Which offset

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
edited May 2021 in Guitar
I know there are countless discussions on Jaguar vs Jazzmaster on t'internet. But what the hell, one more won't hurt. I've wanted an offset for years, but can't, decide between the two. I have a Les Paul and a Strat. The main reason for wanting one is the tremolo action, for surf, shoegaze, indie etc. I've played a Jaguar ( @thermionic 's old Jag, felt very nice to play). It's a choice between long scale vs short scale, and the Jag single coils vs the Jazzmaster pickups. I can't see myself getting to a shop soon to try some out. On one hand, a Jaguar would be a good contrast to the Strat, with the shorter scale. On the other hand, the JM's bid, open, clean sounds are very appealing. There's so much great music made by both guitars!

There's currently a shortage of new stock online, Squier and Fender. I'd consider anything between a Squier to maybe £800. There are Fender players JM's, but I don't want humbuckers. The J Mascis JM looks cool (I love Dinosaur Jr) though is not a 'proper' JM, with P90's and the tremolo in a more forward position. Does that matter? I don't know. There are  Vintera 60's in Ice Blue about, they also looks cool. Jaguar wise there's little choice out there at the moment. No rush though, perhaps a used one will crop up soon.

I've spent far too much time pondering over this. Does anyone have any wisdom that may help me choose between the two? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7134
    edited May 2021
    Technically al J Mascis' Jazzmasters aren't 'traditional' as he adds non moving Tune-O-Matic style bridges. I've owned both his signature models and they are well thought out. Plus, I've owned vintage ones and modern ones. I'd suggest find one with frets and radius you like and just go play a few as soon as you can.

Currently, his purple sig is my favourite of all the ones I own.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    I like jags because they feel less similar to strats and teles. £800 should get you a roadworn or classic lacquer, which I regret selling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    For surf it has to be a jag doesn't it? 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    I went for a Jaguar for two reasons - it’s more different to Strat due to the scale length and switching, and secondly - what I really wanted was a Johnny Marr Jaguar (which I’ve ended up with).

However, a large part of my record collection is Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, MBV etc. I will probably end up with a Jazzmaster at some point.
  • PabcranePabcrane Frets: 489
    edited May 2021
    I found when I played a Mexican Jazzmaster (possibly a Player) while testing a pedal in a shop I found that the wang felt odd compared to mine - later I found out that they are, as you mention, closer to the bridge. You may in fact prefer that different, stiffer feel. Just be aware that (in my experience at least) they don't feel the same.

Edit: grammar
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    stonevibe said:

Is the bridge fitted backwards?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    I wanna say both..?

Bt srsly, for my money the Jazzmaster is overall a more versatile guitar that speaks more to me. But I've never had a really really great Jag, and definitely want to try that for a bit too. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    tFB Trader
    Lodious said:
    Is the bridge fitted backwards?
    It needs the intonation looking at
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    edited May 2021
    JM, super versatile guitars when they have good pickups. Sensible scale length. Just sort the bridge and shim the neck and you're golden. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    P90s and the tremolo in a more forward position. Does that matter?
    Yes.

P90-sized coils have stronger mid range shove than proper JM ones. 

Shifting the tailpiece closer to the bridge changes the feel of the wobble action and the pitches of the "sympathetic" resonances of the strings.

Does anyone have any wisdom that may help me choose between the two? 
    Don't choose. Buy both. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    edited May 2021
    It’s a tough choice to pick one or the other, maybe both is the answer! 

I’ve had a couple of Jaguars (Classic 60s Lacquer and a Johnny Marr) and a Jazzmaster (Vintera 60s) and liked them all.

I do like the Marr switching and have another en route shortly so that will be 3-1 to the Jaguar for me but I’d love an American Original Jazzmaster at some point.

• andymanandyman Frets: 58
    The Mascis JM was one of my favourite guitars for rocking out ever, but dear god is it too ice-picky. Practically unusable clean. The pots need changing in those things. The neck pickup kind of sucks, too.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    The only way to know is to own, or have owned, both a JM and a Jag.

•  Does anyone have any wisdom that may help me choose between the two? 

Get a Mustang?  =)
  • Thanks all, great advice as always. Getting both is the correct answer of course! Trying to stick to one in, one out though,, having just sold one, I’ve room for one more. I do live quite a distance from well stocked guitar shops so opportunities to visit and try them out are limited.

I may  just take the plunge on one and see how I get on with it. Perhaps a Squier Classic Vibe Jag or JM. The J Mascis still tempting, despite not being standard JM specs. The 60's Vintera JM in Ice Blue does look very very nice indeed though. 

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    If you get a JM or Jag I reckon you have to get a true-to-original one (i.e AV or AVRI, or AO) so that you can experience all of their foibles - replacing the bridge, changing the pots, adding a treble bypass....etc...
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 753
    Owning both a JM and a jaguar, the Jazzmaster is a lot more dynamic, full sounding and has this unique super fat, uncompressed sound from the pickups. Jag is bitey and angular. Whenever recording it's invariably the Jazzmaster that provides the meat and the Jag that gets to add the seasoning on top. I hope that's not a metaphor too far!

What to go for? CIJ is a great modding platform, MIM lacquers get a good write up. The recent ice blue one from the standard range looked lovely. 

American Original is a real step up but at least 50% more than your budget unless you were lucky like some of us and snapped up the FSR sonic blue AO jaguars that went up for £850-900 a few years ago. An absolute gem and aging gracefully (but quite quickly!!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • kentuckyklirakentuckyklira Frets: 961
    phil_b said:
    For surf it has to be a jag doesn't it? 

Mosrite!
    Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Owning both a JM and a jaguar, the Jazzmaster is a lot more dynamic, full sounding and has this unique super fat, uncompressed sound from the pickups. Jag is bitey and angular. Whenever recording it's invariably the Jazzmaster that provides the meat and the Jag that gets to add the seasoning on top. I hope that's not a metaphor too far!

What to go for? CIJ is a great modding platform, MIM lacquers get a good write up. The recent ice blue one from the standard range looked lovely. 

American Original is a real step up but at least 50% more than your budget unless you were lucky like some of us and snapped up the FSR sonic blue AO jaguars that went up for £850-900 a few years ago. An absolute gem and aging gracefully (but quite quickly!!)
    Just for clarity those sonic blue bargains were AVs, not AOs. Still among the deals of the century though. :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Perhaps, a Squier Classic Vibe Jag or JM. 
    A shop in Pembroke has a pre-owned Vintage Modified 60s Jaguar in pretty good condition. Unfortunately, for you, the proprietor refuses to ship. 

I am seriously tempted to buy this for myself but I already have a cupboard full of unfinished project guitars.

There are plenty of video presentations on YouTube and Discussions on this forum about modifications that have been inflicted on Squier offset guitars.

Owning both a JM and a jaguar, the Jazzmaster is a lot more dynamic, full sounding and has this unique super fat, uncompressed sound from the pickups. Jag is bitey and angular. 
    Fair description. I have one of each. I justify the Jaguar because some of the bitey angular sounds of which you speak cannot be extracted anywhere else. Thanks to Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups, mine does some nice Jazz/Blues too.

Jazzmaster ownership evaded me for decades, until 2019 and a transaction with HarrySeven. D'oh!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.