It's been 30 years since the world lost Steve Marriott - What an icon!

What's Hot
TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
Thanks to the old man, I grew up on a healthy diet of anything & everything, but mod culture perhaps moreso than anything else. The Kinks, The Jam, The Who, and probably my favourite of the bunch, The Small Faces. Every one of their hits is just a tour de force of songwriting prowess and vocals that'll send a shiver down your spine, and I truly believe their 60s output, no matter how limited, is comparable to the very best of that generation. Undoubtedly a singles band, but their albums are stunning, too!

I'll leave it there with one of my favourites. It may be 30 years since he died, but his music is always going to hold a dear place in my heart.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Oh go on then, one more...

I think it's about time I gave Humble Pie a real go as well ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    Many years of touring have meant that I've spent many a night in many of his hotels.  ;)

Seriously though, hard to believe it's been 30 years. The Small Faces had some great tunes and performances too! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I thought I remembered seeing him on Never Mind The Buzzcocks, but that can't have been more than 30 years ago.  Maybe it was Pop Quiz or something.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    edited April 2021
    I'm a total fanboy. His voice is right at the top of my list and I'll bang on about him for hours when I've had a couple. I really love the Frampton era Pie stuff as much as the bubblegum Faces. I didn't know who he was until it was too late either. His influence on Weller, Cradock etc. is pretty obvious too. 

I know @equalsql is a big fan too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    I went through a real fanboy stage in the 5 years before he died.

Say him many times in various bars around the country. 

Spoke with him a few times, he seemed to remember me from previous gigs and even bought me a beer once.

Nice guy, amazing singer and one hell of a guitar player.

For someonw who started out as a mod he could play the blues with the best of them.

Rip Steve. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 30 years since Stevie passed. Great guitarist (didn't  know that he was such a blues player).  But it coincides with me moving from Poland to UK.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    I once worked with a guy who loved him so much, he changed his surname to "Marriott" by deed poll.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    Nitefly said:
    I once worked with a guy who loved him so much, he changed his surname to "Marriott" by deed poll.

Did he become a successful Hotelier?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I think "All or Nothing" was the first riff I ever learned on the electric guitar, and I'm still trying to get it right...

Regarding his ability as a blues guitarist, I remember an interview in the music press long ago where he admitted his favourite guitar was the ES-335, then regarded as a bluesman's guitar.  But because Steve was so small he said he didn't use one on stage as he thought the large body guitar made him look silly.  This was in the Humble Pie days.  But of course later in his career he became associated with that very guitar.  
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    Neill said:
    I think "All or Nothing" was the first riff I ever learned on the electric guitar, and I'm still trying to get it right...

Regarding his ability as a blues guitarist, I remember an interview in the music press long ago where he admitted his favourite guitar was the ES-335, then regarded as a bluesman's guitar.  But because Steve was so small he said he didn't use one on stage as he thought the large body guitar made him look silly.  This was in the Humble Pie days.  But of course later in his career he became associated with that very guitar.  
    Indeed, who cares what it looksoke when you can play it that well.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Every time I see old videos of Steve I am just blown away, such a great voice and great stage presence. Pure passion!
    Tin soldier is just a totally brilliant song.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11301
    Marriott's biography is a very interesting read.  I suspect that nowadays he'd be described as being 'on the spectrum'.  One of my fave male vocalists, and TSF were an awesome band.  In truth he never really achieved in line with his talent, but his personality got in the way too frequently.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    Offset said:
    Marriott's biography is a very interesting read.  I suspect that nowadays he'd be described as being 'on the spectrum'.  One of my fave male vocalists, and TSF were an awesome band.  In truth he never really achieved in line with his talent, but his personality got in the way too frequently.

Started listening to him on Spotify after picking up on this thread. Was familiar with Itchycoo Park - which I always thought was a great song - but had never really heard anything else. Hell of a musician - great voice and guitar playing. Dunno how I managed to avoid him for so may years. Might see if I can pick up a copy of that autobiography as well.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11301
    AK99 said:
    Offset said:

Started listening to him on Spotify after picking up on this thread. Was familiar with Itchycoo Park - which I always thought was a great song - but had never really heard anything else. Hell of a musician - great voice and guitar playing. Dunno how I managed to avoid him for so may years. Might see if I can pick up a copy of that autobiography as well.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012XGLK66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    ^ Thanks Offset. Well worth a fiver :)
  • I recently found out that he's buried in the same cemetery as my Mother. Closest I've got to rock royalty 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    Probably all seen this but if not

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Probably all seen this but if not

That is such a great clip. It captures not only his great voice but also his artful Dodger character. Wonderful.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"