Songs/tracks with utterly cringe moments?

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 6509
    HAL9000 said:
    The guitar solo on Easy Like Sunday Morning sets my teeth on edge every time I hear it.
    And the rest of the song doesn't?
    I want to be forgotten, and I don't want to be reminded
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 6941
    Also, the ‘We haven’t got a clue what to do’ bit in The Sweet’s Blockbuster - sounds as camp as a row of tents (but like the Meatloaf spoken bit I guess that’s the point).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 6891
    Haych said:
    The yodelling in Hocus Pocus, it's really rather a good song up to that point.
    No, without the yodelling, that song is just another Prog record. The yodelling makes it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Brad Paisley’s I’m Still a Guy. I understand that the song is tongue in cheek ( well, let’s hope it is) but it ends...

My eyebrows ain't plucked
    There's a gun in my truck
    Oh thank God I'm still a guy

...and you have a bit of a double take. I saw him on TV doing some live thing in the U.K. which included that song and an acknowledgment that a lot of British listeners have a bit of an issue with it. 
    I get what you mean about Brad Paisley - I can take him in small doses but some of his lyrics are very much in the ‘I got up this morning / Then I ate breakfast / It was coffee and eggs / Then I made my way to the shops’ mould.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    HAL9000 said:
    The guitar solo on Easy Like Sunday Morning sets my teeth on edge every time I hear it.
    And the rest of the song doesn't?
    Not quite as much as that sorry excuse for a guitar solo.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 1675
    edited May 5
    Philly_Q said:
    Dan_1 said:
    From Piece of Mind, which is probably my favourite Iron Maiden album, To Tame A Land is easily their worst track ever in my opinion. It’s so bad it’s cringeworthy. 

it's not good, is it?  My personal lowlight on that album is Quest For Fire. Truly terrible lyrics. I love the rest of the album though!

Not to mention sun and steel or the lyrics in still life.

When they make a good tune it's damn good but when they make a bad one it's almost comical. 
    Since we're talking Maiden, I've always hated Back in the Village on Powerslave.  Bruce's vocals on the chorus are just painful.  

Yep the duelists and flash of the blade aren't great either tbh. Compared to the other songs anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 8303
    dindude said:
    I like John Mayer but when his lyrics go all creepy it’s the cringiest thing, like the second verse to Still Feel Like Your Man when he’s banging on about shampoo bottles left in his shower, just no! 
    The Bold As Love cover he does on 
    Where The Light Is is even worse. All that rambling spoken nonsense, bleurgh. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Weaver85Weaver85 Frets: 26
    edited May 5
    The Kill kill kill kill part in one of the st anger tracks....Sweet Amber I think it is. actually pretty much that entire album.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 779
    Philly_Q said:
    Dan_1 said:
    From Piece of Mind, which is probably my favourite Iron Maiden album, To Tame A Land is easily their worst track ever in my opinion. It’s so bad it’s cringeworthy. 

it's not good, is it?  My personal lowlight on that album is Quest For Fire. Truly terrible lyrics. I love the rest of the album though!

When they make a good tune it's damn good but when they make a bad one it's almost comical. 
    Since we're talking Maiden, I've always hated Back in the Village on Powerslave.  Bruce's vocals on the chorus are just painful.  

Yep the duelists and flash of the blade aren't great either tbh. Compared to the other songs anyway. 
    Nooo! Powerslave is their finest moment!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 7422
    Dan_1 said:

Omg I LOVE that song - the eerie beginning and that FANTASTIC build up to the climax with those pedal points in the bass. 
    Anything that isn’t pentatonic is pretentious wank -  LastMantra
    more on the strength of my ability to own a PA than to play a guitar” - ICBM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 376

C.W. McCall - Convoy, 1978. It's actually pretty good except for the cringe moment, which starts at the beginning of the third bar and goes through to 4:02.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Hurling_FruitmigHurling_Fruitmig Frets: 217
    Tannin said:

C.W. McCall - Convoy, 1978. It's actually pretty good except for the cringe moment, which starts at the beginning of the third bar and goes through to 4:02.
    Err…, what’s your load Plastic Chicken?
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 236
    Cat's rap in Alphabet Street, except in retrospect it tips into "so bad it's good". 
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 236
    HAL9000 said:
    Brad Paisley’s I’m Still a Guy. I understand that the song is tongue in cheek ( well, let’s hope it is) but it ends...

My eyebrows ain't plucked
    There's a gun in my truck
    Oh thank God I'm still a guy

...and you have a bit of a double take. I saw him on TV doing some live thing in the U.K. which included that song and an acknowledgment that a lot of British listeners have a bit of an issue with it. 
    I get what you mean about Brad Paisley - I can take him in small doses but some of his lyrics are very much in the ‘I got up this morning / Then I ate breakfast / It was coffee and eggs / Then I made my way to the shops’ mould.
    I think that's part and parcel of the genre though, fairly simplistic (song and lyric wise, guitar playing is exceptional).

He does play on the comedic side of music too, see Ticks/Online. I'm still a guy doesn't push that side all the way though which makes it a bit awkward.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 2201
    Weaver85 said:
    The Kill kill kill kill part in one of the st anger tracks....Sweet Amber I think it is. actually pretty much that entire album.
    That's the last track, All Within My Hands. I really hate that too, it just sounds like they've run out of ideas. There are a couple of tracks on that album I like, but it's not great is it?

To answer the OP though, I could definitely live without the "No Mommy" bit in Down With the Sickness
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 742
    Philly_Q said:
    Dan_1 said:

can't believe I didn't mention Gangland off NOTB. Easily my least favourite Maiden song. Used to have endless conversations with my mate at school about how shit this song is. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 2566
    Gangland rules, as do all the maiden songs mentioned. 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 1389
    Gangland's fine, IMO.  But sticking with NOTB, if we're talking cringe-worthy bits in otherwise great songs:

Invaders... pillaging
    Invaders... looting
    etc.

(And the spoken bit in the OP is just fine.)
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 408
    I think the outro to Layla would be almost listenable if they had bothered to check the guitars were in tune with the damn piano.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 8099
    I think the outro to Layla would be almost listenable if they had bothered to check the guitars were in tune with the damn piano.
    I think the general idea is that if you've got all the way to the end of the track you must be stoned and the instruments will sound perfectly in tune. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 6491
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've just read every post here hoping that nobody had already mentioned this particular one.... and to my joy, they haven't.

Ram Jam's 'Black Betty'.  Fabulous song utterly destroyed by the stupid Benny Hill extension to the guitar solo.

I give you 02:00 in....

I will ruin it further for you...

You will sing that everytime you hear it now ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NeillNeill Frets: 895
    poopot said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've just read every post here hoping that nobody had already mentioned this particular one.... and to my joy, they haven't.

Ram Jam's 'Black Betty'.  Fabulous song utterly destroyed by the stupid Benny Hill extension to the guitar solo.

I give you 02:00 in....

I will ruin it further for you...

You will sing that everytime you hear it now ;)

He Heeee... Panda lamp, love it.

Talking of misheard lyrics there's one that never seems to come up among the usual suspects (Blue Seal in the Sky with Diamonds, Let's Pee in the Corner, etc etc) and I can't get it out of my head.  It's the Three Degrees "My Simple Heart" - when I heard it for the first time I thought why on earth are they singing about a bicycle pump..?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 11754
    Black Betty has a long and complicated history and seems to have started as a 19th century folk song about a musket. The Leadbelly version gave it new prominence and then the Ram Jam version which reintroduced the authentic 19th century extended guitar solos. There were attempts to get the record banned in the UK, I think it would be seen as racist, although it was still a hit twice. You probably have to know that the song is a metaphor rather than thinking it is a patronizing song about a black woman.  
    Inhale away Jackson Jeffrey Jackson. 
  • Hurling_FruitmigHurling_Fruitmig Frets: 217
    Neill said:

Talking of misheard lyrics there's one that never seems to come up among the usual suspects (Blue Seal in the Sky with Diamonds, Let's Pee in the Corner, etc etc) and I can't get it out of my head.  It's the Three Degrees "My Simple Heart" - when I heard it for the first time I thought why on earth are they singing about a bicycle pump..?

A long time ago Mark Radcliffe ruined (not that I actually ever chose to listen to it, it was just ubiquitous at the time) You Got The Love by The Source when he casually pointed out that it really did sound as if Candi Staton was singing "Sometimes I feel like throwing my pants up in the air".
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 1675
    edited May 7
    What's that one off use your illusions with the kind of EDM beat? I forgot about it because when I put the albums onto cassette I missed it out.

Edit ; "my world". 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 5450
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the awful 'Big boys don't cry' nonsense in 10cc's I'm Not in Love.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NeillNeill Frets: 895
    Hattigol said:
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the awful 'Big boys don't cry' nonsense in 10cc's I'm Not in Love.
    Because, until now, we had all erased it from our memories...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Hattigol said:

Oddly enough I was thinking about Dreadlock Holiday which is a song I always really liked but these days I have a bit of a double take at the lyrics. Open to interpretation maybe but not something that would get released these days perhaps. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 19484
    Hattigol said:

Oddly enough I was thinking about Dreadlock Holiday which is a song I always really liked but these days I have a bit of a double take at the lyrics. Open to interpretation maybe but not something that would get released these days perhaps. 

Is it bad? All I remember is he gets mugged then shags a bird. Loved that song as a kid. 
    axisus said:
    Hattigol said:

Is it bad? All I remember is he gets mugged then shags a bird. Loved that song as a kid. 
    I don't know although as I typed Dreadlock Holiday into Google it tried to complete it as Dreadlock Holiday is it racist  so I don't think I'm the first person to wonder. I'm not sure anyone gets shagged.

I was walkin' down the street
    Concentratin' on truckin' right
    I heard a dark voice beside of me
    And I looked round in a state of fright
    I saw four faces, one mad
    A brother from the gutter
    They looked me up and down a bit
    And turned to each other
    I say
    I don't like cricket (Oh no!)
    I love it
    I don't like cricket (No no!)
    I love it
    Don't you walk through my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet
    Well he looked down at my silver chain
    He said "I'll give you one dollar"
    I said you've got to be jokin' man
    It was a present from me mother
    He said "I like it, I want it
    I'll take it off your hands
    And you'll be sorry you crossed me
    You'd better understand that you're alone
    A long way from home
    And I say
    I don't like reggae (No no!)
    I love it (Eh!)
    I don't like reggae (No!)
    I love it (Eh!)
    Don't you cramp me style
    Don't you queer me pitch
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet
    I hurried back to the swimming pool
    Sinkin' pina colada
    I heard a dark voice beside me say
    "Would you like something harder?"
    She said, "I've got it, you want it
    My harvest is the best
    And if you try it, you'll like it
    And wallow in a Dreadlock Holiday"
    And I say
    Don't like Jamaica (Oh no!)
    I love her (Eh!)
    Don't like Jamaica (Oh no!)
    I love her (Oh yeah!)
    Don't you walk through her words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk through her words
    'Cause you ain't heard her out yet
    I don't like cricket (Oh no!)
    I love it (Dreadlock Holiday)
    I don't like reggae (Oh no!)
    I love it (Dreadlock Holiday)
    Don't like Jamaica (Eh!)
    I love her (Dreadlock Holiday)