Is rehearsal now legal?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    Is rehearsal now legal?!  If certain members of the band I'm in are to go by, practice* has been outlawed, let alone rehearsal.

*Practice - that thing one is supposed to do before turning up to rehearsal.

Nothing worse than turning up prepared to find the rest learning at the rehearsal....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Is rehearsal now legal?!  If certain members of the band I'm in are to go by, practice* has been outlawed, let alone rehearsal.

Nothing worse than turning up prepared to find the rest learning at the rehearsal....
    Almost, but not quite.  The worst thing is when you turn up at rehearsal and one of the guys hasn't learned what he was supposed to but has instead learned an entirely different song, which was never on the radar, and then plays it at every opportunity during the session.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Musicwolf said:

Almost, but not quite.  The worst thing is when you turn up at rehearsal and one of the guys hasn't learned what he was supposed to but has instead learned an entirely different song, which was never on the radar, and then plays it at every opportunity during the session.

We agreed on a song between us to learn for the next rehearsal. The keyboard player made the decision at some point that he didn’t like the song so wouldn’t learn it. Trouble is he didn’t tell the rest of us until we got together and we had all learnt it. That was a frosty practice session...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    We agreed on a song between us to learn for the next rehearsal. The keyboard player made the decision at some point that he didn’t like the song so wouldn’t learn it. Trouble is he didn’t tell the rest of us until we got together and we had all learnt it. That was a frosty practice session...
    At which point I tell the offender to sit down and watch while the adults do their thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What we try to do is to have a list of songs to learn (in an agreed key, reference to a particular arrangement on YouTube or such) and we all go away and learn them.  It doesn't matter how quickly but it does matter that we stick to the order and, if someone is having a problem, we ask them to speak up and we can skip a song.

The idea is that when we get to the rehearsal we move at the pace of the slowest learner but at least we should all know the same songs.  It avoids that one person has learned songs A, B and C whilst someone else has learned D, E and F.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    We have a general rule that everyone’s allowed to veto a song as long as they give a clear reason (I.e. something better than “Don’t wanna”).

Too many bad exotic someone grudgingly agreeing to do a song and then sabotaging it in a passive aggressive manner by ‘forgetting’ to learn it, or just playing it with such an obvious lack of enthusiasm that it’ll go over badly with the audience. 
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    I understand this.   I blame myself for not taking an active role in selecting the song list.  Now I have done so, there's more sanity to song choice.   

This week band #1 were back in the rehearsal room for the first time in about 8 months.  The drummer had barely touched his kit for 8 months, so expectations were low, but in the end he wasn’t too bad.

What I’ve noticed across my two bands is that people have squandered lockdown.  Yes it’s been shit.  The bass player in one band got made redundant, guitarist in another is self-employed and saw his business drop to nothing, we’ve cancelled holidays, couldn’t go to the pub etc – but we’ve had loads of time on our hands in which to practice.

For decades I’ve played in bands and a common theme has been people using a lack of time as an excuse for not achieving a high standard.  As I’ve always thought it’s not about time, it’s about motivation.  There is this notion that, to become an expert in some field or other, you simply need to practice for 10,000 hours.  This misses the point that, to complete 10,000 hours of practice, you need to be highly motivated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    We had our first rehearsal yesterday and it went great. We had all prepared and sailed through a 1 hour set for a tribute festival next weekend. Practiced basically most of the day but a lot of it was chatting and enjoying each other’s company. It was just great to play again...
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531

The biggest offender in our band is the drummer. He thinks he can just make it up as he goes along. We've been playing together for over 15 years and he's never changed. He's a pretty good drummer but he's never actually "learned" to play so technically he really hasn't got much idea about what he's doing. He was previously a guitarist who just happened to have the ability to play the drums. A drum teacher friend of mine depped for him once .He'd never played with us before , I literally just gave him the set list at the start of the gig and off we went,  he was flawless. We sounded like totally different band.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    ESBlonde said:
    So we had our rehearsal today ready for the gig on the 22nd.
    It was great to feel some air move and wonderful to be with old chums. But by heck I'm out of condition - I had chronic left hand cramp after 3 hours and felt knackered after the 4.5 hour session. I also need to harden up my calluses as my fingers are sore and my throat took a beating.
    So get yourselves into shape folks, as a veteran of decades of gigging I was not ready.
    Well the gig was a blast, crowd very well behaved (there was limited dancing at a few tables at the end of the night  - allegedly).
    The venue were also looking to get someone for this weekend because of a drop out. Neither of our girl singers could do their solo acts as they were booked out, so I put forward my country band. Venue have never had country but are giving g it a go (tickets selling fast I'm told). So last night I met the band and rehearsed for the first time in 16 months. All systems go. I hope everyone else gets a good start back into the gigging scene.
    I’ve got my first solo gig Friday night, let’s see how this goes....