Amp engineers: What's your preferred pot cleaning spray?

I've got some scratchy pots on an amp and before diving into replace them  I'm planning to give them a squirt with a suitable cleaner to see if that resolves the issue. 

What's your preferred cleaner/lubricant for carbon track pots?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73410
    edited April 2021
    Servisol Super 10 or Electrolube EML, not much to choose between them other than they smell different .

If that fails, try WD-40 - the normal stuff, not the contact cleaner. It's not the 'right' product, but it can be effective if proper contact cleaner has already been tried and failed - it's a shot to nothing at that point since the only remaining alternative is to replace the pots anyway.

For some reason WD-40 seems especially effective (and usually necessary) on 1980s Marshall pots, I have no idea why!

And don't ever use WD-40 on digital encoder 'pots', it will wreck them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I only use servisol 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    edited April 2021
    I've got two types, but I don't have them to hand and can't remember what they're called. 
    One is something like computer cleaner and quickly evaporates leaving no residue. I'll try this first. Good for cleaning and safe to use on most things.
    The other is a lubricant type that does leave a very fine oily residue. This cleans and protects metal parts.

In other words I think it's worth having more than one type to try. They should last for ages as you want to use them sparingly. If you do want to soak the thing take it off and put it in a small container and leave it over night.