Producers.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 508
    I'm just going to add a couple not mentioned so far,

Dave Jerdan, responsible for the first Jane's Addiction, and more importantly first couple of Alice in Chains.
    He got a bit disillusioned after spending a long time working on an album for a band called Violets Demise, which was finished but not released by the record company, a couple of tracks exist online, and it is an interesting example of a band that could have been massive, Oni Logan and Rowan Robertson, and a weird mix of AIC / Cult psychedelia.

Andy Wallace, for his early production of Walk this Way, and a few things like White Zombie and Jeff Buckley, before seeming to give up on production and concentrate on mixing, almost everything put out since the 90's, seriously.
    Nevermind and a go on Chinese Democracy are definite highlights.
    Magic ears there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4448
    Bob Ezrin.   He co-wrote Detroit Rock City, a very fine rock song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 369
    edited May 23
    Joe Baresi - Clutch, QOTSA, Kyuss, Tool
    Robert John Lange - Great work on Hysteria by Def Leppard 
    Robert Rich - Ambient/new age producer 
    Bob Rock - A divisive figure, but he did a great job on the Black Album. Also The Cult's Sonic Temple.
    Chris Kimsey - Night time by Killing Joke. Always loved the atmosphere on that record. 
    Eddie Kramer - Hendrix, Zeppelin.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 2466
    andy_k said:
    <snip>

Andy Wallace, for his early production of Walk this Way, and a few things like White Zombie and Jeff Buckley, before seeming to give up on production and concentrate on mixing, almost everything put out since the 90's, seriously.
    Nevermind and a go on Chinese Democracy are definite highlights.
    Magic ears there. 
    Grace is the fine album it is because of Andy Wallace. The 20th anniversary edition of Grace includes a 20 minute DVD documentary of how Grace was made. Very interesting in how he set things up to make life easy for the artist. It worked. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 6186
    I'd say Martin Hannett, responsible for the sound of Joy Division (& many others) at Factory Records through the late 70's-early 80's.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 2565
    Chris Goss - for Kyuss and QOTSA. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 19468
    There were just 2 albums I bought that really wowed me for production - Peter Gabriel So and Kate Bush Hounds of love. I thought that they both sounded AMAZING on release. KB seems less perfect to me now on account of programmed drums, but still a great album.

I hated the production of Soundgarden's Superunknown when I bought it. Could have sounded 200% better to me.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 6186
    edited May 24
    Phil Spector, despite his erm, 'peculiarities'.
    Also Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys & the man that made me buy a Tom Jones record o  Ethan Johns.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 1270
    I'd say Martin Hannett, responsible for the sound of Joy Division (& many others) at Factory Records through the late 70's-early 80's.

Gotta say I'm completely the other way with Hannett, I think he was a talentless chancer who ruined some records that could have been great. Listen to any Joy Division bootleg and it's obvious they were a massively powerful live band. The album just sounds really gutless. I guess he gave it an atmosphere but it could have been so much better.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 18634
    Dave Fridmann. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Fridmann#As_producer

Some seriously good albums in there.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 18634
    And kill me for not mentioning Gil Norton. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Norton
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 1377
    All the usual producers from rock bands of 70s and 80s, Bruce fairbairn, mutt Lange ,Mike clink ,
      Nigel green ,Martin birch ,jack Douglass ted templeman ,lots I can’t remember off record sleeves 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 10241
    Sam Taylor, who produced the first four King's X albums and the first two Galactic Cowboys albums.  I think the splits were fairly acrimonious, and no doubt there were issues on all sides, but neither band's been as good since.