D Style amp users.... FX loops

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
Evening all.

I have a couple of “D” type amps, both DWJ’s one an ODS 50 and the other a Bluesmaster 50. I love them both, they are fantastic however tonight I had a wow moment by using a DWJ “loopalator” in the FX loop. Of course with it being valve driven it adds another gain stage but it does seem to bring the amp alive in a way. 

Do you use the valve loops on your amps?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NerineNerine Frets: 2111
    Why does everyone say “D Style”? 

Are we not allowed to say Dumble? 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Due only because I was being lazy @Nerine ive had a few hours on my guitar and my fingers are shattered ha
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Nerine said:

If you invoke his name he might appear and eat all your chocolate digestives.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    octatonic said:
    Nerine said:

If you invoke his name he might appear and eat all your chocolate digestives.
    Apparently you’ve got to say his name three times into a mirrored scratch plate. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2111
    octatonic said:
    I don’t think anyone could possibly sound any more condescending than Kaiser. 
    These videos are truly legendary/awful. 
    He just seems like an utter whack job. 
    He’s utterly shit, too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    More Dumbo than Dumble.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Nerine said:
    octatonic said:
    I don’t think anyone could possibly sound any more condescending than Kaiser. 
    These videos are truly legendary/awful. 
    He just seems like an utter whack job. 
    He’s utterly shit, too. 

I think these videos are the true reason there are so few Dumble amps out there. :-)

I shall be incorporating the bagpipe effect much more into my own covers - my band mates can`t wait! 
  • Dan5150Dan5150 Frets: 20
    shaunm said:
    Evening all.

I have a couple of “D” type amps, both DWJ’s one an ODS 50 and the other a Bluesmaster 50. I love them both, they are fantastic however tonight I had a wow moment by using a DWJ “loopalator” in the FX loop. Of course with it being valve driven it adds another gain stage but it does seem to bring the amp alive in a way. 

I recent grabbed a Ceriatone Bluesmaster from the classified section on here. I’ve tried the loop with very short cables and a reverb pedal and it works ok but something definitely gets lost. 

I’ve got a Kleinulator on the way, which obviously doesn’t have a valve but does very much the same job. Very interested to hear the results when it arrives. Especially being able to drop the volume a little and still have the amp doing it’s thing. 

What settings did you find worked well on the Loopalator?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I don't mind whack job, provided the music is excellent.
    Kaiser is like the anti-Belew, who did a very similar thing but contextualised it in good songs.

So much of Belew's solo work is steeped in the Beatles and he can write excellent songs.
    His experimentalism lands as a unique component whilst people can still sing along to the songs.

Kaiser's music has nothing that I can personally hook into and there doesn't seem to be any process based approach to connect to either- it sounds, to me, like noise without context.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader
    It is well known that the dumble effects loop need the loopalator, or whatever it iwas actually called to work properly
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1342
    Dan5150 said:
    shaunm said:
    Evening all.

I recent grabbed a Ceriatone Bluesmaster from the classified section on here. I’ve tried the loop with very short cables and a reverb pedal and it works ok but something definitely gets lost. 

I’ve got a Kleinulator on the way, which obviously doesn’t have a valve but does very much the same job. Very interested to hear the results when it arrives. Especially being able to drop the volume a little and still have the amp doing it’s thing. 

What settings did you find worked well on the Loopalator?
    Hi Dan,

Hope you're enjoying the HRM! 

The C-Later has some tone shaping options which are really useful with EQ'ing the OD channel on the HRM. The unit also useful to allow you to set the gain levels/EQ at the front end but then drive the phase inverter/power valves by pushing the output of the unit..

D' type amps sound great but it's a major balancing act over lots of variables! Great fun and a wonderful time sponge!

Have fun,

Si
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    @octatonic he can ram this bag pipe tones right up his hole
  • Slight detour from anuses and bagpipes but what reverbs have people used with good success in the loopalator? Ive a boss rv5 (in a TR Ts1) but would like something that blends more with the amp signal? Lewis hamiltons vid of the 19"rack reverb in his ceriatone sounded really nice...
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • I thought the loops were just rubbish and the extra thing was there to make them work properly... Maybe they lacked the gain required or something?

I only remember this as I looked at ceriatone kits and someone on the forum mentioned the loop fixing things. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Not long after I built my OTS I also built a Kleinulator. I but it into a 1U rack unit with various added options like a 9v power supply, hard bypass switch on a foot switch. 

Then I got a Nova Reverb and never used the Kleinulator again. The Nova has the ability to adapt to the signal level so works as well in the loop as it does in front of the amp. I'm not a big user of Reverb it's a nice to have but I'll often substitute a slapback delay in front and dispense with the hassle of setting up loop pedals. 

I dont really subscribe to the idea that it's necessary to get the best out of the amp. The master volume on these amps work very well and if you swap the bright on/off switch for a three way toggle that's enough to cover most guitars and volume levels. I do however use mostly the clean channel with pedals for tone sculpting. The Dumble od is great for lead but won't get you much by way of flexibility.

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    The FX Loop on Dumble amps and many Ceriatone clones is unbuffered. This can give issues in terms of both level matching and treble response roll off depending upon what you attempt to connect in the loop.

I bought a Fuchs / Plush FX Verberator which is a reverb and valve buffered FX loop in one unit. Not sure if they are still made but it works very well.