Using the guitar volume knob for volume swells

What's Hot
TeflonTeflon Frets: 221
edited April 2021 in Technique
I dare say the music won't appeal to many of you here (though I love it), but nevertheless I thought I'd post a link to a video that impressed me recently. The video is quite long, but the pertinent bit starts at 45:30.  It's a version of the Shadows "Deer Hunter", but in order to effect the "swells", the guitarist playing it (Echank Ceasar) uses the guitar volume pot instead of the more usual volume pedal.

I've seen this done before, but this guy makes it look so easy, and with the clear tone and simple melody involved, there's no room for error on his part. I think he does an amazing job. Thoughts anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99GF0gFGE0&t=2579s
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited April 2021
    I've tried to get on with that. Greg Koch on YouTube is a master. I've always come back to a volume pedal though. Just sounds better in my hands/feet.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Nicely done, and a great sound too.  Agree there’s potential for it all to go horribly wrong, but he obviously knows what he’s doing
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 842

Bill Kirchen does this on his telecaster, along with using the tone knob for wah like sounds.  Hands like shovels though.  My tiny mitts can't pull it off.

• TeflonTeflon Frets: 221
    Glad you guys appreciate it.  It must be so much simpler just to use a volume pedal, but I guess learning this method means  less kit to worry about!  It looks so easy in the video, but I find my right hand already has enough to do just picking the notes, never mind using the whammy bar and then adjusting the volume!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    The trick is to pick with a whole hand movement. Trying to pick with the thumb and index finger whilst moving your little finger independently is asking for trouble.

It helps having a Stratocaster where a single volume control is within reach without changing your picking hand position. I’ve seen Jan Akkerman do it on a Les Paul, but couldn’t replicate myself. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 221
    Cheers, I shall give that a go. I'd best prepare the Mrs for lots of swearing though LOL!

• RichardrichardRichardrichard Frets: 351
    edited April 2021
    I like it when EVH does it in his long solo / eruption live (7:00)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    Laur Joamets is a master on this doing pedal steel style sounds with a slide and volume swells.
    Check the whole song or the solo at 1.38:

• BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    I find it easier by wrapping an elastic band around the volume control because it helps with the grip