How are you guys getting on with Lateral Flow tests?

axisusaxisus Frets: 19233
Maybe no-one else here is doing them at all? I'm twice a week at work, and bl**dy hell are they horrible!

Wife and daughters seem to do them no problem, but I have always had a Extremely sensitive nose. I have a displaced septum, and I have never been able to breath properly through my nose. Sticking that thing up there is so painful, my eyes flood with water, and I often end up sneezing uncontrollably afterwards for a while. It really is very unpleasant.

They are a total PITA, and I could get away with not doing them, but as I drop shopping off to my parents in the week it's actually great to have access to tests which I can do before going over.  

Do others find them OK?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 1941

I do them once per week as I have a son in High School.  They aren't the most pleasant thing to do but on a discomfort scale of 0 to 10, where 10 is getting your foreskin trapped in your zip, I'd say that a swab test falls below 1.

Probably expecting too much to get a medal for taking them.  Maybe they will issue a 'I've Taken a Covid Test' sticker to go alongside the 'I've Had My Covid Vaccination' one that we can show to our Grandchildren in years to come and say "I did my bit".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 29504
    I have no issue with them.
    Worse than a scratchy jumper but better than bowel surgery.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 1403
    In the past I've had a couple of tests at a test site, where someone did it for me, and it was fine.

For the free home test kits, I nearly made myself throw up when I went for an over zealous back of the throat swap, until I got the hang of it. No problems with the 'up the nose' swab, but I've got a big nose.

It's not a competition.
  • ColsCols Frets: 2998
    Bit of a pain in the neck, but I got used to it quickly.
  • I've been doing them twice a week since the start of December (front line NHS). Originally it kinda appealed to the nerdy side of my nature, I found it quite exciting doing the test and sitting staring at the test waiting anxiously to see which lines appeared.

That novelty wore off after about the third time I did it, and it's been just a bit tedious since then. However, it's been negative every time (touch wood), so can't complain really. Hardest part now is remembering to do it, though my girlfriend now has to do them too as she is a teacher, so we remind each other to do them when necessary. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 4630
    totally fine mate
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 8868
    We've got loads stacked up at home, the kids have to do them for school and we seem to have amassed a backlog. My son makes a right song and dance, retching and sneezing. Its the old tonsil tickler that does it for me.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 6878
    Ive had them Daily at times... no issue, piece of cake.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1434
    I don't notice anymore. I do lateral test twice a week and PCR one once a week. 
    In feb/March during emergency at work I did LFD everyday. Did so many over last 14 months I cannot count. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 16455
    We don't have lateral flow ones here but I've had a shitload of PCRs. They get easier with time - I assume a combination of me getting used to it and probably also the people administering them getting a bit better/gentler at it.