New Gordon Smith Offset

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Philly_Q said:

Their strat style is from £999, tele from £899 so I guess this is going to be in that ball park plus options. If the base model is a lot more than that I don't think I'd understand why.

That's one thing I have noticed, their prices are creeping up... which is fine if the guitars justify the price, but I do like the idea of a (relatively) cheap-and-cheerful British brand.  That's what made them unique.
    A basic spec GS is £800. I suppose if you went to a U.K.builder and asked for something similar it would be a lot more. And I get the impression that the consistency is there now which the earlier ones didn’t have. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks quite nice, hope it's available in fun colours too.

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
    I like that. Definitely adding that to the list of things to try when normality returns.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714
    Philly_Q said:

Their strat style is from £999, tele from £899 so I guess this is going to be in that ball park plus options. If the base model is a lot more than that I don't think I'd understand why.

That's one thing I have noticed, their prices are creeping up... which is fine if the guitars justify the price, but I do like the idea of a (relatively) cheap-and-cheerful British brand.  That's what made them unique.
    A basic spec GS is £800. I suppose if you went to a U.K.builder and asked for something similar it would be a lot more. And I get the impression that the consistency is there now which the earlier ones didn’t have. 
    I think it is - certainly the build quality is much improved.  That said, I have a GS2 and a GS1, both of which are meant to have the "thick" neck profile, but the necks feel completely different... I'll measure them some time, to try to get to the bottom of it.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Thinking BilT guitars - Zaftig
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    I like that!
    Call me Dave.
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    edited April 2021
    I think it looks good. 

I bought a 1.6 from the new factory and I own two older 2nd hand models - a gypsy and a graduate. 

In terms of finish, the newer models are in a different league. They did everything I asked for and were great to deal with and it played well and sounded good but it didn’t have any magic about it so I let it go. 

The graduate I have is unbelievably special. The best playing guitar I own. The gypsy is ok but the 1.6 was no worse than it. I will probably sell it too. 

So I have a small sample size to draw from but I would love it if they can make something that plays as special as that graduate. 

Will try one of these but don’t think I’ll buy one sight unseen again because I need to know it will be magic!
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Hopefully the trem unit isn't one of the cheap OEM jobs....
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Something interesting I've noticed about Gordon Smith is that they use poplar for necks, which I've never seen any other manufacturer doing; it seems to be mostly used for bodies on cheaper guitars.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    My favourite guitars are made from poplar. 
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    grungebob said:

Body or neck?

I've heard of plenty of guitars with poplar bodies, including my Squier P-bass, but not really heard of it being used for necks elsewhere, I would have thought it was too soft or not stiff enough.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Jeremiah said:
    grungebob said:

Body or neck?

I've heard of plenty of guitars with poplar bodies, including my Squier P-bass, but not really heard of it being used for necks elsewhere, I would have thought it was too soft or not stiff enough.
    Used a lot in parker flys ( was wrapped in carbon fibre though)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    I've never had a poplar neck - Grover Jackson was using basswood for necks on his GJ2 / Friedman guitars, which I avoided as I think both of those timbers are too soft as Jeremiah says (I think Grover was going 3 piece but still...).

Poplar bodies have quite a tight sound, which I love for rhythm but I think you need hotter pickups for leads. I tend to associate poplar with the Gibson ES-335 and Jackson/Charvel RRs and Dinkys.

Back on topic...I think the new Gordon Smith stuff looks great and I hope the forum gets behind them.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Harmony and Danelectro guitars had poplar necks back in the day, no? A few have even survived to the present day... ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22714
    I feel uncomfortable challenging the collective knowledge of the last few posts, but I'm pretty sure Gordon Smith's set neck guitars usually have mahogany necks, and their bolt-ons have maple.  They do use poplar for some bodies.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    If you order direct from GS there is a choice of poplar, mahogany, maple, korina, flame maple and roasted flame maple. Also a choice of body woods, fingerboard woods, hardware,etc. 
    I think historically they used a lot of poplar ( they say as much on the website) but a quick look at some guitars built for stock and none had poplar necks so I think just an option these days. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Looks like they all generally come with alpha pots and associated cheap parts as all guitars seems to come with a £70/£90 cts upgrade option.

I am surprised at the prices that the copies come out at.
    I spec'd up a strat for fun and it came in at £1700+
    At that money I can't see why you would ever buy a GS over a fender
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    Some interesting GS bits on the 9-42 podcast this month. Interestingly they do factory tour events.. maybe an idea for a group outing when we're all allowed out ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
    I visited the old workshop many times but I expect the new one looks very different.

I wonder how many of John's old contraptions they still use?
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5729
    Looks like they all generally come with alpha pots and associated cheap parts as all guitars seems to come with a £70/£90 cts upgrade option.

I am surprised at the prices that the copies come out at.
    I spec'd up a strat for fun and it came in at £1700+
    At that money I can't see why you would ever buy a GS over a fender
    Spec up your own Strat with Fender and it’s going to get over £4K though, so quite a different proposition. I’ve never played one of their bolt on guitars and I’m not sure they’d be more first call for a Strat but I’d like to try one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom