashed Face by Cannibal Corpse in Tesco Home & Entertainment

• munckeemunckee Frets: 7631
    I was in a record shop once and there was some great guitar playing, I asked the chap and he said it was Steely Dan who I had never really listened to. I bought the best of, didn’t sound what I had heard at all. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 448
    edited April 23
    Bought a Gloria Estafan cd on hearing Oye mi canto. The album was pants, in fact the song is a bit meh but the transition at the end of it were it does that syncopated brazilian thing is great. I played half a song on an album many times !
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 8301
    Couple of experiences but not in record shops. Once a guy was driving past blasting out some great Hendrix styled rock that I liked. I caught up with him when he got to traffic lights and I asked him what it was. It turned out to be Robin Trower’s Bridge of Sighs. I bought the album later the same day. 

Another time I was walking past Dixon’s and heard a great groove, went in and asked who it was. Level 42, Love Games. Still got it on 12” vinyl.  
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 3433
    Yup Counting Crows - August and everything after , Virgin Store in Inverness had only popped in to pick up something i had on order, heard it playing and bought a copy there and then