Jackson Basses?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
A non metal head, way back when I had a Charvel guitar, a hot rod metal looking thing, that I eventually sold. Probably should have kept it for old times sake.

Anyhow, always loved the necks, and in general the quality of Charvels and Jacksons.
Anyone play their basses? I would imagine, with active pickups, it limits things, but I would think the necks are super fast and playable, and could be great for a punk, rock covers type of thing.

Not sure how it would look on a regularly dressed bloke though.

The X Series David Ellefson bolt on looks good, but might have a few too many knobs on it...
The neck through PJ config has less knobs, more expensive.

Something to keep an eye out for used maybe.

I always liked Ellefsons sound in the context. Not sure how it would carry over into other genres.
Spied a few used Charvel, Jackson, Charvette PJ / P bass configs online and would think the neck would be good and fast on them. They'd look different anyway....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    I had a CX492 for several years. Lightweight P-style body, wide/shallow neck, reversed coils pickup, inexplicably loud.

My example had the Fender-shape headstock and "toothpaste" logo decal. The pointy/droopy headstock models can suffer from tuning stability issues due to the angled nut slots.

Charvette = laminate or particle board body. Avoid.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    @Funkfingers seems like it might be avoid all round then :/
    Ibanez might be the better option for something metal then ...
    edited April 2021
    Certainly, avoid the plywood 'vettes.

I understand why some players love the looks, the neck profiles and the trusty EMG or Duncan/Basslines pickups. On a practical level, many of these instruments are not really doing much that is not already possible with the usual brand F suspects.

If I knew what bass guitars you already owned, I would suggest replacement pickups that should get them sounding as good as the instrument(s) for which you are currently GASsing.

EDIT: Forgot to ask earlier, are you looking at four strings or five?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    edited April 2021
    @Funkfingers currentky have a Squier bronco (to be modded) , an Epi EB0 with flat wounds and a Tokai Ric bass copy.I suppose I am looking for something a bit “better” as a bit of a workhorse if gigs come back. Maybe the trusted p or j style pickup basses are popular for a reason !
    I was contemplating a Gibson SG bass but already have two short scales ...
    The X Series David Ellefson bolt on looks good but might have a few too many knobs on it. The neck through PJ config has less knobs, more expensive.
    It should come as little surprise that the through neck construction is the critical feature.

I would think the necks are super fast and playable
    This (and the cosmetic aspects) are the Charvel/Jackson unique selling point.

The best thing is to stop theorising. Get your hands on some of these basses and see how well they suit you.

a Tokai RIC bass copy.
    Do a Jason Newstead on it. 

I reckon that an EMG-35 series pickup could be squeezed under the R-style middle pickup metal surround. This may require a little wood removal but nobody will ever see it once the new pickup is installed.

The EMG-35 pickup is offered in several flavours. P, J, DC and TW (switchable between J and DC). 

The downside to this modification suggestion is the apoplexy it would cause to RIC purists. An Asian copy AND active electronics! 
  • I have three Charvel 1B's (P Bass) and a Charvel 2B (PJ). To thin the herd, one of the Charvel 1B's is on EBay currently and I can confirm the necks and general build quality is brilliant. Even if you don't like a pointy headstock (I do!) I'd recommend playing one as they are super instruments. 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    The Jackson Spectra basses look quite nice for the money, but they're not quite the 80s superstratty style.