SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Counterfeit strings - have I been duped?

What's Hot
robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
edited April 2021 in Misc £
Just bought 2 sets of Elixir acoustic strings for £9.50 delivered on eBay! UK seller, arrived today and they look genuine! Is there a counterfeit guitar string market? 

EDIT - just found a video on YouTube telling you how to spot the difference - if it looks too good to be true .....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    UPDATE - checked the video and the individual wrappers look wrong but the strings look real! Tight windings at the ball end (supposedly much ‘thinner’ on fakes) and the ball end is shiny gold (silver on fakes). They don’t ‘look’ like cheap strings! 

Will stick them on and see how they sound (and last)!

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    When  you are done with them send them to Elixir for review ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 600
    I bought some counterfeit elixir strings from Amazon a while back. Some aspects passed the counterfeit test whilst others didn't so it was quite hard to tell. Ultimately the fact I snapped one within 5 mins of restringing was the biggest clue so I sent them to the counterfeit department and got a refund.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4169
    I don't know about Elixir but, in the case of D'Addario strings, if they are silly cheap and on eBay they will be fake.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5399
    Ordered cheap stuff on Ebay. Got counterfeit rubbish. Wow! Who'd a thunk it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    Tannin said:
    Ordered cheap stuff on Ebay. Got counterfeit rubbish. Wow! Who'd a thunk it?
    Say it as you see it, eh?