Which pressure cooker do you have?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitarmanglerguitarmangler Frets: 581
    I use the cheapest stovetop pressure cooker from Amazon pretty much exclusively for making one favourite dishes, the Indian lentil dal. It’s perfect every time and requires little brain power time. Before pressure cooker it would take hours, and I’d have to check it all the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5268
    edited May 2021
    yocky said:
    You can cook dried chickpeas in under an hour, rather than soaking overnight and simmering for 2 hours.
    Blimey! Now that is useful. I often want chickpeas and haven't thought ahead far enough and have to either use canned ones (a dreadful waste of resources, not to mention money) or go without. Consider me converted. Where do I sign?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753

Tonkotsu broth, that's an example.

Yeah, Instant Pot is great for that sort of thing. I make chicken stock every time we have bones. 2 hours in the pot, another 20 mins with the lid off just to be concentrate it. Absolutely fantastic. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    When I lived on my own and got.to decide what to cook.inused my Instant Pot a LOT.

I don't think anyone says they are "better" - I just like that way of doing things - bunch of veggies that'll all be ready at the same time - no pan supervision. And I'm.a fan of one/few pot cooking generally - lob it in and go do something else. 

I'm.sure the same is possible with other devices or.pans or.pots but I enjoy the peace of mind of a.sealed thing while I go and.ignore what's happening 

Pardon mobile typo random punctuation
    Red ones are better. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    This place is so middle class.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader

Yeah, Instant Pot is great for that sort of thing. I make chicken stock every time we have bones. 2 hours in the pot, another 20 mins with the lid off just to be concentrate it. Absolutely fantastic. 

Sounds interesting, what's the recipe?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    I use the cheapest stovetop pressure cooker from Amazon pretty much exclusively for making one favourite dishes, the Indian lentil dal. It’s perfect every time and requires little brain power time. Before pressure cooker it would take hours, and I’d have to check it all the time.
    I went to India a few years ago and pressure cookers are used in a lot of households, mainly used to cook pulses (lentils and chick peas) to avoid long cooking times. 

Literally a chicken carcass, big handful of salt, a good bit of black pepper, about 6 cloves of garlic and any scraps of veg you have going (veg not essential!). 

Fill up halfway with water, then High pressure for at least 2 hours, slow depressurise (usually because I forget about it) then sauté mode for 20 mins (lid off) to concentrate it down a little bit .

That’s my standard procedure - I’m sure you could cook longer if you wanted stronger flavour but that already gets it pretty gelatinous at fridge temps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812

Literally a chicken carcass, big handful of salt, a good bit of black pepper, about 6 cloves of garlic and any scraps of veg you have going (veg not essential!). 

Fill up halfway with water, then High pressure for at least 2 hours, slow depressurise (usually because I forget about it) then sauté mode for 20 mins (lid off) to concentrate it down a little bit .

That’s my standard procedure - I’m sure you could cook longer if you wanted stronger flavour but that already gets it pretty gelatinous at fridge temps. 
    That's essentially a ramen broth base, bet that tastes amazing.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491

That sounds pretty tasty. 

You'd make bombproof risotto with or great soup with it.
    Yep - you can't get it wrong and you'll never want store-bought stock again. 
  • yockyyocky Frets: 807
    This place is so middle class.
    Ah yes, the age old middle class signifiers of <checks notes> cooking cheap food more quickly :) 

They're shit at chips though I'll give you that.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    9 of the best pressure cookers of 2021:-

www.express.co.uk/life-style/style/1434604/best-pressure-cooker-electric-uk-evg
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 135
    I bought my Prestige pressure cooker  in a street market in New Delhi nearly 35 years ago .... at the time my partner and I were at the end of a three month  stint in India and had seen people using them everywhere .... the guy we bought it from persuaded us to by a spare blow off valve and rubber seal for the lid .... I still have the seal in its original packaging  !! It’s had plenty of use over the years mainly for doing pulses quickly .... I generally don’t use it for anything other than that as it’s aluminium and I believe it’s not too good to fry etc in aluminium... just pressure cooking is fine though.... my kids freak out when it goes off ha ha .. they’ll learn . 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11812
    Amazon Prime day, £49…gave it and bought an Instant Pot.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    This video is 8 years old, but I’m sure it still has some useful information.

https://youtu.be/IiCUKA7dDUs
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    pumkin said:
    I bought my Prestige pressure cooker  in a street market in New Delhi nearly 35 years ago .... at the time my partner and I were at the end of a three month  stint in India and had seen people using them everywhere .... the guy we bought it from persuaded us to by a spare blow off valve and rubber seal for the lid .... I still have the seal in its original packaging  !! It’s had plenty of use over the years mainly for doing pulses quickly .... I generally don’t use it for anything other than that as it’s aluminium and I believe it’s not too good to fry etc in aluminium... just pressure cooking is fine though.... my kids freak out when it goes off ha ha .. they’ll learn . 
    You’ve done really well for the lid seal to last that long. They tend to go hard and/or brittle and then leak after a few years.