Which offset

What's Hot

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    The Jazzmaster also has the cutting angular thing in spades. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 753
    Apologies @Whitecat you're absolutely right! My bad. For the OP's reference, I believe the AV65 and American Original ranges are pretty similar, with the latter having a flatter fretboard and bigger frets, probably some other elements too. Quite different (in my opinion, for the better) compared to the older AVRI62 offsets, although they made a lot of them over a long time period so bound to be some good and some bad. 

@Funkfingers @Loobs you're both of course correct, they're much more versatile instruments than they're often given credit for. I reckon their core sound is JM = mellow and full, Jag = bright and sharp but can obv be wrangled in the opposite direction. 

Have to admit I'm mainly on the neck pickup with a Jazzmaster, it's thick without the woolyness or compression of a HB or even p90. With the Jag, I'm happier to switch the the bridge pickup and embrace that bright 'kerrang', sort of how you'd use an esquire. Like I say, versatile instruments, I'm certain others will do the exact reverse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1287
    Both JMs and Jags (when not sporting a buzz stop) have that slightly clangy, dissonant resonance from the string length behind the bridge which sounds so “alternative”.

This track really illustrates this sound I think:
    https://youtu.be/SuW52ZMcZ5I
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    When I heard the opening chords to that, I thought “definitely Jazzmaster, it’s got that big, broad, neck pickup sound”. They’re closer in sound than I thought.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited May 2021
    Ok, I've taken a punt on a Classic Vibe Jazzmaster 60s in Surf Green, now in stock at Andertons. Don't see sense in spending too much till I'm familiar with offsets and their quirks. I'll let you know how I get on - I have been reading up on set up, neck shims etc!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Check out the YouTube videos of Puisheen. Plenty of helpful set-up and modification hints for offsets on all price levels. Much of the information is transferable between Jag and JM. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RonnieHotdogsRonnieHotdogs Frets: 187
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Lodious said:
    stonevibe said:

Is the bridge fitted backwards?
    Doubt it was even in tune when I took that photo, the top E is hanging off from the looks of it as well. Pretty sure it was in some weird Sonic Youth tuning at the time.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Check out the YouTube videos of Puisheen. Plenty of helpful set-up and modification hints for offsets on all price levels. Much of the information is transferable between Jag and JM. 
    Thanks @funkfingers , yes I've watched a few of his vids, the one on the Classic Vibe JM concluded it was very good after a few tweaks and properly set up. So I'm fully expecting it to arrive set up horribly! I see he's got a column in the Guitar magazine too, knows his offsets that's for sure. His video about playing behind the bridge is also quite a revelation. 
    Another video of interest is a Jaguar/JM bridge shoot out comparison. (Not by Puisheen.)
  • RichardTRichardT Frets: 71
    "Does anyone have any wisdom that may help me choose between the two?" Aye. Get a non-reverse Firebird while you're agonising over your decision, and then throw your hands up in despair and get one of each.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    RichardT said:
    "Does anyone have any wisdom that may help me choose between the two?" Aye. Get a non-reverse Firebird while you're agonising over your decision, and then throw your hands up in despair and get one of each.

If only there was a 'lol AND wis' button...
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9273
    I went through the same as you a couple of months back and got a jag and a jazz. I’ve had both before several times and not bonded with either. The jag sounds plinky and a Jazzmaster feels surprisingly big, even if you’re used to 25.5 scale. 
    This time though the jazz has gone but the jag as stayed. The jag is still plinky but it’s got great cleans and the traditional switching is actually really easy and intuitive. It’s a very versatile guitar, more so than a jazz in my view 
  • RichardTRichardT Frets: 71
    "...but the jag has stayed." What flavour of Jag did you plump for?
  • chris78 said:
    I went through the same as you a couple of months back and got a jag and a jazz. I’ve had both before several times and not bonded with either. The jag sounds plinky and a Jazzmaster feels surprisingly big, even if you’re used to 25.5 scale. 
    This time though the jazz has gone but the jag as stayed. The jag is still plinky but it’s got great cleans and the traditional switching is actually really easy and intuitive. It’s a very versatile guitar, more so than a jazz in my view 
    Interesting. Perhaps I should get a Squier Jag too! No, do not tempt me,  I'll see how I get on with the Jazzmaster first. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    I’ve just got my second Johnny Marr Jaguar and I’m wondering why I sold the first, so my answer this week is Jaguar.
  • Ok, the Classic Vibe JM has arrived. As expected the set up is not good. The fretboard is dry with the odd glue mark, there's a scraping feel when bending strings, the bridge is pinned to the body, the nut slots are a bit high. But, from the various stuff I've read and watched, I think, hope, I can get it playing good with a set up, hydrate fretboard, polish frets, shim neck, raise bridge, heavier strings etc. It's a project!

On the plus side, the pick ups sound bright an full, and the feel of the tremolo is great, exactly what I'm after, and it looks great. I can see and feel the potential for a great guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    the pickups sound bright and full
    Damn! I shall soon have a pair of Fender AV65 JM pickups to sell. 

TBH, bright stock pickups are in keeping with Sixties Fender offset guitars. (My own taste is for the darker Fifties voicing of Duncan Antiquity 1 pickups.) If they are super bright, you might not need a Jaguar after all. Depends on how much distortion you use.
  • the pickups sound bright and full
    Damn! I shall soon have a pair of Fender AV65 JM pickups to sell. 

TBH, bright stock pickups are in keeping with Sixties Fender offset guitars. (My own taste is for the darker Fifties voicing of Duncan Antiquity 1 pickups.) If they are super bright, you might not need a Jaguar after all. Depends on how much distortion you use.
    When I say bright.... don’t really have a baseline to compare with. We’ll see, those pickups might be of interest!

This video, he seems to have exactly the same issues that I have..... and shows how to sort them out

https://youtu.be/aF1DDmQP55M
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8789
    The correct answer is, as ever, ‘Jazzmaster’

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom