Advice needed - EQ/Filter recommendations for use with (after) fuzz

What's Hot
absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
edited April 2021 in FX
Hey,

Right so I am on a bit of a Jesus and Mary Chain kick at the moment and i've built a fun little mini board to play around with some of those sort of Psychocandy sounds.  I managed to pick up a JHS Supreme which is based on the Shin Ei FY-2.  Reading about the JAMC fuzz tone it was largely created using a Shin Ei fuzz wah where the wah is set in a cocked wah position to add a lot of upper mid and high end frequencies and strangle a fair chunk of the low mids and bass.  As I dont have space for such a pedal (plus reliability, etc) I went with the Supreme with the idea of putting an EQ after the fuzz to try and achieve the effect.  Naturally i've looked at the GE-7, etc but i've also investigated things like envelope filters such as the DOD 440 (quite hard to find these days).  I guess I could look at a boost or a drive as well where I am using more of the tone controls rather than the gain (the supreme has a LOT of gain already)...trouble is finding something that can carve the mids as a lot of drives seem to have an all in tone control or treble and bass.  I thought i'd throw it out to the floor for any recommendations people might have that I havent considered.

Sorry for the long and winding post.

Cheers,
Chris
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Also I shouldve said I am deliberately using a pedaltrain nano+ as its a fly-rig of sorts so I only have a slot for 1 boss sized enclosure left - which means big pedals are a bit out of the question
  • IndieeIndiee Frets: 13
    about to impulse buy a JHS Supreme (as JAMC are my lifetime fav band)...   but I'll try to get one of my five other fuzz's work first!    Didn't know that was a Shin Ei FY-2 clone...  watching one on ebay for ages, but is silly price

• absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    edited April 2021
    Yeah the supreme is an FY-2...there's one on ebay at £145 at the moment but in my eyes its overpriced.  I got mine for £95 there.  The originals are getting expensive but they were made under loads of brands so you can pick non-Shin Ei branded ones up for cheaper.  Also worth looking at the Fredric Effects Super Unpleasant Companion.  It wouldve been my first choice but it doesnt fit on my nano board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IndieeIndiee Frets: 13
    (i was referring to an actual Shin Ei FY-2)

• So, considering the Wampler EQuator for my needs if anyone has any thoughts
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 918
    Leftfield suggestion: the Earthquaker Devices Night Wire actually does a decent cocked wah sound. Might not be exactly what you're after, but...
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    The Stonedeaf pedals do the cocked wah thing. Their Qboost and Fig fumb sound very QOTSA, and the PDF1X can take an expression pedal so might get you JAMC?
  • timbuk02 said:
    The Stonedeaf pedals do the cocked wah thing. Their Qboost and Fig fumb sound very QOTSA, and the PDF1X can take an expression pedal so might get you JAMC?
    I did consider the stone deaf pedals but think they’ll exceed the board sizes sadly
  • Leftfield suggestion: the Earthquaker Devices Night Wire actually does a decent cocked wah sound. Might not be exactly what you're after, but...
    That’s a good shout…I’ll take a look
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    EQD Tone Job maybe? Very easy to use.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    edited April 2021
    The Dunlop Crybaby Q Zone might be worth a look?
  • Don't ehx make a cocked wah

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Not sure exactly what sound you're after (haven't listened to Psychocandy in ages!) but rather than the Super Unpleasant Companion, I'd suggest the Unpleasant Companion Mk II. It's also a FY-2 clone, but in a standard size enclosure. Most importantly, the Mk II has a scoop/tone control as well as level and fuzz and might well give the sound you want in one pedal.

I have one, I've been toying with the idea of selling it but I'm still sitting on the fence - it's great for certain sounds! - but I might be persuaded ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    You probably need a Boss Spectrum copy... I believe the Behringer SE200 is one, but I haven’t tried it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• absolutpepperabsolutpepper Frets: 222
    @ICBM I think you are right…I have been considering one but obviously an original is out of the question. Didn’t know behringer made a copy but it makes sense so I’ll take a look
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    Source Audio Spectrum is the best filter I’ve found for decades. So versatile.

• Weaver85Weaver85 Frets: 91
    edited May 2021
    Boss AW-2
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom