DDP files

Do you normally produce / send DDP files when getting CD’s produced?

There are no out of the ordinary cross fades and happy with default track spacing so are they necessary? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    What is the alternative -- sending a bunch of files plus instructions, or a CD-R? With the former, do they have a robust way of ensuring the track order is correct?
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Last time I got it done I think I sent bin and cue files and my CD burning software could spit those out

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4700
    Stuckfast said:
    What is the alternative -- sending a bunch of files plus instructions, or a CD-R? With the former, do they have a robust way of ensuring the track order is correct?
    I'd just name the files the names of the songs and send them the song order list.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    I always send DDP files. I check with the CD pressing company before sending if I have not used the company before but so far have yet to come across one that does not accept DDP files.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4700
    Whistler said:
    I always send DDP files. I check with the CD pressing company before sending if I have not used the company before but so far have yet to come across one that does not accept DDP files.
    Thanks.  They don't require them but accept them if we have them - what is the issue of proceeding without them and just sending them the tracks?
  • I've sent DDP before. I may be wrong, but I think DDP files are for 3 main things:
     - setting the amount of time between tracks
    - CD text
    - embedding ISRC codes, which can help keep track of where and when your music is played and ensure royalties are paid

With most music and radio stations dealing with digital files I don't know how relevant all this is anymore.

If you don't have the DDP, you could probably just pass this info. along. DDP software is expensive...
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    - embedding ISRC codes, which can help keep track of where and when your music is played and ensure royalties are paid
    Now I remember why I started using DDP - for ISRC codes.