New Classic Vibe Esquires

What's Hot

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1833
    Is an Esquire a Telecaster model or a design all of its own? I've seen both and can't see much difference between either so I assume an Esquire is a modified Tele? Or am I spectacularly wrong?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Green and orange probably only in shot to illustrate the finish colour options.
    They'll all be bought up over here in NI. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is an Esquire a Telecaster model or a design all of its own? I've seen both and can't see much difference between either so I assume an Esquire is a modified Tele? Or am I spectacularly wrong?
    A telecaster is a modified esquire historically. From memory, the single pickup came first, then a 2 pickup version was introduced but kept the Esquire name. The 2 pickup version then became known as the Broadcaster shortly afterwards. 

That means you do occasionally see what we know as Telecasters labelled as Esquires in the vintage market. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1833
    Is an Esquire a Telecaster model or a design all of its own? I've seen both and can't see much difference between either so I assume an Esquire is a modified Tele? Or am I spectacularly wrong?
    A telecaster is a modified esquire historically. From memory, the single pickup came first, then a 2 pickup version was introduced but kept the Esquire name. The 2 pickup version then became known as the Broadcaster shortly afterwards. 

That means you do occasionally see what we know as Telecasters labelled as Esquires in the vintage market. 
    I have heard that Broadcasters were the original Teles.Were Esquires before or after the original Broadcasters?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    I assume an Esquire is a modified Tele
    In the context of this Discussion, a Fender Esquire is a Telecaster with the neck pickup omitted and the selector switch reconfigured to extract three distinct sounds from the single pickup.

This originally brought a saving of thirty Dollars, at a time when the entire Telecaster probably cost approximately two hundred.

Historically, the name Esquire predates Broadcaster, "Nocaster" and Telecaster. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Shame it doesn't have a neck route but it actually looks really cool without the pickguard! Still want to try one of these.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    Tempted by the Lake Placid Blue I have to say...
    Do these Squier FSRs normally sell out on pre order or reckon they'll still be available when they're actually in shops? Just wondering if I'm gonna have to pre-order or if I can wait til they can send it straight away so I'm not left hanging for a few months.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9271

I have heard that Broadcasters were the original Teles.Were Esquires before or after the original Broadcasters?
    The esquire came before the broadcaster.
    Originally the esquire was a single pickup model, a small amount of 2 pickup esquires were then made and the broadcaster followed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    TTBZ said:
    Do these Squier FSRs normally sell out on pre order or reckon they'll still be available when they're actually in shops? Just wondering if I'm gonna have to pre-order or if I can wait til they can send it straight away so I'm not left hanging for a few months.
    The next batch of purple Classic Vibes is now supposedly four weeks away and they're still taking pre-orders on those, not showing sold out yet. Been advertising them for ages too (I've been on the list for a fair old while, and they'd been on offer for a bit before I found out about them).
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • Is an Esquire a Telecaster model or a design all of its own? I've seen both and can't see much difference between either so I assume an Esquire is a modified Tele? Or am I spectacularly wrong?

Esquire > Broadcaster > Nocaster > Telecaster
    edited April 2021
    Just to confuse the matter, the very earliest 1950 Esquire was available in a choice of single or dual pickup versions. Initial production had no truss rod.

Broadcasters have an adjustable truss rod. The name change may have been partly to differentiate from the non-reinforced neck examples.

The name Esquire returned in 1951 and, ever since, has applied to a single pickup guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5459
    Would these be good for downtuning to B/C? Will that single pickup and the tone options give a baritone kinda sound?
    My strat was ok in C with 12s so a tele should be fine too, I reckon tuning that low should sound great on a tele bridge pickup :)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 476
    edited May 2021
    Along with the double bound Esquires and Teles it looks like they have done a bunch of other CV models in cool colours in collaboration with CME:

I'm very tempted by that black thinline.
    DiscoStu said:
    Would these be good for downtuning to B/C? Will that single pickup and the tone options give a baritone kinda sound?
    Restringing to B Standard or C Standard might require some nut slot widening (but not deepening!) or, possibly,  replacement with something taller.

The change to a wound fourth string would improve the intonation on any three-saddle bridge with straight cut rod sections. By the same token, it will mess up the intonation with most preset compensated saddle sets.

With these aspects sorted, the sound would be kinda Baritone but the string tension could prove kinda wriggly. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    I'm very tempted by that black thinline.
    Yep, that's all sorts of lush.
    I'm surprised that Anderton's has not arranged for a purple Peter Honoré Telecaster Thinline.