Clapton SLO Era Sound

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
I'm having a wander down Clapton's late 80's SLO rig sound, both studio and live. 

Some of it is pretty clear and obvious, some a little rumour and some no idea and guessing.

Two parts I'm struggling with is

what speakers did Clapton use with the SLO, I see the 4x12 in live / promotion photos and videos, but I can't find what speakers where in them.

On the studio recordings of that time and in some of the live stuff I've heard, there is a clear reverb on the main guitar tracks, the studio it's easy to associate this to a recording setup, however live I see nothing in the Cornish rack to create the reverb, I guess it could be part of the sound guys mix, but I'm curious, if/what reverb unit he used with the SLO
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    What’s the defining recording for Claptons SLO period? Presume he had moved on from them by the time of From the cradle?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    darcym said:

what speakers did Clapton use with the SLO, I see the 4x12 in live / promotion photos and videos, but I can't find what speakers where in them.
    Either Soldano's own-spec Eminences, or EVs, I forget which.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    ICBM said:
    darcym said:

Something about EV's ring a bell
    ICBM said:
    darcym said:

EV's, very bottom of the page according to Pete Cornish.

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    ahhh that's cool I'd not seen that, and I'd not even considered EV's, so that's great.

that's an interesting read on it's own, I don't know why I'd not looked on Pete's site as he has a great bit on Brian May, so why not Clapton.

darcym said:
    that's an interesting read on it's own, I don't know why I'd not looked on Pete's site as he has a great bit on Brian May, so why not Clapton.

There's various potential units that could provide the Reverb in those lists as well, but it's quite a dense read.

Yamaha GEP50 maybe?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    It's crazy how much cost and effort must have gone into that and I have a GT1000 CORE sat on my desk that could do ten times more flexibility.
    It's crazy how much cost and effort must have gone into that and I have a GT1000 CORE sat on my desk that could do ten times more flexibility.

that would be an interesting challenge, re-create to a high standard, famous rack rigs of the 80's (you're allowed to use the real amp) using something like a GT1000
    darcym said:

that would be an interesting challenge, re-create to a high standard, famous rack rigs of the 80's (you're allowed to use the real amp) using something like a GT1000

I've got an SLO And a Core sitting.

Although I'm moving house soon so they're put out of the way.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    EV’s
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672

Agreed. When you look at those colossal Cornish and Bradshaw rigs it's astounding how flexible modern day MultiFX and switching systems are. That Clapton rig could easily be duplicated with a BOSS GT-1000, a Helix or a Headrush. They could even get very close with a bunch of decent pedals and a BOSS ES-8 or a Gigrig G2.
  • I love this era of his sound, I'd say 24 nights is the SLO live but the mix is horrible compared with the Radio 1 live broadcasts I bootlegged at the time!
    I love this era of his sound, I'd say 24 nights is the SLO live but the mix is horrible compared with the Radio 1 live broadcasts I bootlegged at the time!
    I'm glad you said that, I've been trying to be sure if 24 nights was in fact the SLO, I was pretty confident but not sure.

• 24 nights is one of my favourite albums of his.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    24 nights is one of my favourite albums of his.
    agreed

I have a friend who went and said the show he went to was the best live experience of his life. 
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19226/lot/91/

EVM12Ls as suggested earlier.

Crunch channel on the SLO and then TC 2290