Star Wars etc quandaries ?

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
Ok, just watched the Manolorian all the way through and the following occurred to me.
presumably the SW etc knowledgeables will have the Answer...

so we have Death Stars, and we have star destroyers and we have 1 person x wings, and space ships which take off form the middle of the street and go into deep space and hyperspace.  We have speeders, and we have blasters and all sorts of weird and wonderful weapons.  We have 3D hologram video clips,

but nobody has a mobile phone ...?  
Even Star Trek had communicators,

all of the SW cast have to go into a space ship to make contact with anyone .  Anyone lost in the desert after their space ship has blown up or their speeder has broken are incommunicado ?

what’s that all about ?

great series by the way

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    It’s in a galaxy far, far away so their technology isn’t an evolution of our technology ( do the humans even originate from earth?). 

And it’s fiction. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    It would ruin everything.

Leia could have just emailed the Death Star plans right at the beginning and saved all the bother.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    They have communicators in canon.... even holo ones held in the palm

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244

Leia could have just emailed the Death Star plans right at the beginning and saved all the bother.
    Sorry this attachment is too big... Going to have to Dropbox that sucker! 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Nokia's just don't have the range, and you try getting top-ups in space.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    edited April 2021
    Mobile phones only work because of the masts. No mobile network on far away planets or in space or anywhere near my house
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    I guess it's somewhat a limitation of imagination stemming from when it was made that has been honoured as it has developed - now it's just a part of the "willing suspension of disbelief" that's necessary for a lot of entertainment to work. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    TimmyO said:
    I guess it's somewhat a limitation of imagination stemming from when it was made that has been honoured as it has developed - now it's just a part of the "willing suspension of disbelief" that's necessary for a lot of entertainment to work. 
    Wasn't it Back To The Future 2 that imagined a fax machine in every corner? :-) Pocket Comms seem.hard tomimagine even a few decades ago 
    Red ones are better. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    edited April 2021 tFB Trader
     Communiation on planets fine, but other communication would have to propagate at light speed so it becomes reasonable that ships with warp drives are the only mechanism to distribute messages between distant planets.

Also it's a film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6989
    Pretty sure they do.  Han and Luke had communicators on the Death Star for keeping in touch with C3PO.  They were constantly yapping on them on Hoth, and Lando’s sidekick on Cloud City had a really Gucci number built into his head.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RU on o2? 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    edited April 2021
    Cols said:
    Pretty sure they do.  Han and Luke had communicators on the Death Star for keeping in touch with C3PO.  They were constantly yapping on them on Hoth, and Lando’s sidekick on Cloud City had a really Gucci number built into his head.
    There's a bald guy where I work who often walks around with a blank expression and a big pair of over-the-ear wireless headphones on. I'll never be able to remember his real name because to me he'll always be Lobot.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1592
    sev112 said:

They also don't have wifi. R2D2 always has to plug into the computer.

And don't mention in Episode 9 how the Death Star crashed into Endor but didnt cause a massive climactic disaster, like when the much smaller comet wiped out the dinosaurs.

See the quandary, you did.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    dano said:
    sev112 said:

They also don't have wifi. R2D2 always has to plug into the computer.

And don't mention in Episode 9 how the Death Star crashed into Endor but didnt cause a massive climactic disaster, like when the much smaller comet wiped out the dinosaurs.

See the quandary, you did.

Yeah, or how in ROTJ it clearly explodes into zillions of tiny fragments, yet later seems to have much of the structure still intact, even after crashing through a planetary atmosphere and smashing into the ground
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've never seen anyone use toilet paper in Star Wars.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6989
    Sassafras said:
    Errrr… what kind of films are you watching?!
  • Cols said:
    Sassafras said:
    Errrr… what kind of films are you watching?!
    Revenge of the shit.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Next quandry ...

you never see anyone saying, “hold on , my blaster is recharging, I’ll be with you in a minute”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    edited April 2021
    Trude said:

Yeah, or how in ROTJ it clearly explodes into zillions of tiny fragments, yet later seems to have much of the structure still intact, even after crashing through a planetary atmosphere and smashing into the ground
    And of all the possible orientations in three axes a sphere can land in, by a remarkable coincidence it just happens to be the one where the Emperor's command chair is the right way up...

Part IX was utter tripe though - if you want to see how it should have ended, read the Colin Trevorrow script which was binned in favour of it - it's an absolute travesty that it wasn't what they made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xeO1V2T_abmbKSdDWe7nivLM4OOKnEWG/view

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8792
    I find your lack of faith disturbing....
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom