Apple users - Filing / Saving Audio Projects

A straight forward newbie question but one I'm not 100% on.    After you've completed a project - mixed and mastered etc, what do you do with the   (in my case)   Logic project?   Do you   leave the   project   in the   the Music folder or do you   save it elsewhere?

It may seem a silly question but in an effort to keep things clean and organised I've been savig the stems   in a document folder as I have to export them to. mixer anyway.  I'm then left with sometimes a couple of actual Logic project s cluttering up the   Logic music folder  and sometimes making quick navigation tricky.   

What is your storing / backing up /labelling  process for safekeeping and quick navigation on completion?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I try to finalise a project with audio stems of every track. This project folder is then saved into at least 2 separate drives.
    I don't use a cloud backup service, but this would be a further step that should be done.
     At least this way the finished project can be removed from my working machine, safe with the knowledge that it could be resurrected on another machine, in a different DAW at a later date.
    You don't want your project to be OS, software or DAW dependant for long term storage.
    Save all tracks as WAV files, which can be opened universally, and it is up to you how close this should sound to the final mix.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3599
    edited April 2021
    I have a projects folder jn documents and back up to an external drive.  I drop .wav tracks/stems into Bandlab too for online collaboration with bandmates that became necessary in lockdown.  It makes a nice backup/archive

Each tune has its own folder/save location and I have an export folder in each for final mixes.

a manual save immediately avoids autosaving shenanigans that need to be undone.

You can also alter how it save all the dependent files to one place to keep things organised.
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcpce128e82/mac

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Mine get backed up to the NAS, then the NAS to the cloud.