Rack wiring

We have a pretty comes PA setup. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and Beringer ada8000 that takes all our mics then I wire the outputs into a Beringer xr16. This gives me the ability for everyone in the band to control their own monitor mix and me to record every track independently.

It works great but my only problem is that I need to rewire the front connection every time because my 1/4inch jack loom has straight connectors and the front of the ABS rack case doesn't give enormous GH clearance to close without putting stress on the wires.

So my question is...what is the most cost effective way I could leave this all wired up? A new loom with right angled jack's is a possibility but it's pricey for 10 channels.

I was wondering if there are any kind of spacers that would allow me to mount the XR further back in the rack case giving more clearance to the front. The cas is full depth and everything in there is only have depth anyway so there is tons of empty space behind there.

Failing that what's the cheapest way to get a suitable loom?

Also considering if it's worth getting a small stage box so I don't have to faff around in the back of the rack putting the mics into the Focusrite.

Any tips or ideas?
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Bite the bullet and get the right angle loom.

Cheapest is to make it yourself if you can solder.
    Otherwise call Studiocare, they make some competitively priced looms.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I would sell it all and buy a Ui24R  ..... that achieves the same thing with a lot less hassle. 

Other than that though CPC do a lot of affordable looms, typically less than £20 for an 8 way but I'm not sure they do angled versions. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Why are you using the Scarlett & the ada8000? Why not use the mic pres in the XR16?  You can leave stuff plugged  in to the xr16, plenty of clearance in a rack lid  
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    John_A said:
    Why are you using the Scarlett & the ada8000? Why not use the mic pres in the XR16?  You can leave stuff plugged  in to the xr16, plenty of clearance in a rack lid  
    The behringer only records a stereo out. With the soundcard as well I can get all the channels. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Depending how many monitor mixes you need, I would sell the xr16 and get the xr18 - you can record every input via usb at the same time as running your foh and 6 mono monitor mixes. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_P said:
    Depending how many monitor mixes you need, I would sell the xr16 and get the xr18 - you can record every input via usb at the same time as running your foh and 6 mono monitor mixes. 
    Yep this. 
    Prob would be more sensible but the interfaces are mine and the PA is the bands and dont think the other guys really care about upgrading
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Prob would be more sensible but the interfaces are mine and the PA is the bands and dont think the other guys really care about upgrading
    Even selling the Scarlett and the ADA would get you close to buying an XR18 of your own. They're absolutely worth the difference over the 16 for the extra I/O and the ability to multitrack. Would also cut out all of that complexity and size in your setup and replace 2u of gear and looms with a single USB cable to your laptop! 

Alternatively, any local engineering/fabrication place should be able to knock you up recessed rack ears. If you take your existing ones down and just explain what you need you can probably get them knocked up quite cheaply. It's just a bit of bent metal with holes drilled in the right places, after all!
    Looks like rack adapters are a thing, ordered some from a network rack place 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26452
    Erm...why not just get the soldering iron out and replace the straight jacks with angled ones? An hour's work, and it results in neater wiring whether you've got rack adapters or not....?
    <space for hire>
    Erm...why not just get the soldering iron out and replace the straight jacks with angled ones? An hour's work, and it results in neater wiring whether you've got rack adapters or not....?
    You haven't seen my soldering! Straight jacks recessed is actually a bit more convenient I think as we use all 3 rows of the inputs / outputs on the XR so angle jacks might have been a squeeze on the middle row anyways.

https://img.imuso.co.uk/imusouk/products/behringer-x-air-xr16-1-1146.jpg

We use 1-10, 15-16 and all 4 auxes plus the main outs when we actually use a PA rather than our IEMs
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ